Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Ever hear of the Battle of Camarón?

6 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Camar%C3%B3n

It's a battle widely known to soldiers today, yet almost unknown to civilians. It was one of the most amazing events in all of military history, and a defining moment for the French Foreign Legion. 65 men of the Foreign Legion were attacked and besieged by 3,000 Mexican infantry and cavalry, but they managed to hold the Mexicans off for hours and refused to surrender, fighting to their last. Incredible stuff.

6 years ago
You see?! SEE?! what the fuck is this!!‽

This one doesn't even make sense it's not even relavent to anything! Is this bait? Is this some form of trolling? Is it a code? Is this the new cicada puzzle? Is it a CYOA int he works?

6 years ago
Yeeeeah I'm legitimately getting spooked now. I feel like they HAVE to be up to something but I just can't figure it out and that's what worries me. Are these all alts gradually infiltrating the forum? Are they bots? Are they just trying to get close enough to lay their eggs in us?

Anyone reading this: if any of these fresh crop of newbs attempt to contact you personally, inform the authorities at once.

6 years ago

I doubt it's almost unknown ot civilians, seeing as I've heard of it. Anyhow, it was pretty cool battle, a spectacular event, but this is just factually incorrect. They didn't refuse to surrender and fight to their last. They ended up surrendering and were taken prisoner. They certainly didn't fight to their last, over a quarter were taken prisoner.

6 years ago

Well, that's not what I heard from my dad, who first told me about the battle and said both of those things. Oh well, it's still pretty cool.

6 years ago

Well, he's wrong. Actually get the facts about it rather than just hearing old stories.

Speaking of cool famous battles, you know what else was a cool battle and has a Netflix movie? The Siege of Jadotville. An Irish peacekeeping force  held off against a far larger force of Belgian, French and Rhodesian mercenaries for ages, with pathetic support from the rest of the UN. They killed over 300 enemies without a single Irish life lost, before running out of ammo and surrendering.

Then, because the world is shit, they were fucked over by the rest of the world, and not one of them even got a lousy medal.

6 years ago

Yeah, serves me right for not doing my own research. I just looked up the Siege of Jadotville, and now I feel sad. Nobody deserves to treated the way those Irish soldiers were.

6 years ago

Your ignorance is forgiven. I agree it is sad about those Irish soldiers. You should watch the Netflix film about it, the Siege of Jadotsville. It's sick. I remember wondering why they were so PG in not showing any Irish soldiers dying, even showing the pilot escaping the crashing helicopter, before it turned out none of them died in real life.

6 years ago

Read through the wiki page you linked.

Prisoners weren't all taken at the same time (if I understood it properly, was more skimming than reading). In the end it was three who surrendered, one of the conditions being medical aid for a lieutenant.
The rest were captured over the course of the fighting (if, again, I understood properly).

Tho yeah, still an interesting battle.

EDIT - Also they were given multiple chances to surrender, they refused all but the last one. So it isn't like they immediately just dropped their weapons, they did fight a lot first.