Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

I Am Legend

16 years ago
Has anybody seen it yet. It looks really good. But Iheard it got like 1 star.

I Am Legend

16 years ago
Nobody. It looks awesome.

I Am Legend

16 years ago

I wanna see it.

I Am Legend

16 years ago
It looks like an interesting storyline from the television advertisements, but a stupid name for a movie.

I Am Legend

16 years ago
Why is that?

I Am Legend

16 years ago
Unless Legend is his actual name, it's not correct grammar. And it just sounds stupid too.

I Am Legend

16 years ago

Another gimicky, make-an-impact-by-throwing-words-together title. I watched the trailer on the official website, looks like it could be good.

I was reminded of a similar end-of-mankind movie, "The Quiet Earth", made in New Zealand years ago, about a scientist who has something to do with an experiment. When he wakes up the next day, he seems to be the only person on earth - not the only person alive - but no people exist at all in any form, no bodies, nothing, just their belongings lying about wherever they were. He later discovers two other survivors, and finds out that the machine that caused everyone to vanish is still running, and will soon 'activate' again... It was a strange, low budget movie, and it had a sudden ending that looked amazing, and left you thinking, "wow! but what does it mean?"

I Am Legend

16 years ago

It was ok. it wasnt great. as for the Legend part. He becomes a legend in the end. thats all i will say. i think it could have been better in dialogue and such, but the graphics are awesome. lots of action too.

nate

I Am Legend

16 years ago
Out of 5 stars?

I Am Legend

16 years ago

Um you folks would have to blame the guy who wrote the original book back in 1954 about the name “I Am Legend”.

They’ve made a movie about this book two times already. “Last Man on Earth” and “Omega Man”. This is just the first time they’ve actually used the book title, but from what I’ve heard it’s a lot different from the book than the other two were.

I Am Legend

16 years ago
Wow, never knew that. Thanks End. Insightful as always.

I Am Legend

16 years ago

Anybody watched Afterworld? I've only seen like 10 episodes but it's a lot like this (except he finds other peope by about the third episode).

Nonetheless, about 1 thousandth of the world has just dissappeared. Spooky.

I Am Legend

16 years ago

Richard Matheson is an unsung genius.  There are so many movies made of his books, and yet, no one knows his name.

I Am Legend

16 years ago
The name is there for a reason. Its not thrown together. If u read the book or see the movie ur know why.

I Am Legend

16 years ago
I like the name, personally. Dramatic Effect.

I Am Legend

16 years ago

When I heard the name I was at the movies and at first it wouldn't tell what it was about it would just show will smith and say

Morning-Exercise

Noon-Hunt

Night-Survive

Then show him and his dog laying in a bathtub with a gun. Then say I Am Legend.

DV is the one who ended up telling me it was about vampires.

And what I read about the book it looks stupid. (the book not the movie) In it the vampires were afraid of him and the sent  a girl to spy on him.

I Am Legend

16 years ago
That doesn't sound stupid. Also, how did you figure out its about vampires? I never heard that. AWESOME

I Am Legend

16 years ago
Probaly because the book is about vampires.
I personally think the movie looks awesome.And it got good reviews.

I Am Legend

16 years ago

the movie isnt about vampires, Bela Lagosi wasnt even in the movie!

:)

nate

I Am Legend

16 years ago

who is that and yes it is.

I Am Legend

16 years ago

Lugosi was Dracula in the old black and white movies. the best dracula to date in my opinion. as for the vampires... there are many interpretations on what a vampire is i guess. i think of blood sucking, intellegent, suave humanoids that pick their victims. these people were once human and became infected or something like that. they didnt suck blood, they devoured bodies. they didnt think very much for themselves, just mindlessly attack anything within the darkness. few similarities but not exactly.

nate

I Am Legend

16 years ago

what apparently distinguishes a vampire from a zombie is the allergy to sunlight.

I Am Legend

16 years ago

Basically in the book, the “vampires” are just what the survivors mutated into due to the plague. The protagonist stayed normal though because he was immune to it.

In the past vampires were legends to humans. Due to his hunting them, the protagonist becomes a “legend” in reverse as it were. Basically he’s the guy the vampires fear before they go to sleep, just like humans once feared vampires.

Typically I like these stereotypes...

Vampire: As intelligent as they were as a human. Grow in power as they age, so the older they are, the more intelligent/stronger/etc. they are. (Barring decadence or sloppy arrogance) Drink blood to survive and die from sunlight. Stakes work, but they have to be left in unless you cut off the head and burn the body.

Though I've liked movies that have used this concept, I've never really liked the idea of the mindless vampires that die like hordes of lemmings. Fighting just one vampire should be really hard to do for a human.

Zombie: Typically slow and stupid. Though I can accept the idea of some of them maintaining “memories” or their past life, or even “training” them to a limited degree. They eat living flesh. All of it. (But okay they can go for the brain first)

Speed for a zombie seems like a really unfair advantage, but I can see where they could start off fast when they’re just raised, but after time has passed, rot would take its toll and they’d get slower.

I Am Legend

16 years ago

And zombies dependly on where they bite u,u die faster. Like if your bitten in the neck. You'll die in about 5-10 mins. In the arm. 5,6,or 7 hours. Leg, about 8 hours. If its like in a smaller part of your body it will take longer.

Then vampires have the whole turning into a bat thing.  What I don't like about vampires is the garlic thing. And apperently this one guy was a true vampire. He was a killer. He would kill the people then drain the blood out of the people then drink it. And now they worship him because he was a guard for like their emperor or something like that. And they have like t-shirts of him and everything.

I Am Legend

16 years ago

Yeah, there was a real person named Dracula.  He's a hero who saved his people by killing the Turks in inventive ways.  (I read a funny short story once about a vampire who came to Transylvania and found out no one was afraid of him-- so he told them he was Vlad Tepes come back from the dead.)

People also sometimes call Elizabeth Bathory a vampire.  She bathed in the blood of young girls because she thought it would give her eternal life.

EndMaster- How about Vampire Hunter D?

I Am Legend

16 years ago
Drinking their blood was about the only thing that Vlad the Impaler didn't do to his enemies.

Vampire Hunter D, what about him? I only saw the one cartoon with him and that was awhile ago. I remember something about him being a half-vampire and having that mouth in his hand that talks to him.

I Am Legend

16 years ago
I've heard about Elizabeth Bathory and Vlad whatever his last name was.  They had a show on Vlad.  And they was a movie about someone similar to Elizabeth Bathory, It might hav been her.

I Am Legend

16 years ago

Elizabeth Balthory bathed in AND drank the blood of virgins to maintain her youth, but didn't seem to have any 'vampire weaknesses'. Because she was rich and powerful she did this for many years without punishment but eventually was punished (life imprisonment or death I'm not sure...)

She also made famous the method of wetting naked people with water and putting them out in the cold so they are frozen solid (similar to Saw 3).

I Am Legend

16 years ago

Elizabeth Bathory was shut up in her castle and left to die.

Vampire Hunter D is set in a post-apocalyptic world where vampires are like the aristocracy.  You might like Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

I Am Legend

16 years ago
Great movie. I just saw it yesterday. You can't really tell their vampires.

I Am Legend

16 years ago
Don't read the following if you haven't seen the movie, it may give some spoilers as to the ending and the such:

I saw it recently because of an advanced copy. So have a lot of other people I know, for some reason. It is properly released in the movies for the general public tomorrow (4th of January) if my memory serves me correctly. Will Smith is a terrific actor. It was a very good movie, and what made this film freaky is that everything that happened in it could be entirely true. Think of it - a cure for cancer. Everybody would jump onto it instantly thanks to medicine on the market and vaccinations at schools, which means everyone is infected. I've grown temporarily afraid of the dark because of it. Again, great acting on Will Smith's behalf - he made even the simple scenes like feeding his dog seem interesting, and he sounded so passionate about the movie during the, "I can save you!" part near the end. I thought the ending was great. The main character was a martyr, he died for what he believed him, and that makes you remember him that much more heroic. I think Will Smith did an amazing job in the end, and how they found the refuge with the cure but left it open ended was great. Overall, great movie and great acting from Will Smith, but don't watch it if you're easily scared.

I Am Legend

16 years ago
you are right. I saw it with my dad and we both agreed it was an amazing movie. I am not a fan of  the martyr effect. It is ok in i am legend but in movies like the matrix revolutions it was kinda weird. i mean killing the main chareceter is bad. But  i am legend made it ok. He is a true legend. 

I Am Legend

16 years ago
yeah the movie was preety creepy. I saw it with my friend and cousin. It made my cousin scream when the first vampire showed up. I also liked the dream thing that was going on in it. And I think the creepiest part was when he was in the tunnel looking for sammy. The part I thought was creepy in tunnel part was when he flashed the light on the vampire things and they had they were turned around looking at the wall. And I like the fact that the vampires wern't like afraid of garlic and turned into vampires. I think it might have been one of Will Smith's best. But I wasn't used to him being a serious actor. I always think of Will Smith as the teenager from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

I Am Legend

16 years ago

Saw it about a week or two ago, AMAZING MOVIE. I absolutely love it, can't wait to see it again...but at night. I love everything about this movie. Went to see it with my girlfriend and my cousin, my cousin flinched at a couple parts, I jumped every now and then...my girlfriend? Screaming and covering her eyes through the whole movie. It was hilarious just watching her. But I rather enjoyed the ending and thought it was extremely sad when...

***SPOILERS!!!****

When Sam died. Not just the fact that she died, but the fact that Will Smith's character had to do it himself. And she was his only partner, disregarding the manikins (:D)

But overall, I love this movie. Really, really good job.

I Am Legend

16 years ago
It doesn't follow the original book at all! The only thing the same is his name!
The movie is just him seeing the mutations, killing the mutuations and escaping them. It just keeps repeating.

I Am Legend

16 years ago
I thought the original book was much better. The "reveal" was weird, pointless. And I hated that butterfly crap at the end.

Also, I want my vampire movies either scary or thoughtful, and this was neither. The bit nearish the beginning when the dog went in the dark building was okay, but other than that, not frightening in the least.

I would probably have called it a two-star.