Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Joker Movie

4 years ago

So what did everybody think of the Joker movie? I'm not much of a Joaquin Phoenix fan (although he was good as Johnny Cash in Walk the Line), but I thought he did a pretty good job as Arthur Fleck/the Joker. I thought the visual references to Scorsese's Taxi Driver and the King of Comedy were not too on the nose. Overall, I thought it was an interesting character portrait.   Image result for Joker images

Joker Movie

4 years ago

Wasn't nearly as incel friendly as everyone made out and it was more anti-rich than anything else.

It was okay.

Joker Movie

4 years ago

Well, it was inevitable we were going to have some idea how it ends. Mostly, it relies on the strength of Phoenix's performance. He and his late brother, River, most have had hippies for parents. What kind of surname is Phoenix?

Joker Movie

4 years ago

Well the Phoenix family were in a cult called Children of God once. One of the weirder ones that started in the late 60s-early 70s I believe. The cult goes by a different name nowadays due to a shitload of stuff they were guilty of being involved in, the worst of which was pedo shit.

They tried to "rebrand" and distance themselves from their founders teachings, but anyone that does some reasearch on them will know they're still a bunch fucking degenerates.

Probably lucky that Joaquin managed to turn out as well as he did.

Joker Movie

4 years ago

Children of God. Where they that Christian cult that used to entice hippies to join them in the late 60's with the promise of lots of hot sex?

Joker Movie

4 years ago
Children of God ———> COG

Joker Movie

4 years ago

'Flirty fishing,' yep. Though that practice started in the 70s. And it's the cult that hyper-sexualizes Jesus. It's creepy that they're still even around.

Joker Movie

4 years ago

Wow, so they took that line from the New Testament literally. "This is my body. Eat it!" 

Joker Movie

4 years ago

Even creepier, their new brand "Family International" builds schools and stuff for children in 3rd world countries. No doubt taking advantage of said kids for their pedo teachings.

Joker Movie

4 years ago

I remember reading an interview with River and he basically said "I just try not to think about that stuff"

The parents were never very.....Responsible sounding, to say the least, with their kids actually pulling in most of the income from a young age via musical or acting talent. They would also invite a bunch of random unfortunates to live at their place despite not exactly having the money to support them all. That and that fucking cult no doubt screwed up the minds of their kids something awful. The Children of God were basically an orgy.

Joaquim has been described as "a real nice guy, just too mentally fucked up to function most of the time". 

Also River Pheonix hands down my favorite actor,  just really hits me some kinda way the messed up stuff he had to  experience.