Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

The "Hi, I'm new!!!" post you'll never read

6 years ago

Hey, guys. I'm SixtySnakes (don't ask why I chose that username. Something to do with alliteration.) 

I've actually been hanging around this site for a while now (discovered it a year ago, made an account, forgot about it, made a new one.) So... Hi. 

I don't really need help when it comes to variables or items, though I do have a question: is it possible to have a 'random' choice? That is, there is a 50 percent chance for the reader to get sent to page 1, and a 50 percent chance for the reader to get sent to page 2, without having to use two links? 

Any other pointers to things to read or writing advice (specific to choose your own adventures or not) would be appreciated. 

Excited to begin writing :) 

- SS 

6 years ago
Hey, welcome to the site! Or officially to the forum, anyway. As far as getting a handle of scripting goes, there's a lot of useful stuff in the articles. Scripting Random Encounters and Events sounds like what you're looking for.

6 years ago

Thank you! I'll be sure to read that. 

6 years ago

Hey there! I'm excited to see what you'll create here! I'm always up for brainstorming, proofreading, or even an occasional illustration.

6 years ago

Thanks. Hopefully I'll actually have something to proofread soon ':D I'm guessing by your profile pic that you're an artist? So am I. A bad one, but an artist nonetheless. 

6 years ago

No problem. Haha, correct! If you practice and get advice, you'll be sure to get better at your art.

6 years ago
Hello and welcome!:)

For the random page thing you can just create a variable (e.g: %RAND) and use this in the link script (turn I advanced editor first):

%RAND := 1D2
IF %RAND = 1 THEN $DEST:= @PX
ELSE $DEST:= @PY

Where X and Y are the appropriate page ID numbers. Hope this helps and good luck!

6 years ago

Thank you. Now I must only decipher what that means...

6 years ago
No worries:) Comments in #'s below in purple.

%RAND := 1D2 #Sets the variable %RAND (or whatever you want to call it) equal to a die with 2 sides and rolls the die.#
IF %RAND = 1 THEN $DEST:= @PX #Checks the value of the die, and if it's equal to 1 then it links to the page to whatever page has ID number of 'X'#
ELSE $DEST:= @PY #If it isn't equal to 1 (so has to be 2) it links to the page with ID number 'Y'.#

This gives a 50/50 chance of ending up on either page seeing as the computer randomises the die for you. If you wanted to do a third chance between 3 pages, for example, you could do something like this (without the comments):

%RAND:= 1D3 #Sets %RAND equal to one die with 3 sides this time and rolls it.#
IF %RAND = 1 THEN $DEST:= @PX #Same stuff as above but with one more option.#
IF %RAND = 2 THEN $DEST:= @PY
ELSE $DEST:= @PZ

There are lots of articles if you're not sure how to do something and they usually have the answers as long as it's not too complex (like creating randomly ordered arcs... ugh).

6 years ago

Alright, I understand how to do it now :D Thank you. 

6 years ago
Welcome to the site, I do hope you enjoy your time here.

6 years ago

Eh, I'll probably be gone in a few days. 

6 years ago
What kind O' snakes?

6 years ago

Sneky sneks. Hisssss.