Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Length of stories

5 years ago

I'm making a pretty big story right now. Is there like a certain point where you can't write anymore, and you reach the max limit of characters? For example my story is currently the size of your average game and I'm only just finished with chapter 1 out of many.. Just want to ask this before I continue anything.

Length of stories

5 years ago
There's no limit, I'm sure you're fine.

Length of stories

5 years ago

Thanks bro

Length of stories

5 years ago
No problem. Out of curiosity, what do you consider the length of an average game to be?

Length of stories

5 years ago
I'd like to know this too.

e: apparently they believe the average game contains 8000 words.

Length of stories

5 years ago

Not really sure. I was just looking over some games that were rated like 4/8 in play length, and that's about the size of my story right now. 

Length of stories

5 years ago
Yeah you can't really go by that, it scales more slowly in the upper categories and uses some formula to include scripting and things, and once you hit 8/8 there's nothing above that.

Your story isn't going to reach the length of Dead Man Walking or Eternal and even those never hit any kind of limit.

Length of stories

5 years ago

ok thanks for the advice, also I looked at your profile and found some great tips to help with my writing. For example grammarly lol. I'll use those tips in my story. 

Length of stories

5 years ago
Glad it helped and lol yeah having a polished and complete story is a lot more important for making a good first impression than spending a bunch of time on some huge epic that's such a mess no one will be able to read through it.

Usually we do recommend people start off with smaller projects, if you're not used to the CYOA format a story can really start to get away from you and a lot of newbies get frustrated and quit.

Length of stories

5 years ago

Yeah, that's why my first game will be more story based. It will be a story about different options and outcomes. One of those stories with different endings. It won't be an advanced game or whatever you guys call it. And it won't have any items. 

I have been thinking about the idea for my story for a while now so I hopefully won't quit. 

I'll just try to become familiar with the layout of the editor and all. 

Length of stories

5 years ago
I think a 56k storygame was only a 5 or 6 out of 8. We've got stories here upwards of 500k with no issue, so I wouldn't worry about length. (As long as you don't make a story that's 500 words or something, those never survive).

Length of stories

5 years ago

I guess i'll be fine then. My story is no where near 500k words

Length of stories

5 years ago
Over a million words/2000 pages in DMW. You won't hit a Max.

There is a Max in the Scripting box though, something like 32 word docpages, so...