Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

So a question

one year ago

I have a question I would like some advice on. Some background first though. A while ago I did my Angel series, the interesting part is it has been planned as the first in what I'm rather unimaginativly calling the power trilogy. The first was supposed to be a story with a mc that had not much power so was pushed along.

The second series tentatively is called the Moon series. It would feature a mc who is striving to use newly gained power to fight for what holds dear.

The third series is currently titled the Traveler series would be about an mc who is trying to force himself to have power to deal with some trauma when he was powerless and the effects that can have.

So my question is this. Is this a solid enough through line for a shared universe or should I just keep it more separate but with small easter eggs.

I feel like it could work especially since I tend to be more methodical of a writer but I wouldn't want it to feel like a forced connection. Thank you for your time and any questions comments concerns or advice 

So a question

one year ago

I'm a bit confused. If by "the next series" you mean one story, then I think the plan outlined here would be a natural trilogy progression and would be an interesting read. If you meant that each one of these series would be several stories, I would suggest they stay separate. 

The way I see it, it depends on how you ended the angel series. If you left the ending of the angel series open-ended, then it would be feasible to continue with the same characters. If you had a whole closure chapter where most or everyone had a happy conclusion, I would avoid using those characters. It would feel very forced for the reader, who would either want very well written and clever justification to what they are reading now. It would also take away from the nice ending you made in the first series. This also applies if you are saying that each "series" is one book or story.

This is of course just my opinion and is pretty lacking from the author perspective, but I felt like putting in my two cents.

So a question

one year ago

Thanks for your feedback but yeah each one would be several short stories long. The characters from the Angel series would show up, but the focus would be on the new characters. It would be their story after all. And the Angel series ended on a far flash forward something like 60-70 years so a whole lifetime for shenanigan. But again I'm not sure hence why I asked but I'll keep what you said in mind, so thanks.