Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago
Well today just sucks all around. :(

He went into cardiac arrest earlier and they found him unconscious. There was a mistaken report that he was dead put out a little while ago but this is actually worse. He's completely unresponsive and may be braindead.

I know it can't really compare to the shooting but Jesus this makes me sad. :(

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

Yeah, I just heard about this, but there seems to be conflicting reports on him being dead or not.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

Well, that's rather depressing. 

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago
I'm afraid it's official now. He is gone, like many others these two years.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

Yes, it's a shame so many have died in these two years specifically, unlike those lucky fucks who died theee years ago or before.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago
Well, I was just mentioning it for the high number of famous musicians that died these two years, like Leonard Cohen or David Bowie. Sure, plenty of people die every day, but there has been a particularily high number of high profile casualties during this period, especially in 2016. Besides, three years is too long of a time for anyone to care about deaths, right?

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

No there wasn't. Everyone kept claiming that loads of celebrities died last year, which was statistically a crock of shit. 

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago
People like Leonard Cohen, David Bowie, George Romero as End points out below, etc; all in the span of a year and a half? I don't know how many artists and actors die per year and if the number in the time period we are talking about is any higher or lower than others, but I don't think that is what people refer to and it is certainly not what I refer to.

What I mean is that a larger than usual sum of highly known and influential people has died these two years, especially on 2016 and also what has passed of this current year. Sure, you could argue the level of "known and influential", and perhaps you are right and some people, including me, are just exagerating this due to forgetting the past few years as it usually happens with a lot of things, but I don't think it does in this particular case. The three people I mentioned, and they are not by far the only ones, were famous, symbols and pioneers in their art. I doubt the number of dead people that fit this characteristics was as high in 2015.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago
Don't get in an argument with Steve. It's just not worth it.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago
Well, for one occasion in the whole year in which I have time to waste, I might as well do it like a professional.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

Yes, actually, that's not unusual. We had loads of famous people die in 2015, 2014 and all years previously. Some jackass inaccurately thought that some spectacular number of celebrities died in 2016, which just wasn't true if you look at who died in prior years. It was a stupid misconception that, since you're co tinting it past 2016 to include 2017, now still continues to this day, and I find this incredibly frustrating.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago
As I said, I don't know the raw data, and it might as well be an error of perception as you say, but I for one don't recall anyone of high note dying in 2015 while those three, for instance, died in 2016 (then again I am a big enthusiast of Leonard Cohen and David Bowie, so that may be the case). Perhaps people just have fickle memories and the same will be said every year, but again that didn't seem to be the case back in 2015 and I fail to see why anyone would be mistaken in this unless said people died in such a quick succession there seemed to be far more than there actually were, which wasn't the case. A statistical coincidence may happen, they constantly do.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

Leonard Nimoy, BB King, Wes Craven, Christopher Lee, the co-creator of Simpsons, the guy behind Stand By Me (the song), Rowdy Roddy Piper, the main guy from Motorhead, Jackie Brown from those shitty books girls love for some reason... yeah, a lot of people died in 2015. But no, let's continue repeating the stupid idea that 2016 and now 2017 are renown for their celeb kill count.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

Who tf are half of those people?

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

Ah, only just saw this. So far we have iconic actor, iconic musician, iconic director, iconic actor, co-creator of incredibly iconic show, iconic singer, iconic wrestler, member of iconic band and iconic writer.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

You sound like Ubisoft. Just tell him he's living under a rock and get it over with.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

I can understand not recognizing Lemmy. Not everybody's into his awesome music. But if you don't know Rowdy Roddy Piper I think I'll have to disown you as my... I dunno what you were before this, but consider yourself disowned!

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

I knew Lemmy, I'm a music buff (kind of) obviously the Simpsons co-creator, although I never heard about it, and BB King rings a bell. He's a jazzy guy, right? I dunno. But nobody else.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

I'll calling trolling. Other than the author, you've chosen the least well known of the people named to know, when the others are Spock, Count Dooku/Sarumon/Dracula, a very famous horror director behind A Nightmare on Elsm Street and fucking Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

Have you followed Hulk Hogan's wrestling storylines at all? Are you seriously unobservant enough to have never seen the man who's just straight up appeared as himself in everything from G.I. Joe to Saints Row IV? Have you never ever looked into the origin of kicking ass and chewing bubblegum? And you claim to be a cultured being.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

I remember in 3rd grade when the gym teacher was asking us which athlete was our role model, everyone was giving names of all these people I didn't know or give a shit about since I never was into the traditional popular sports.

When she finally got to me, I proudly exclaimed Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

Don't forget about Carrie Fisher. She's the lady who played Princess Leia. 

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago
Followed immediately by her mother Debbie Reynolds. Right at the time when she was needed to actively be Princess Leia again too. (I remember wondering how weird it will be for the families of dead actors to see their fake young again CGI faces in stuff like Rogue One if that just becomes the norm...)

And of course Anton Yelchin for another Star related death, this one Trek. He wasn't nearly as big a name as the others but had a major career ahead of him, and that one was so out of nowhere. Dude wasn't old or on drugs or doing anything stupid, just standing in his driveway.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

I'll seriously miss all of the great actors and singers which died. Tom Petty was a fabulous singer, but I will miss Carrie Fisher and the others peeps as well. 

I'll always prefer Tom Petty's music than this 2017 trash. All the dubstep and everything involved makes the songs really trashy. Not to mention the weird lyrics. 

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

Given all the popularity of zombies, I was more surprised that George Romero's death didn't get more attention earlier this year.

And with Tobe Hooper also just recently dying, John Carpenter's about one of the last major horror directors left that was making a lot of stuff during the height of 70s-80s horror.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

I’m sorry but every time I read this title I keep hearing it in that old video game voice of Gauntlet where the game says stuff like “Wizard is about to die!”

Anyway, just to stay on topic here’s some of Tom’s weirder videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JvF9vpqx8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1D3a5eDJIs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aowSGxim_O8

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

Oh, I remember gauntlet. Not in the "I was there to experience the real deal" way, but I remember playing it in a few arcades I've been to. It was pretty dificult, and was obviously a shameless moneywhore game.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

If you're not playing on console, you have only yourself to blame!

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

Personally, I feel console ports of arcade games take away the niche of the arcade game.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

I mean, sure, there's games like Carnevil, Centipede, or that one Submarine Sim that are much better in the big TV box, but if you're gonna play a Quarter-cruncher like Contra 3 or Gauntlet, it's so much better to have built an arcade machine in the comfort of your own home or have it emulated or something less crazy exorbitant.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago
You are welcome to buy anyone in here a personal arcade machine so that they may enjoy the classics properly, no one will complain.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

Hey, I just said that I enjoy arcade machines, I didn't say that I can afford to play them.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

I mean, as long as you pay for paint and lumber and have some nerd slaves in the area, it's not that hard to stick a TV and a desktop tower into a custom cabinet and then use USBs to put different controls into it.

Though to be honest I always wondered what it'd be like to play something like Super Mario 64 on one of those Polar Position things with the chair and the steering wheel/pedals and shit.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

Yes, Sentsei. With this information, I'd be willing to give the game a second chance.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

You also need to get a friend to play with you, so you can yell at them for shooting the food.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago

Noted.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago
I can never decide if this, or Won't Back Down are my favorites. Free Fallin' definitely best for bringing the feels after losing him though.

Tom Petty about to die

6 years ago
What about MJ?