Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Returned from a hiatus and would like advice

2 years ago

I always did love this community and about 6 months to a year ago I actually made an account and joined it. I even attempted to write a story, but hit a writer's block and took a long break that I am not entirely proud of. I am thinking of picking it up again but would like any advice when it comes to increasing creativity and/or length.

2 years ago
Oh, hey again, I remember you!

I'm gonna move this to Writer's Workshop for now, but I'll try and come up with some suggestions in a bit.

Any recent writing samples? Might make it easier for people to give advice if they have something specific to work with.

2 years ago
My only piece of advice for sustaining creative output over a long period of time is to always write at least one sentence a day for whatever project you're working on. Usually it's much harder to get started writing than to continue writing once you've started, so the one-sentence-a-day thing usually turns into an at-least-three-paragraphs-a-day-if-not-more thing.

2 years ago

Look at images related to your genre and/or plot.

ex: medieval, sci-fi, modern, whatever.

I also suffer from immense writer's block. You should see my list of WIP.

2 years ago
Maybe don't even worry about a full story right now. Just pick a single scene or conversation and write it out without rushing through it or skimping on the details. The polishing process is generally one of deciding which are the most necessary to include and stripping superfluous stuff out, but I remember your previous stuff was pretty sparse, so you might have the opposite problem.