Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Interactive Fiction Database

5 years ago
http://ifdb.tads.org/

The IFDB is the big giant collection of interactive fiction and reviews, basically the closest thing to a focal point that community has. Some years ago there was some clashing between CYS and the IF community's views on what 'real' interactive fiction was and there was alot of (rightful) elitism about dumb clickfest CYOAs being included under that. But since then they've fallen over in complete surrender, let some COG admin write the rules for their forum and let something as cool and unique and immersive as parser IF be overrun by waves of utterly forgettable Twine trash. (They lost the war for their identity immediately when Twine authors convinced the weak bitch-like and easily swayed SJWs among them that not liking Twine games meant you were a misogynist.)

But that's just the current state of the mainstream IF community. (Not including games written with ADRIFT or Quest that have their own sites centered around their authoring programs and are less faggy overall.)

Like at COG and even here however there's a great silent majority of people just on the lookout for cool games who don't get involved with the community, and these people when browsing the database will only find three CYS games. Well, two CYS games. Now that GoLaD is gone they've got Through Time and Price of Freedom, both good games but, obviously we've got a lot more.

I'd like to encourage you guys to make accounts there and start listing a few. It's all a wiki style set up so you can list other people's games as well as your own. Featured games seem like the obvious place to start but there's really no limit to the amount we can put up, just try to keep it to games you'd honestly recommend as a good first impression of the site to potential newbies.

If you can contribute reviews over there that would be fantastic too, but just a note to not include spoilers or at least don't do it without a very visible warning. Posting spoilers is something that community has ingrained in them as being more evil than ISIS so definitely don't do that, it may turn readers off. Keep the comments kind of general and focused on the quality of the game, initial plot premise, amount of branching etc.

And yes, I will bribe you with points you apathetic fucks.

5 years ago
The patriotic fervor to promote the site to new CYOA fans I'm witnessing in this thread is truly overwhelming.

5 years ago

To be fair, the TVtropes crowd might be a bit more into CYS stories due to generally being a bunch of bored fuckers always looking for entertainment of any kind. It'll be a mixed bag, but that's about as good as it ever gets anyway.

The IF crowd on the other hand will probably come here (if at all) and do a lot of sneering and turning up their noses at "CYOA" stories and just read through a few before going on about how IF is a superior form when compared to CYOA.

And if I'm REALLY lucky, I'll get a couple of those elitist dickheads leaving some long winded comment going on about how much one of my stories sucked.

So yeah, I highly encourage one of you to start putting our stories in the database, if only for the lulz.

5 years ago
I'd do it myself but I've got these fairies to determinedly not get around to writing about you know.

5 years ago

My dude, be like Thanos in Age of Ultron.

"Fine. I'll dewit myself."

5 years ago
I'm going to list all the featured ones and then award points to myself, just I need to write several thousand words about fairies first.

help i need a smart person

5 years ago
Someone explain why the link listed here under 'Download' is all fucked up. There is nothing wrong with my link, the site just keeps inserting crud like %u200 when I save it. The link on Briar's game on the other hand work's fine.

ugggh this broken link is shaming us in front of the IF people and I am very angry

5 years ago
on mobile so I cant really provide a for sure answer but have you tried making the link http instead of https?

5 years ago
Got it. Stupid damn captcha took 10 minutes. It liked the double slash after the colon, but didn't like single slashes, so I put those in backwards and it worked.

5 years ago
Ffs, that is so stupid.

Looks like somebody broke the 'Web page' link under Endmaster's name in the meantime but that's fixed now too.

Good job everyone it only took us 17 edits to list one page!

You'd think they'd include a preview button for that since they have one for reviews.

5 years ago
New listing for Dungeon Stompage!

Why the backwards slashes work I will never understand.

5 years ago

Odd that you chose Suzy as the first story to put on there, but I suppose it is the most diverse one.

5 years ago
I saw the person looking for games with female protagonists first.

5 years ago
Now that there are a few games up over there and more to come, I'm manually giving two points each now and for all time for reviews of CYS games as long as they follow the no spoiler policy and are at least like, three sentences and not otherwise am embarrassment.

People who write many reviews or especially useful ones will unlike further prizes. .

Also, if someone with an account has a minute can you run through all the Endmaster games up so far and add sexual content tags?

I already have the fact that they contain mature content spelled out in the descriptions but can't really go around assuming people read things, plus also it will likely send some extra perverts our way since those are the people most active in the IF community now.

Although not that we really need the extra clicks honestly, we have way more people reading and reviewing games on our site than in the entirety of the IF community outside of the iFComp is seems like.

5 years ago

Added the Sexual Content tags and made a page for Fairview Highschool Game. - http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=xuhks7aqu38zkm3p

It hasn't aged very well compared with how the website has improved but I still enjoy it for it's surreal story and infinitely relatable theme of hating school.

5 years ago
Appreciate it! I'm going to be adding these for awhile, very very slowly so any assistance helps a lot to speed things up.

And if any of you want to help out but don't feel like listing the games, it just takes a minute to make an account so you can rate the games or write a quick review. You could rack up points pretty quickly with just a couple sentences each about games you've probably already read.

5 years ago

Added a review to Fairview Highschool Game and added a page for the first in the Homo Perfectus series - http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=3nf4949clth6g4tx (will add the other 7 in due time). I'll probably keep on doing this on a semi-regular basis, at best daily. Also, should I keep on updating by replying to this thread?

5 years ago
I've been checking the IFDB pretty frequently so unless I go a few days without giving you your points you don't have to mention every one, but of course I don't object to keeping the thread bumped.

5 years ago
Seems very interesting, will take a better look at it when I'm not busy.

5 years ago

Looks cool! I'll give it a look when I have the time! 

5 years ago

Okay because pretty much only me and Mizal are adding anything and making an IFDB page is actually ridiculously easy (just repeat Ctrl+Z a lot) I might as well try to automate this.

https://repl.it/@tcpooljacob/CYS-Storygame-Lookup-Bot

^ Please excuse the dirty code and formatting, I made this on a whim. 

Anyways, it should scrape some (text-only) details from whatever storygame's URL you enter in. Though, it'll take a while to load at first.

-----

It's pretty far away from auto-generating IFDB pages and then actually creating them on the website but I should PROBABLY be done with this by early next year.

This isn't much of an update but I needed an excuse to bump this thread. Plus, unless more people start adding pages then it's going to take 4 years to get all the storygames on IFDB, so automating it might be more efficient.

5 years ago
Sounds interesting, I'll take a look at... whatever this is when I'm at a computer again. I haven't listed anything in a few days, I'm in the middle of working 12 days straight right now so have basically opted to just sleep a bunch when I'm home.

Not really intending to list ALL the games of course, only the good ones.