Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello! I'm super new.

2 years ago
I hadn't heard of this site before googling something along the lines of 'play chooose your own adventure game online'. But it looks cool! I'm looking forward to playing some story games, and perhaps making some in the future. Any messages you guys have for newbies?

Hello! I'm super new.

2 years ago
Welcome to CYS. I don't have a ton of advice, but if you can use Edge or Chrome, there is a browser extension that makes this site look like something much closer to 2010: link. Otherwise, I think most things are self-explanatory. There's a lot of articles under Help & Info you can look at that tell you about small site-specific things like duels, how points work, commendations, orders, etc. Also try to follow typical forum etiquette, i.e. don't resurrect ancient threads or start a whole new one with just a sentence.

Ask anything specific in this thread if you have other questions. Enjoy the stories!

Hello! I'm super new.

2 years ago
Nightwatch...

Nightwatch, reread your second sentence and see the thing you just did.

Hello! I'm super new.

2 years ago
I said 2010 on purpose; I fear no gods.

(...someday we'll get to a place where tables don't have image spacers and blind people can navigate the site; the extension can only do so much by itself. We're edging closer to nirvana on a weekly basis, though, so I have hope.)

Hello! I'm super new.

2 years ago

I recommend you play through the featured games in your favorite genre to get a feel for the various styles of games and for what the high-tier stories are like. As long as you aren't a nuisance on the forums, you'll do fine.

Hello! I'm super new.

2 years ago

Don't be a knob-end and have fun! Follow these rules and you'll do great. ^_^

Hello! I'm super new.

2 years ago
Welcome!

Introducing yourself and reading a selection of storygames is the best way to start, so you're doing fine. Rating and giving at least brief feedback to everything you can is a good way to establish yourself (constructive and even harsh criticism is encouraged here btw, no one will ever jump down your throat for honesty) and a good way to get an idea of the quality standards readers are looking for before jumping into your own work.

You can ask any writing or coding related questions in Writers Workshop or on the Advanced Editor board.

If you're not sure of other topics or if your posting seems to annoy people, take a step back and lurk more. 95% of members who have ever run into issues here did it because they were just dribbling all over the forum, posting too much with too little to say.

Hello! I'm super new.

2 years ago
Welcome to the site. I do hope you enjoy your time here.