Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Noob contest?

3 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to this site, and was considering trying out the 'Welcome to the Jungle' noob's contest. However, instruMinstrel and I (we're siblings) are only about half way through our first story. Also, I think I'm a fair bit younger than most people here, which is why I don't normally post anything, and so my style will probably be quite different from other people's. (There's a high risk of being cast into eternal SHAME, so I'm told.) What do you think?

Noob contest?

3 years ago
Based on the fact that you just typed a coherent paragraph in English, if you complete a game at all and it has some amount of branching leading to different endings, you'll do fine.

Noob contest?

3 years ago

Thanks for the advice, I'm not sure if I'll be able to resist slipping a couple of furry teddy bears in though...

Noob contest?

3 years ago

Oh, and as a complete noob, how long (say you do three-four hours every week) would it take you to write a 10K word story?

Noob contest?

3 years ago
I manage about 500 words an hour, but I write slowly and also need a certain amount of interruption free time to get in the zone.

1k in a day is manageable for just about anybody if you're willing to set the time aside. But everyone eventually develops their own system and pace that they're comfortable with.

Noob contest?

3 years ago

When you say "furry teddy bears" do you mean teddy bears that happen to be furry, or furries that happen to be dressed as bears? If the former, you're fine. If the latter, please no.

Noob contest?

3 years ago
Large hairy gay men in teddies.

Happy pride month.

Noob contest?

3 years ago

I have to assume that the teddies themselves are furry, as the bears by definition are hairy. 

It's important to be clear. 

Noob contest?

3 years ago

Well, I guess you'll just have to read my story when it's published ;)

But seriously. If furries dressed as bears isn't your kinda thing, I suggest you stay well away from it.