Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hey uh this is kind of emberrasing but...

9 years ago

I don't know how to write any books and when i go to the my stuff the page goes blank...

9 years ago
When you first click on "My Stuff" it will take you to the sub-group "Storygames" under that category. That page will not have anything in it until you start working on a story.

But before you do that, I recommend you spend some time in the "Writing Workshop" section of the forums if you don't have many writing skills yet. It is an excellent place to practice and get advice. Kiel_Farren is currently doing a weekly/daily writing drill. That would be a good place to start.

But if you want the bare basics of story writing, consider these story concepts.

Tom wakes up, has coffee and a bagel, goes to work, files papers, drives home, eats dinner, and the end.

This is boring. Who cares? Sure Tom does things, but there is no plot and no connection. Every story needs a plot, a reason for things to happen. Now picture this.

Tom suffers from chronic stress and a caffeine addiction. There's no coffee in the cupboard, so as the day wears on, he gets a massive migraine, hampering his productivity and making him moody. He works as a legal consultant, but he hates the job, only staying for the benefits, which he needs to pay for his daughter's cancer treatment. His daughter's illness and his dislike of his work compound with his already high stress levels, which has resulted in a significant drop in his work performance. His boss tells him he needs to have a sharp turn-around or he's fired.

Do you see the difference? We have the same basic elements here as in the first example, but there is a reason for all of them. This makes the writing stronger. In this second example we also draw a connection with the character. Who can't relate to having a sick relative or working a job they don't like? This makes us care what happens to Tom.
---

A few more tips, good writing uses strong nouns and verbs and used adjectives and adverbs sparingly.
The little child pets the big dog. <-- This is weak.
The toddler pets the St. Bernard. <-- This is stronger. "Toddler" and "St. Bernard" provide a clearer picture using less words.

Use active voice as much as you can. Active voice makes the scene come to life. Passive voice utilizes weak verbs.
Molly was riding the horse. <-- Passive voice.
Molly rode the horse. <-- Active voice.

These are rather simple examples, but I hope they help. As I said, you can find more assistance in the Writing Workshop.

9 years ago

*gives Bucky the title of The Most Helpful Guy/Girl on CYS!

Good job! I'm proud of you!

9 years ago
I appreciate the compliment, but I think that honor belongs to @Kiel_Farren

9 years ago

Gives Bucky the 'Modest helper' trophy