Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

westerns

3 years ago
anybody know some good ones? Just went through a bunch of old Zane Greys

westerns

3 years ago
Lonesome Dove.

The main characters are two crotchety old former Texas Rangers on this epic cattle drive from Texas to Montana, but there's a big cast, and it just has a scale and level of detail and just plain good character writing you don't always see in the genre.

There seems to be a recurring theme of people loving people who can't love them back, so besides all that it has layers, like an onion.

Although I do think it has some problems structurally near the end, it's gigantic and there's a point where the author really obviously starts rushing to wrap everything up. But the journey to get there still makes it worth a read, there's some really memorable scenes in there.

westerns

3 years ago
True Grit by Charles Portis - very immersive narration and speech styles + the Coen brothers made a movie of it.

westerns

3 years ago
Excuse you, it was a John Wayne movie before that.

Never read the book though.

westerns

3 years ago
I've never seen any of the Duke's (or Marion's...) movies except The Searchers, love Jeff Bridges as Rooster in the 2010 version though :)

westerns

3 years ago
To be fair it's hard not to love Jeff Bridges in everything he's in.

westerns

3 years ago
@smalldickapathy Also can you get yourself a profile pic?

And never say poggers again?

Thx

westerns

3 years ago
I've been reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy on and off for the past few weeks. It's really good if you can stomach absolutely brutal passages describing gruesomely realistic violence.

westerns

3 years ago
Whoops forgot I made this thread

Thanks I'll download these.

westerns

3 years ago
Hey neat I'm a retarded penguin.

westerns

3 years ago

You sure are