Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

The Disappointment Periodical II

4 years ago
Commended by mizal on 3/9/2020 9:07:49 AM
Featuring: A Bunch of Random Garbage

In recent news:

1) Endeavour may be back. I didn't bother asking the wizard people if it's really him though. @TheFreeEndeavour

2) CYS gave a surprising amount of candid advice to some kid that is considering dropping out of school to flip burgers. Even more surprisingly, Mizal didn't even bother to tell him that asking random idiots on a hobby writing site advice for non-writing matters is a terrible idea.

3) Mars looks cool. It's also less red than you think. Do you want to go to Mars to be a space-monkey? Contact Elon Musk today!

4) Will wrote another CYS Paper. He's retiring in early April though.

5) Sabley's co-worker thinks images of Lysol on the internet are proof that Bernie Sanders is working with China to kill people and rename the United States as American China.

6) Eiwynn is still here. We might get partial custody.

7) Mizal started one of those, vote on the next choice things, in the Creative Corner.

8) Shadowdrake is proofreading stuff for LJacko.

9) You still have a month to write a story for the Infinite Story Contest.

10) As far as I am aware, End's boss still hasn't cleaned the pee van.

New Stories:

Rattler apparently wrote a homosexual version of LoveSick and was accused of plagiarism.

Another kid used CYS for a school project. However, CYS was spared from a horde invasion. Here is an excerpt:

You decide that now is not the time to investigate computer files. You need to finish with these prisoners first. You finish all the preparations, and the prisoners wake up just as you are ready to take them to their cell. They don't cause much resistance. You lock the first few in their cell. It is a small cell. The Battalion doesn't think highly of those who attempt sneak attacks. You only have two more prisoners to take to their cells. Why do you feel like something is off? "Everything okay back there?" You ask turning to face the support soldier. Except she isn't there. One of the prisoners is missing, too. "What happened!?!" You yell at the remaining prisoner. He shrugs. You quickly take him to his cell and lock him up. You then begin looking for the other inmate. It doesn't take long. "Quickly, come in!" She says. You begin to ask if she is okay, but she hushes you. "It's all good. The inmate is right here. I helped him. We need to stage a jailbreak." "Why?" You ask. You probably don't know, but the Battalion has been terrible to their prisoners. I don't mean Onguard members, but races from other planets. They are horribly beaten and starved. We need to stop it! Please help me." Your mind is racing. There is no way that is true, right? You decide to find out. You, the support soldier, and the prisoner and disguise all go to the lower levels of the prison, in which you have never been. Sure enough, hundreds of beaten, starving people from other planets are lying on the ground in cells, shivering through their ragged clothing. You are shocked that this has been going on, and a fuel to stop ignites in your body. "Alright, let's do this." You use your keys to free some of the Onguard prisoners who are skilled with weapons while your comrade arms them. You then sweep down to the lower levels, freeing the starving people and helping them to escape. You don't want to leave until you know everyone is safe, so you decide to run away with the former prisoners. "Are you coming?" You ask your fellow soldier. "I need to stay. There are more prisons out there. Stun blast me." "What?" "They'll execute me if they find out I helped. If you blast me it'll seem like I tried to defend but couldn't." You follow her directions. Then you catch up to the rest of the prisoners. You find a save home for them and pray that this stays true.

What a beautiful wall of text. Clearly, his English teachers have failed him in explaining how to format dialogue and paragraphs.

On the Discord Front:

Mizal bulldozed her way through an unnecessarily animated discussion on food. However, in the end, everyone was able to agree that Bucky, Ogre, and Sabley were not going to take Mizal's frozen blueberries. Also, Bucky, Ogre, and Sabley do not think Mizal is a bad person for liking frozen blueberries. However, allegedly, a Dane may think Mizal is the antichrist for ... well, that part wasn't exactly clear, but it probably had something to do with frozen blueberries.

Mara asked for help in restructuring one of her story endings where you allegedly decide to either sleep in warrior cat form or morph into something less furry. If you chose wrong, you get bitten by a poisonous snake in your sleep. CYS citizens did something productive and provided constructive feedback. Top suggestions included better foreshadowing of the snake and writing the previous scene so that the reader could make an informed decision when making a choice.

Everyone give a big hand to Mara for: 1) Actually writing things, 2) Showing dramatic improvement in English, and 3) learning what "give a big hand to" means.

Let's give a big hand to Mara.

World News:

Men are talking to Spanish women about seed.

Crazy people have looted the stores of hand sanitizer. Some hand sanitizer vendors have allegedly raised the price up to $80. Those vendors are getting yelled at by the big bad government and threatened with things.

Joe Biden has decided he's not actually running for the Senate - but rather for the office of President.

Bernie Sanders probably burst a blood vessel after Elizabeth "Pocahontas" Warren dropped out of the race after Super Tuesday.

Tulsi Gabbard continues to run for President, probably figuring that Biden and Sanders are old and could die before the actual election. Tulsi also amusingly called Warren a fake indian. Her precise words: "fake indigenous woman of color."

President Trump wore a hat.

A gang of hooligans mugged a 15-year-old girl in NY and stole a bank card, her phone, and her shoes.

Fake News Interview with 'The Corpse of a Warrior Cat Account Holder':

What do you do these days?

Well, I write Warriorcat fan-fiction on about three other sites and cry when people criticize me.

I see your taste in literature and your personality have not improved any. But has your writing?

My writing was always perfect. It's very rude to say that it wasn't. Why are you attacking me?

I'm terribly sorry. Let's change topics. Who do you support for President?

It's a tough call between Fidel Castro and Joseph Stalin. They were both very misunderstood.

You're in college now, aren't you?

Yes, I took out $150,000 in student loans because the communist revolution will make them go away soon. Also, it's not real money because it's not in paper. If the money isn't that green paper, then it's not real, so it's not like I'm actually in debt. You know how Trump always talks about Fake News? Student loans are like fake money. Also, news is never fake - unless I disagree with it.

Interesting. How are your classes going?

Well, they'll probably all get shut down because of the C-Virus. That stands for China right? The China-Virus? Anyway, they were going great, I had straight A's until my English professor attacked me. I borrowed a few lines from another source, and the professor had the audacity of accusing me of plagiarism. I felt attacked. And I told him so. They I went to the crying closet, and after I had a good cry, I complained to the dean. I also felt like the professor was too aggressive with his knowledge of English. Just because he has a Ph.D and published research articles and interactive fiction stories doesn't make him better than me!

Did you try to bribe him with your body?

No. Do you think I should have? And that's offensive. I think. I'm not sure. I'm a panda.

I think that's all I need. Good luck with that bamboo deforestation.

I blame Trump, dogs, Boomers, and Texas.

In the alleged next edition ...

We will do an allegedly REAL NEWS interview with EndMaster; (or a fake news interview with [spoiler redacted]).

4 years ago
My mental translation of Big hand of you proposing have gay sex it was far more epic than the real one. Great newsletter

4 years ago

I promise to attempt a little more maturity than before. I can't help but roll my eyes at my previous account.

4 years ago
Oh so it is you.

4 years ago
Your exp page just gave me a chuckle.

I think I'd have abandoned that account too.

4 years ago

I'm still not sure why I never got around to banning him. Fool's luck I guess.

We'll see if this fool's luck continues to hold out with his new account.

EDIT: Banned his old account, but he unlocked an achievement!

http://chooseyourstory.com/member/?Username=Endeavour

4 years ago
"Eiwynn is still here. We might get partial custody. "

The fear of the unknown is something aweful, isn't it?

4 years ago
Correction, I have nothing against frozen fruit. I was agreeing with Mizal in the discord lol. I love frozen blueberries. I fully support food preservation techniques including freezing.

4 years ago
Yes I was politely not going to say anything, so thanks for pointing that out. And this is without even getting into bimonthly Canning Debates.

Do farmers even exist who are like NO THANK YOU I PREFER ALL MY WORK TO ROT?

4 years ago
Only those from New York City.

4 years ago
Commended by mizal on 3/9/2020 10:47:53 AM
I thought most people in the discord realized I was a big fan of food preservation by now so I wanted to set the record straight lol. Freezing and home canning are both great techniques, especially when the alternative is food waste. My dream is to one day have a walk in freezer, it'll probably never happen but if I ever win the lottery! Anyway, a little food preservation education to further cement my stance on the topic! Home Canning: Nutrition and Canning article TLDR version of above article; While it does lower nutritional value, it is arguably not any worse than refrigeration (In fact, in the case of freshly picked farmer's market produce or home grown produce home canning preserves nutrients better). Within 1-2 weeks of refrigeration fresh produce loses half or more of some of its vitamins. Home canning fresh picked from the garden produce loses about 1/3 of vitamins A and C, as well as riboflavin(Other vitamins will hold close to the same level as fresh picked produce when frozen) during the canning process. Then loses about 5-20% of those vitamins for each year the canned product sits on the shelf. If you can enough for one year with your excess garden produce, you're actually eating more nutricious food than you would get at the produce section of the store(with the exception being fresh picked from the farmer's market which I strongly advocate for over store bought produce if you are lucky enough to live an area where farmer's can produce wide enough variety.) So if you are only trying to preserve your annual food supply and not letting it sit on a shelf for years before eating it then it is a very healthy food choice and preservation technique. According to this article, you can see how long it takes on average for various types of produce to hit store shelves. Without reading the article, you can skim and see that most of your store bought produce will have already lost an average of 50% or more of it's nutrients by the time you even get a chance to buy it. Not so "fresh" when you get down to it, huh? On Frozen Foods: Fresh vs. Frozen article TLDR version of above article; Studies find that the nutritional value of fresh vs. frozen produce is similar. Frozen produce will hold nutrional value for a year before it begins to decline slightly (Though in general it is poor practice to keep anything frozen for more than a year IMO). Some vegetables do require blanching before being frozen which can cause slight decline in nutrition, but again that same decline would have happened during transport times for the produce to get from the fields to the store. Frozen produce that was bought at the store, may actually have more nutritional value than the fresh versions in the same store due to their being frozen before transport to hold nutrition. While if you have access to a good farmer's market or your own home grown produce then that will have more nutritional value. But, both of those options involve produce being seasonal, which means that freezing the excess to use throughout the year is of course going to be in your favor. That concludes my food preservation tism for the day. Class dismissed.

4 years ago
No one was against canning or frozen fruit. That's exactly why the entire conversation was stupid. Except maybe the Dane. (Yes, he's a Dane in this canon now.)

4 years ago
Too late, I already had a tism. :P Edit: I realize you posted this 40 minutes prior to said tism, but I spent like... 2 hours writing my tism. So... yeah.

4 years ago
I know you weren't around till afterwards, but this is what started the whole discussion:

He then tagged you in to explain to me what "Farm Fresh" was, and when you arrived your answer was, "a meaningless buzz word". lol

My point in the whole thing was just wanting an explanation for why what all farmers do--growing food and then freezing and preserving it while fresh--somehow became the inferior eating choice if they then made it available somewhere and someone bought it. And also there's of course the fact that freezing and canning improves or is actually necessary for certain foods, although we didn't really get much further than what was posted there. This time.

Of course anyone who pays attention on the server knows that this has been a recurring argument that's usually you, Cricket, me, and Mara with experience and actual science facts on our side against some random hipster fucktard, but this time it was me having to stand alone against the Boomer Brigade and their mansplaining.

Glad you made this post that we can now point tragically incorrect people to in the future, and nice to get some actual discussion of this on the forum where others might weigh in. I tried to get this exact conversation going last time it came up back in January with a forum poll to get the Euro viewpoint, but Enter pussed out completely and so only Mara replied.

4 years ago
Oh I missed that he called you a poor sweet city child... For shame, Bucky! Farm Fresh has zero regulations behind the term. Unless you are physically driving out to a farm to make a purchase, it's just a buzz word. Similarly, labels in the US that claim meat is anti-biotic free is actually very misleading. All meat is tested to insure that no antibiotics are present as part of the processing procedure, same with milk. So all meat sold in stores in the US is antibiotic free. I'm not familiar with Canada's regulations on the matter, so that may be different for Bucky. But, it's a good example still. Labeling in the meat industry, especially in the US, is a hot topic in the agriculture community right now. With the COOL act having been repealed for beef products. Article on that here. Which permits foreign beef to be imported into the US and packaged in the US to be labeled as product of the USA. It's put a huge strain on US beef producers who have trouble competing with the cheaper imported beef, especially when it is labeled the same way their beef is labeled. The only difference is if you flip over the package and read the fine print it will read something along the lines of 'product of US and Brazil'. Which is code for beef produced in Brazil, but packaged in the US. Similar labels would be product of US and Australia. There's nothing wrong with imported beef of course, the issue here is the misleading label. A shopper may be actively trying to support domestic beef and mistakenly purchase the imported beef due to the label stating that it is a product of the US when, in reality, it was merely packaged there. We were hoping that COOL would be reinstated for beef, but unfortunately that didn't happen because politics. Ok I'm going to get off the meat labeling soapbox now. Anyway, I've never noticed any flavor difference for frozen produce. And I don't know a farmer who doesn't freeze produce as needed. Waste prevention is the name of the game with them. Every member of my dad's side of the family (Literally all 4th or 5th generation farmers(beef, pork, mutton, chicken, soy beans, corn, and probably a few other crops I'm forgetting) have freezers dedicated to produce as well as meat. They get a special glow when they get the chance to offer some of it to anybody because they tend to freeze it within a day of picking it so it has great nutritional value and flavor. They'll even tell you how best to thaw it and how soon to eat it after if they're feeling especially proud of what they're giving you. It was always a real treat growing up when we visited the farm and got twenty pounds of frozen sweet corn or a bunch of frozen beans. I can't speak for every farming family of course, just the one I'm related to and a few non related farmer friends, but most of them tend to freeze any part of their harvest they mean to keep for themselves. And they freeze it immediately to preserve the nutrients. The only time they cook it "fresh" is if it's in season and they pick just what they need for what they're cooking that day. But when it's time to harvest and that particular produce is going out of season then it's freezer city. P.S. I'm super tempted to go into a tangent about 100% anti-biotic free meat, but I am going to resist that tism since I already had a tism about food preservation and beef labeling in the same thread. Edit to add: I think the issue they're having with flavor for frozen vs. "fresh" is actually more of a produce variety thing. There are so many different varieties of every produce in existence and they all have flavor variations. Most major suppliers will have multiple farms they get the produce from and even if all of those farms are required to use the same seed varieties, factors such as soil quality and fertilizer type/frequency, even the weather, will impact the flavor of the produce. So depending on the brand, you may be purchasing a frozen produce that has inferior flavor/texture, not because it is frozen, but because it is a different variety than the 'fresh' you bought in the non frozen section. It should, however, have the same nutritional value or other varieties, unless you are buying some rare variety from a specialty seed producer that has specifically bred to have superior nutritional values. For example, I'm growing a variety of tomato called Cour Di Bue, or Oxheart. It grows well in my zone and produces fruits that weight around 12oz. when ripe. It can be used for canning, slicing, or juicing. I chose this variety because I want to can it for when they are not in season, but also eat it fresh picked form the garden while they're in season. It has a very different texture than say Beefsteak tomatoes and the flavor will differ slightly. It's the same for every other fruit or vegetable. Variety plays a big part in texture or flavor, while freezing it really doesn't.

4 years ago
Had to look that up, that is a big ass tomato.

4 years ago
Yeah and the seeds germinate really well. I wasn't expecting every single seed to take so now I have 40+ tomato plants cultivating in the basement lol. I'm probably going to plant the 20 best ones and see if I can sell the rest since they're not a variety you can buy ready to plant in stores and most people around here at least have a tomato plant on the porch or something. My plan is to seed save and after raising five generations of these bad boys I'll have my own specially adapted Cour Di Bues for my area. If there is a market for them at all, I may just plant extras every year and sell them in April. I'll update the discord with pics of all my plant babies when I get home from work today. My honeydew's have finally made an appearance!

4 years ago
I was not talking about the commercial branding “farm fresh” - all those branding are garbage.

4 years ago
That’s not why I tagged Sabley. And I wasn’t talking about the garbage “farm fresh” tag they put on stuff in the grocery store. I was talking about - for example - grilling corn the same day it comes off the stalk vs. the trash corn in the grocery store or grocery freezer or grocery can of corn.

This was a minor tangent from the very narrow point - that if you have the choice between eating something the day it’s picked, or at some point, possibly months in the future, after being frozen, the day it’s picked route is the way to go. At no point did I say preserving things was bad - other than it won’t taste as good as day it’s picked food.

4 years ago
Commended by mizal on 3/10/2020 1:18:05 PM
You tagged me and specifically asked me to explain what "Farm Fresh" means so I explained and will do so again. Your interpretation is not what Farm Fresh means(At least in the US), it only has meaning as a commercial buzz word. But I can appreciate how you're trying to use it now that you've explained. That may be one of it's meanings in Canada, I don't know. Just in the US it is only a buzz word and has no regulated meaning whatsoever so it's a little hard for me to think of it in any other terms honestly. As I mentioned before, even regulated terms used in food labels in the US can be extremely misleading. So it is important to know what terms might mean and which ones are just buzz words. Adding a new meaning to a term that is mostly used to mislead people into purchasing a product only adds to the confusion. Again, I have a feeling that isn't the case in Canada, but I'm in the US so that's where I'm coming from on labeling terms. I wouldn't go so far as to call corn in the grocery store trash either. If it's a cheap brand using a variety of corn that isn't bred for the best flavor, sure it might suffer in taste but nutritionally it's going to be very similar to a variety bred for flavor over hardiness. It isn't where you buy the produce that factors into flavor/nutritional value, it's the seed variety that the produce came from. Your local farmer may very well be using an inferior seed variety to the big corn brand company at the store, or they might use a superior seed variety. Different varieties also have different purposes. Some corn is bred for sweetness, some for production. If you're willing to spend the extra money, you can get a seed variety that does both. For example, I'm growing Buhl Sweet corn variety which has both sweet flavor, juicy kernals, and produces two ears per stalk as opposed to only one. So in my case, yes my corn is going to be better in flavor and production value as opposed to what I could get at the store unless I had access to a store with a very good organic corn brand(Which most stores do have if you're willing to pay for it). Or on the other hand, I have a neighbor who is in his 90's and recently made the local news because it was discovered that he is the last remaining cultivator of a once thought extinct corn variety. He is now the only known person in the world that grows that specific variety of corn and once that was made known he had all kinds of major seed companies hounding him for some so they could bring that variety back to life. Does the rarity and exclusivity of this corn make it better? No, it tastes like trash and is rather dry. It is used to feed his livestock or to sell to hunters to put out corn for deer. For those purposes, it is a fantastic corn seed variety and absolutely worth preserving and making available for other farmers to grow. But you would never want to buy it from him for human consumtion unless you just hate enjoying tasty food lol. It's flavor and texture is likely why it nearly died out in the first place. So again for those just skim reading. Seed variety causes the variation in flavor/texture of produce more so than the effects of any preservation technique (excluding techniques that introduce seasonings which obviously change the flavor). Anyway, before I get into the science of seed varieties, selective breeding of plants, hybrids, and GMO's, I'm going to cut myself off and just say that there is no guarantee that a local small time farmer is using a better or worse seed variety than the farmers who sell their harvests to big name brands you can buy in stores. Frozen and canned corn does not lose flavor in the preservation process alone. Again, seed variety is what impacts flavor, not preservation processes. User error is the only other factor I can think of. If you're freezing something and it loses flavor, then you've done something wrong either in how you preserved it or how you cooked it after thawing it out. If you don't store it properly and it gets a ton of freezer burn, then that's user error effecting the flavor/texture for example. If you store it properly, but don't thaw it properly then again that is going to effect the flavor/texture. If you store it properly and thaw it properly, but then have an oopsie with a recipe or the cooking process then of course that's going to cause an issue, but I'm sure you already know that of course. All the same points can be counted toward canning as well. I'm not trying to patronize you by mentiong placebo effect either, but be aware that some people do have that when going into this sort of conversation. They convince themselves preserved food is going to be inferior and mind over matter themselves right into not enjoying perfectly good produce just because they know it was frozen or canned at some point. To be clear, I do not believe that is the case with you, but it is a factor to consider for some people when it comes to this sort fo thing. TLDR; There is nothing wrong with you preferring fresh picked over frozen. I know I'm coming across as arguing with you, but this is something I care a lot about and I like to try and educate people about it when I can because there is so much misinformation out there about food. So please don't take offense, I'm just pointing out that the issue you have with frozen/canned produce is likely not due to the preservation process and it not being "fresh picked" but more of a variety or user error issue. Yes this did stem from you just mentioning the flavor/texture variance, but that comment does go hand in hand with some major food myths that exist that need to be corrected. I never thought you said food preservation was bad, but you did say that it effects flavor/texture. The other fact of the matter is that most people do not have the luxury of the choice you've stated. Does that make you wrong? No, it doesn't. You are correct that if given the choice between same day fresh produce and months after preservation produce that the former is better/preferred over the latter. But again, most people do not have that choice. And the difference, while there, is very, very minor. If you have the luxury of that choice in the first place, then you already have access to better nutrition than many other people do. There is nothing wrong with that, but making statements that such a luxury makes food vastly superior in nutrition, flavor, and texture is just incorrect on every possible level except for an extremely minor flavor/texture difference that most people won't notice unless they have the tongue of Gordon Ramsay. Edit to add: At least we can probably both agree that I'm autistic as fuck about produce lmao.

4 years ago
You "think" I was asking you to explain what farm fresh means. I promise you, my sole intent on tagging you was for your opinion on whether you would rather eat something the day it was picked or after it was frozen and de-thawed. I believe you agreed with that sentiment - in the general sense. Obviously this wouldn't apply to every food item either.

Apparently I did say, "define: farm fresh" - that is my fault for poor word choice. I did not mean that literally or in the marketing meaning of the term.

The quotation marks are not meant to be snarky, just emphasis. My entire position was either misinterpreted or misconstrued in the Discord - and apparently here as well. However, I can see how I contributed to this confusion with poor wording.

I was not talking about nutrition or preservatives or anything along those lines. I had two, very narrow points. Boiled down to the very base: 1) An ear of grilled corn, pepper, etc. will taste better the day it is picked than at some point in the future after being picked, shipped, frozen, shipped some more, and eventually de-thawed and eaten - and that is not an attack on freezing food to preserve it, and; 2) Boiling apple cider to kill bacteria seems unnecessary (even if you wash an apple before you eat it, you're not washing the inside or the juice). Those were the very narrow things I was saying. Why Mizal took that as an attack on food preservation techniques in general or milk pasteurization is absolutely beyond me, and I am genuinely confused.

I wasn't even trying to advocate that people should buy food at a farmer's market. I did not think the concept of eating something closest to the date it was picked will give it the best taste was a controversial topic.

I don't have any problem with canning. Heck, I can tomato sauce.

At no point, did I intend for the words "farm fresh" to be taken in the context of package labeling. My choice of words was perhaps poor. The marketing angle of the term was not in my mind at the slightest when I used it.

"There is nothing wrong with you preferring fresh picked over frozen."

I agree. I agree with the inverse as well. Which is why the entire conversation was stupid ^_^

Though, I can say I have never had a good ear of corn from a grocery store.

4 years ago
Of all the examples possible, you picked corn?

4 years ago
Yeah. It's the only vegetable that I actually refuse to buy from the store. At least, on the cob. I don't like the canned corn much either, but it's convenient for chili - I use it primarily to add color.

4 years ago
I thought it was weird because corn is one of things that's easy to find *actually* fresh and local in a store when it's in season, and holds up so well in taste and texture to any kind of preservation.

But then again I don't know what kind of shit tier groceries you have access to, so all this stuff can vary area by area obviously.

4 years ago

Not sure where Bucky is from, but I can attest that in the Midwest there are times where buying corn on the cob is a bad idea. Corn holds up well when preserved, and I have no issue with canned corn (unless it is creamed corn, what is creamed corn even on the shelf for?). However, during some of our long winters fresh veggies don't exist here. You can buy corn year round, and you can eat what you buy in the summer. Anything I have bought during the winter in a plastic wrap has not been as good as the stuff that's still in the husk in the summer.

*disclaimer- this is not meant to start a war between some opposing party that loves corn on the cob imported during a Midwest winter. I also did not read everything, just Bucky and Mizal's last post.*

4 years ago
You're fine lol. There wasn't a war to begin with, my posts are all just fun fact type things about food preservation, seed varieties, and the impact, or lack thereof, of those things on flavor/texture and nutritional value as opposed to people just assuming that the thing they don't like about something's flavor is only due to it being frozen/bought in a store/canned. That just got misunderstood, likely due to a lot of skim reading by certain someones, as arguing I guess. Creamed corn is actually really good by itself as a side, by the way. Or if you just don't like it nevermind lol. I also use it in sweet corn casseroles and even some chowders. So for those who like it is very handy to have it canned ready to go on the shelf.

4 years ago

I haven't read it all, but I love to cook! I'll probably go back and read it for tips on buying good produce. I currently do the "guess and check" method by brand. I assume that is not as good as knowing real information...

Also, I hate the taste of creamed corn by itself. Since posting that, I was reminded that it is used in things I like (like corn bread, I think); however, I have never used cream corn for anything I have made. So that opinion is factually wrong but accurate to me. 

4 years ago
Guess and check method isn't bad at all. Knowing how to select produce that way is a valuable skill. While most brands do have quality control and try to keep their produce uniform, we've all been in a hurry and made it home with some lettuce that turned out to have a bad spot in it at least once. That can happen regardless of brand and only preventable by physically looking at it and trying to make sure it's good to go really. Now if you are interested in buying organic produce then you will want to do some research by brand. That label varies greatly and some brands may just meet minimum standards for it while others go way above and beyond. But, for non organic produce your current method is just fine :)

4 years ago

Thanks Sabley!

4 years ago
I'd just buy a bag of frozen corn over the "fresh" ears in the winter, it's cheaper and generally tastes better and I don't place any special value on the presence of the cob.

In season though you can buy it still in the husk in any store and it's as fresh as if you'd gone out and picked it yourself. Going to one of those pick your own farms was by far the least hellish of the family summer traditions and something I don't mind doing still if I get invited, but by July it's also in gigantic bins in HEB and Walmart at just ten cents an ear.

Canned cream corn exists to be dumped into cornbread and....that's it really.

Actually I have to give that one to the "farm fresh" fanatics, I only ever eat creamed corn I make myself and it has all that [REDACTED SO THAT MARA DOESN'T MAKE IT IMPURE] that comes out when you scrape the cob with the back of a knife. Which tbf I've never attempted with frozen ears, it's usually just a way to get rid of an excess of the fresh ones. Canned creamed corn tastes nothing like the way we always made it though. (It is entirely possible what we make isn't really creamed corn anyway, it's thicker and stickier for one thing.)

4 years ago

Hmm, I wonder what was redacted since you left some good ammo near the end...

it's thicker and stickier for one thing.

I will not touch that though. Picking corn was also a summer favorite of mine with my family. Never made my own creamed corn, never will. The canned and frozen bags are both good options if you just want some corn. Just check the cans to make sure you are getting what you intended to buy, unlike me a week ago.

on a related note, anytime I am still salty about something it appears on the forum in an intense discussion. Who is the spy?

4 years ago
I haven't done homemade cream corn in years and I miss it so much. That's one of the things I'm most looking forward to with my corn is having good home made cream corn canned and just ready to go in my pantry. The canned kind in the store just isn't the same.

4 years ago
Yeah, you tagged me and immediately said "Define: Farm Fresh". So I did. I'm not sure how you couldn't mean that literally, but ok. But, again I was having a busy work day and didn't get to just sit and read the dscord for that convo, I was popping in and out of it. So I must have completely missed where you tagged me again about the other question. I just remember popping back in and Mizal was the only one ok with frozen produce so I backed her up then had to go back to work. I never once mentioned preservatives and I already explained my stance on the matter of your point of eating it fresh same day as picked versus later, twice. So I'm not going into that again, especially since my last two responses clearly just got skimmed at best. Otherwise you'd already know I was agreeing with you to a degree, but also offering up some facts and such about other things that can contribute to the very issue you were complaining about besides something having been frozen, which doesn't really contribute to the issue you complained about. Also there is so much wrong with your comments on bacteria and apples, but I'm not even going to go there because you don't want to learn and aren't open to facts at all. But you clearly have no idea how fruit juices are made if you think boiling isn't necessary and is done only because "bacteria" lol. But, yeah good to know the convo was stupid. God forbid someone offer additional information on the subject because they're genuinely interested and think you are too. Especially if it means that your opinion might need to take other factors into consideration. You misconstrued just about everything I said, so while I don't think the conversation was stupid in and of itself, it was a total waste on you.^_^

4 years ago
^_^

4 years ago
I don't know how many people are reading these because reading is hard, but just wanting you to know that I am and I appreciate the contributions from what is probably the only active member who can speak knowledgeably about this stuff.

4 years ago
I found it fascinating because I come from ancestors upon the ancestors of Small farmers in Galicia. And they didn't want to eat fruit or vegetables just picked up. They normally waited for the perfect mature moment to eat the stuff. To the point, my grandmother and her sister just frozen the peas one month before eating them because the variety was tasty but hard to cook. and frozen make faster the boiling.

The only people obsessed with FRESH DIRECT FROM THE MUD is hippies and hipsters that haven't seen a farm in their lives.

4 years ago
You've mentioned your grandma before, she sounded like a pretty cool old lady. Is this the one the house you're moving into?

Also, Sabley can I link that article you showed me here, or is that too doxxy?

4 years ago
My grandmother was the most badass tought Old lady in history, she raised me with my dad. She died of terminal cancer in 2014 she survived more years than any doctor expected due her iron will. She survived Spanish civil war famine and several big epidemics. Working with her mother alone in the middle of a war to maintain another 3 small siblings.

She worked on the land and tend animals until last years. Without bullshit or whining about it. Except against lettuces. Her great nemesis.

4 years ago
We call people of that age the Greatest Generation around here, it really is amazing what they went through. And instead of whining about it they realized they were the only ones that could improve things and then actually did it. I don't think most people realize how many good things we all have now that goes directly back to the work they put in.

4 years ago
You can share it, I think it only mentions the town he lives near so I don't think anyone could use that to doxx me as his neighbor. But, I'll leave that to your better judgement, you know more about doxxing and internet dangers than me lol. Everyone deserves to see the adorable ancient farmer who single handedly saved a historical variety of corn from extinction in my opinion.

4 years ago

Interesting to see my name popping up in this article. Can not remember you asked me anything. Which I guess means that Shadowdrake told you. Anyways it is nice to see how well informed you are about what is happening on this site.

4 years ago
Shadow posted in your thread.

Been awhile since Bucky was referred to as "well informed about the site", but he's been improving a bunch since End told him he was boring now. It was a much needed intervention.

4 years ago

Did not even see that. Well whatever not like I mind.

4 years ago

I also randomly saw my name here. I didn't read everything, and I haven't been keeping up with everything on the site, but I thought it was strange that proofreading is news worthy. There must be a lot of stories going up before the author gets a chance to fix their grammar. Glad to have been mentioned though, thanks Bucky!

4 years ago
I don't really understand what's newsworthy anymore, this is why we need more people writing newsletters until we figure out who is best.

4 years ago
Well I guess the Discord section will be missing from Bucky's next newsletter.