Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

How much is too much?

3 years ago

I'm trying to add choices whenever it's reasonable, but at this point I'm up to 20 pages with at least 20 more to go for a scene that would take ten minutes in a movie. I wanted to keep it suspensful and underline the danger, but I wonder if I should cut some of this out. I know I couldn't do a longer game in this much detail.

And will players be upset about dying a lot?

How much is too much?

3 years ago

And is 2500 words reasonable for 20 pages?

For a different story I'd write longer pages, the choices here are moment to moment though so I think they're a decent length for the amount of events happening. Not sure if there are players here who will just always consider short pages to be bad though, I can see that obviously the site has a preference for giant novels.

How much is too much?

3 years ago

It really depends. 2500 for a first story is pretty good and if it is spaced out and well written with verbose language that yeah I would say it is pretty good. The average recommended length is actually 15 pages if you're going for a short story of sorts.

How much is too much?

3 years ago
Those pages are pretty short, but you're doing it on purpose to fit the style of story you're going for so its probably fine? But really you should just write what you want and hit the publish button. If the story sucks, you'll get useful info about why in the comments and that can be used to improve the next one. My first story was less than 3000 words and taken down in less than a day...I felt bad about it at first, but that's pretty normal from what I've seen and nobody holds it against you. There are people here who are just such incredibly good writers it sets everyone elses expectations really high, but there's still room for people who are learning, and I like that there are standards here. It means that if people say something you write is good than you KNOW it's good because it's not something they'll lie about to spare your feelings like in other places.

How much is too much?

3 years ago
I mean I wouldn't encourage anyone to clog up New Storygames with things they're well aware aren't their best effort, but sometimes that really is the most direct way to find out when something's wrong.

For better or worse we have a very efficient ratings and removal system when it comes to bad games, it's just when it comes to appreciating good ones that people get all shy.

Reading a wide range of storygames (and actual books) and taking time to articulate your thoughts on what works or doesn't work and why is still the best way to improve your own writing imo. But there's also something to be said for just getting it out there if your main problem is actually second guessing yourself.

How much is too much?

3 years ago
If you think you do need more detail, you could always go back and add some in here and there where it's needed once you finish the first version of the story. Remember there's no rush on publishing these unless we've got a contest going, you can take the time to get them exactly how you want them first.

Nothing wrong with lots of deaths, although unless the situation really calls for it you don't have to get into the mindset that EVERY early ending has to be a death. Most people are pretty comfortable with using the back button as often as needed though, it only gets annoying when it feels like the wording of the choices is offering no useful information since it might as well be a dice roll in that case.