Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

I just joined!

4 years ago

Though, I've used this site since I was younger and made a few really bad stories which I apologize for. I am looking to make some stories soon and I'll be glad to share em. Hi, all!

I just joined!

4 years ago
Hello, and welcome officially to the site. What sort of stories will you be writing?

I just joined!

4 years ago

Mostly stories that are either fantasy or science fiction. Or science fantasy. Like I am doing right now.

I just joined!

4 years ago
Oh, cool. What's the branching style like?

I just joined!

4 years ago

Not sure. Though if you don't mind me asking, branching style? I'm a decentish writer but I've never done a choose-your-own-story style one in my (adult) life. Though I've done bad ones when I was younger.

I just joined!

4 years ago

https://heterogenoustasks.wordpress.com/2015/01/26/standard-patterns-in-choice-based-games/ try reading this article for branching styles in the choose your own adventure type stories. Also, there’s a gold mine of wisdom on story writing in the help and info section: http://chooseyourstory.com/help/ which will be really useful.

I just joined!

4 years ago
What Shouja posted is a good article showing different kinds, or you could guve an example of a story on the site that matches.

I just joined!

4 years ago

Oh neat! I appreciate it. It'll help me plan out the structure of the story. c:

I just joined!

4 years ago

If you don’t have a lot of experience in writing CYOA’s, I would suggest you to start small. Don’t go for 70k words right away. For your first project, try doing a story structure which has relatively few branching, like the gauntlet style, rather than something like a time cave. Branching tends to get out of hand relatively quickly in CYOA’s and main reason for people leaving their works unfinished, is because they get overwhelmed.

I just joined!

4 years ago

I'm doing that since it's simple as possible and maybe if it's good enough for sequels, I'll experiment with it. 

I just joined!

4 years ago
Be sure your story is complete as a standalone first. A lot of peeps SAY they will make sequels or leave off at a cliffhanger and say that they'll "write Part II if it's rated high enough!!!"

I just joined!

4 years ago

In my experience of writing, I would agree since a few stories I've written and completed have not gotten sequels.

I just joined!

4 years ago
Do you have an estimated length for your story, since it's going to be on the more linear side, it seems?

I just joined!

4 years ago

Not yet but if I were to guess, it's not going to be terribly long.

I just joined!

4 years ago

Hi and welcome. Nice profile picture. I like lizards. Lizards are cool. ^_^

I just joined!

4 years ago

Thanks! It's an Argentine tegu.