Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Question about Fan Fiction, rules and ideas

6 years ago
I can't seem to find any information on this, so thought I'd make a thread here.

Let's say I wanted to do an "alt" fan fiction of, say, Super Mario Bros. In this storygame, Mario would be some New Jersey plumber with a drinking and cocaine problem or something, and after some sort of massive car accident gets launched into the Mushroom Kingdom (a place of horror, of course). Let's say Mario goes through "alt" versions of everything he has to do in the game. The point is, I'd be following the general plot of the game, except adding a bunch of dialog and putting a weird R rated twist on it.

Would this kind of thing be allowed? I'm worried about copyright stuff here. I think this would fall under fair use, but I'm not sure.

6 years ago

Wasn't there a Youtube video where Mario was some mushroom addict and couldn't cope when he returned to earth?

Anyway, it's fanfic and you're not publishing it for profit so it would be fine here. If it wasn't, we might as well purge the entire fanfic section.

6 years ago

https://youtu.be/mgbuHms0-fU

6 years ago
The Mario movie itself is pretty strange and about as far removed from the source as it's possible to get.

6 years ago
Fanfic is the category that basically trumps all here. I'd call it fanfic and then put in any other tags that apply. That's basically what I'll be doing with my 'inspired by Redwall' story even after jettisoning everything else but the general theme and name of the place.