Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Switching chapters isn't working?

3 years ago

I've seen this issue pop up on here before, but I wasn't quite sure how it was resolved. I'm working on a storygame for my dad for father's day tomorrow, and I'm trying to make multiple chapters to help organize it. From what I've seen, the correct way of switching chapters is to set the link destination to the chapter you want to switch to, and make sure the page you want to be the first page is selected as the "first page" in the chapter's settings, but it isn't working. Every time I click on the link that's supposed to have the destination set to the next chapter, the storygame just goes to the previous page. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm just about to quit on the idea of chapters altogether at this point. Thanks!

3 years ago

Never mind, I figured it out! In case someone else runs into the same problem, I found that I had a variable that was contradicting the switching of the chapter. I had the conditions be that "if IRRITATION (my variable) is above 3, go to [certain page]." However, since I already had come up with a way to make the player go to that page without IRRITATION being above 3, I guess the variable just...didn't get to do its thing until I clicked on the next link, which happened to be switching to the next chapter. As a result, instead of going to the next chapter, my storygame kept switching to the [certain page] I had told the storygame to do if IRRITATION was above 3. Removing that condition fixed the problem, and allowed my storygame to freely move to the next chapter.

Basically, if you run into this same problem, check your variables and make sure none of them are counteracting your directions for the storygame to go to your next chapter. :) Sorry for the confusion, all caused by me!

3 years ago
Glad you sorted it out!