Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

2 years ago

This is the second biggest game announcement I've ever seen.

2 years ago

Yep, heard about that one yesterday.

I only played the 4 that came out on PC, never did play the one that came out on the Wii in episodes.

2 years ago
Tales of Monkey Island? That's on PC. I got it on Steam. (I'd say it's better than the 4th one, but not as good as the first 3.) ^_^

2 years ago

Did you know in Monkey Island 3, they snuck in a dirty joke with the verb/object choice?

This is something that I don't think most caught since you could miss it entirely.

There's the "evil" skull Murray that you come across from time to time in the game. At one point you can have him in your inventory and he usually appears as the noun "head", however when you're in the room with the ghost bride, the noun will be gone and it will say "Murray" instead.

If you try to give Murray to the ghost bride, Guybrush will turn to the camera and say "That's just sick!"

The ghost bride will be confused and ask "What?"

Guybrush will then say "Oh nothing."

So you're unable to "give head" to the ghost bride.

2 years ago
I definitely did not catch that bit. I do remember the line "That's just sick!" but had no idea why it was sick. Thank you! ^_^

2 years ago

I just better find out what happened to Morgan LeFlay, who ended up being my favorite new character from the series.  I was left hanging for far too long.

2 years ago

I always wondered what happened to Largo LeGrand who was LeChuck's second in command in the second game. He just disappeared.

2 years ago
I just want to know WTF happened to Wally! I mean, did we just forget about him and leave him in the Carnival of the Damned to die? ... On second thought, that sounds exactly like something Guybrush Threepwood would do. He's probably dead.

2 years ago
Point and click adventures were a direct descendant of the old parser based text games, I'm wondering if any hint of the IF roots will still be in this one. "A hardcore adventure game" with no tutorials, hint systems, "pansy-assed puzzles or catering to the mass-market or modernizing." was apparently on the list of his original demands, so we'll see what that translates to today.

Also it looks like it's intended to be a direct continuation of the first two games only. I think I'll have to replay them soon, it's been awhile.

2 years ago

Oh didn't realize they were throwing out some of the old game canon and doing a partial "reboot." Probably for the best since those were the best of the series.

I can't see this being any more difficult than the original 2 games. By the time of Monkey Island, click and point adventures were already getting sneered at by the "hardcore" crowd for being too easy (Yep, even back then) and Lucasfilm Games at the time were definitely among the easiest.

The second game even had a "lite" mode you could choose which stripped out a lot of the puzzle aspect, though apparently this was put in as a bit of a "joke" to mock the idea of how easy adventure games were getting. Though it doesn't really work as a good joke since most of the humor in Monkey Island involves the puzzles, so you strip those out and you strip out most of the funny too.

Honestly as much as I liked the Monkey Island series, I wouldn't have minded them doing more with a Maniac Mansion style of point/click which had a few possibilities of death and even multiple endings.

2 years ago

Yeah, Lucasfilm Games makes puzzles like a dairy farmer.

2 years ago

Still not sure why Mara isn't posting in this thread considering she's a huge Monkey Island fan.

She keeps saying the forums scare her, but given that she routinely gets verbally abused in the Discord (And just went off on some of the folks there, but nobody was hurt since she fights like a cow) the forums are pretty benign.

2 years ago
She fights like a cat gif.

2 years ago

I just found out that there are more than a few of these point and click adventure games available for my phone, including Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango and Thimbleweed Park.

None of which I have actually played. As to WHY I never got around to playing these back in the day can only be explained by other games catching my attention at the time.

Full Throttle just never seemed interesting to me (Still don't know what that one is really about) and I'm not really sure why I skipped out on Grim. Seems like a theme I would have been into.

Day of the Tentacle though at the time it came out, I didn't have a computer that would run it and by the time I did, I wasn't seeing it in stores anymore. Though after reading about it a few times, something about this sequel just didn't draw me in and I'm pretty sure it was the fact that it seemed a lot more limited than the original Maniac Mansion plus you had to play as Bernard who I virtually never used in Maniac Mansion since he was a cowardly fucking nerd.

I was like "They made a sequel where you have to play as the lamest character in the first game? Couldn't I play as Syd instead?"

Probably why when the remastered version came out, I didn't bother with it.

Thimbleweed Park did catch my attention when I heard about it. Again though, just other games took priority.

Still, now that I see these are available for my phone (And tablet), I'm probably more likely to play them now.

2 years ago

Highly recommend Grim Fandango. A lot of people think it's better than Monkey Island, which I totally get, though Monkey Island will always win for me, based on nostalgic value if nothing else. ^_^

2 years ago

Oh, that reminds me! Monkey Island 3 actually had Grim Fandango reference:

2 years ago

That was like when Monkey Island 1 had a Loom reference. In fact, they had 2 Loom references in the 1st game and even had a brief one in the 3rd game during a conversation with LeChuck.

2 years ago

I remember that!

Guybrush: If you kill me... there wouldn’t be any more Monkey Island sequels. Then everyone will forget you.

LeChuck: Forget me? I’m the ghost zombie pirate LeChuck! No one will forget me!

Guybrush: Do you remember Bobbin Threadbare?

LeChuck: Who?

Guybrush: Exactly.

2 years ago
Seconding Grim Fandango.

I first read about it in a PC Gamer magazine and became mildly obsessed with it long before ever even having a chance to play. So it holds an even more nostalgic place for me being one of my first 'haha, I am an adult with a job now and can buy any game I want' purchases a few years after it came out. Even with the hype and being pretty spoiled on some stuff by then it was still a great game.

2 years ago

Yeah I'll probably get around to Grim since that's the only one I'm really interested in from that 90s era. Thimbleweed Park will probably be my first return to the point and click games after I'm done with Atom RPG.

2 years ago

Totally forgot. While we're recommending point and click games that End might like, did you ever come across I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream?

2 years ago

Yeah I'm aware of it. It was based on the book by the same name which actually has a bleaker ending than what is available in the video game since the game had multiple endings depending on how you solved it.

Apparently it was impossible to get the best ending in the German version of the game since it cuts out the Nazi doctor character arc. French version as well I think.

2 years ago

LOL! Nazi Doctor? What Nazi Doctor? Move along folks, no holocaust to see here! ^_^

2 years ago

For more lols and still point and click adventure related, there was a game in the 90s called Kronolog The Nazi Paradox which as you might expect took place in an alternate timeline where the Nazis won WW2.

The entire game had to get rewritten for the German release so they took out all the Nazi stuff and replaced it with Soviet stuff (Hammer and Sickle instead of Swastikas everywhere for example) and it was called "Kronolog: Red Hell" instead.

Regardless of the version, the story was the same, you played as a member of the government that's searching for his missing son and things spiral from there.

The weirdest thing is the direction they took to say "Nazis are bad" in it though. The main reason explained of why Nazis winning is bad is due to... fucking up the environment. No seriously.

Basically the world is an environmental mess due to all the heavy pollution and reckless industry the Nazis engaged in. So bad in fact that it's pretty much killing the world (or at least humans aren't going to survive if they keep it up).

Ignore all the holocaust shit, the Nazis are bad because they didn't recycle plastic!

Oddly the Nazis in real life were probably a bit more environmentally minded than what the game would imply. Had they won, they probably would have encouraged natural preserves to recreate the "beauty of untouched Aryan land" for white children to play in. (Or something like that.)

The Soviets on the other hand, yeah, they probably would have horse fucked the world building cheap nuclear power plants and letting them meltdown everywhere. Lol.

2 years ago

Bloody littering Nazis! The trash compactors are all clearly marked, you know! General waste, cardboard, plastic, glass and Jews! >.<

2 years ago