Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 6/22/2006: good idea
This feature was completed 7/6/2006: done

Restrictions - Variables - Discrete Domain

17 years ago

This is another thing I would like for variables.  It would help when making a map.  The concept would be easy to learn also.  Here is what I mean by Muliple Variables in one slot.  I mean that in the restrictions area, we have another slot for putting in a range of numbers such as: "1,4,5,8,10".  The rule would be that a comma (,) seperates the numbers and that spaces are counted as nothing even if they are included.

Now, you are thinking:  How does this make game making easier?  To tell you the truth, it helps make it so that the person dosen't have to make so many links in map making.  Pretend I have one page for my maps.  I have all the links for going places on that map on that one page.  Well, I'd have to make a new north link everytime I have to go north.  Eventually, the norths, souths, easts, wests, southeasts, ect.  takes over and makes finding a place difficult so that I can tweak it.  It also saves tremoundous time when making a small map change to an area.  This in turn, means that there is a less chance for user-made error and an easier way to tweak the system w/o doing anything to it.  As you see, my maps aren't just square maps with set out blocks; mine are much more advanced (and look way more primitive).  Please consider adding this in to save me and possibly a few others who does something like this, a humoungous amount of time.

17 years ago

maybe it's the fact that it's 11:52 PM --but i dont get it.

17 years ago

In the restrictions area there is currently Min and Max for variables.  What I'm asking is to have a "list" slot.  Next to the big bold name for List it could have a ? mark for help which I'll show at the bottom.  Anyways, in the "list" slot you can put in a range of numbers in no praticular order.  The numbers could be "18,23,42,50".  Than, as long as that variable has 18, 23, 42, or 50 in it, it'll show that link as long as the other restrictions are ready.

The entire bottom paragraph I had was actually a detailed way to use it.  You won't find much information from it.

Anyways, in the slot commas (,) would seperate the numbers so the game could read numbers bigger than 9.  Spaces would not be counted though in that slot and it would not do anything.  Also, if you make the other thing I have in Variables by Somerandomperson, it could allow full variables to.  Does that make it any clearer?

17 years ago

Ahh, got it! 

Yes, I don't see why not. I will do this.

17 years ago
Thank you.  In the mean time, I think I'll make an article in advanced.  It will show how to make a good map using variables and Discrete Domain as you call it.

17 years ago

Since you seem to like facts, here's why it's called a discrete domain.

A domain is something that refers to all of the legal values of something:

• The Domain of Whole numbers is "All Integers Greater than or Equal to Zero".
  • The domain of x in 1/x is "all values except zero"

A discrete domain is a domain who's limitations are fixed and predetermined:

• Sex has a discrete domain, since it can only be Male or Female *
  • Age is not a discrete domain since it can be any number between 0 and (some high upper limit)

(*) Yes of course I know it can get more complex than that in this day and age, but for example sake, OK!

17 years ago
Alright, could you get this feature done now?  It's the only way the map I've made will work properly.

17 years ago
I'll try to get it done in the next two weeks. It's a reasonable side changed and involves redoing the Variable subsystem.

17 years ago
Alright, that's all I needed to hear.

17 years ago

Check out the test site.   It has this feature finished.

Note:  Make sure you are logged off here before logging on there.  Make sure you log off there before logging on here.

To find this feature go make a variable restriction.  It's awesome.