Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

Hey Chooseyourstory-ers, my name is RoadToEmmaus, and I'm new here.  (Well, not really, but...)  Just wanted to get a formal introduction to who's active on the site, what's going on, and... you know, all that good stuff.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

Welcome! To Emmaus! Yes, that was an epic fail! Awkward!

Hey everyone

15 years ago

Hello again lance.  Or em, or road, or something like that.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

Lol.  You can still call me Lance if you feel so inclined, Seth.  And what do mean, "epic fail", Anubis?

Hey everyone

15 years ago
No...not Lance...BOB!!!!

Hey everyone

15 years ago
No it's Lance, we go a long way back. How's it going man?

Hey everyone

15 years ago
*slaps forehead*

It was my feeble attempt at being whitty.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

feeble....That's an understatement... *cough* What?

Riley

Hey everyone

15 years ago

Oh, and wassup Lance? Still think i'm sadistic? LOL.

Riley

Hey everyone

15 years ago
oh hahahahahahaha. i kill you. lol did you see my post where i mentioned baby back bitch? :P

Hey everyone

15 years ago

HAHAHAH-Fuck you. and it's BROKE back bitch dumbass. lol.

Riley

Hey everyone

15 years ago
lmao thats right. of course you'd remember

Hey everyone

15 years ago

Never mind the aforementioned epic fail because you made another one.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

So, it's not Bob?! 

Hey everyone

15 years ago

Oh no, he's Bob!!

Hey everyone

15 years ago

Wow, I see this place still has it's off-kilter sense of humor.  Yes, DV, I can still remember you being somewhat sadistic.  But then there's something of a sadist in all of us, and something of a masochist in anyone who publishes anything on the internet these days.  Honestly!  People are brutal, aren't they?

Anyway, as for myself, I'm doing great.  I feel like a whole new person, and maybe that's why I just started a new account instead of trying to find my Lance password.

Hey everyone

15 years ago
so whatcha working on?

Hey everyone

15 years ago

Well, I've got several ideas floating around, and I haven't been able to decide which to follow through with.  All of them are a hard left turn from the fantasy stuff I used to be into, so whatever I write it should be a new experience.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

Are you not into fantasy anymore?

Hey everyone

15 years ago

Are you one of those religious guys who always was pretty hardcore, but recently you've "rediscovered" your faith and now condemn things you used to enjoy?

I'm just saying, I don't think you've made a single post that wasn't about religion and or your relationship with Jesus.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

i havent been watching his every move, but i dont think hes goign around condemning things. however, Road has always had a faith in God. and it does seem that he has grown stronger in that faith recently.

Hey everyone

15 years ago
Some people are very proud that they discovered Christ and their faith. I know I was, and it's only been since I was fourteen. Although I admit that the "re-birth" thing is really cheesy in my opinion. I understand that people try to reform themselves and (figurativley speaking) try to "wash their sins away," but if you knew my uncle, you would understand where I come from. He takes advantage a church/rehab clinic's hospitality and LIVES there. He has no addictions and it's blatantly obvious he doesn't believe in Christ.

Religion, belief systems and philosophies are always fun to discuss though.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

i think Corinth is referring to Lance's comment about all of his new ideas being "a hard left turn from the fantasy stuff [he] used to be into."

Hey everyone

15 years ago
I know that. I was stating what I think he might've meant.

Hey everyone

15 years ago
Well, I think Seth was responding to flesh's comment about "I don't think road's been going around condemning things."

Hey everyone

15 years ago
Oh okay.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

Alright, so first of all, am I still fantasy or not?  Well, I don't know.  I still love Tolkien and Greco-Roman mythology and all that good stuff.  I guess what I really meant is that thematically the stuff I seem to be churning out is a lot different from the stuff I was writing a couple years ago.  Not that it matters to you all, because I never actually published anything on here before anyway.

As for whether I'm one of those religious freaks who rediscovered their faith and now goes around condemning things he once enjoyed (or whatever you said, man from Corinth; I don't remember word for word)...  Absolutely not!  The only things I have to condemn in my past are my pride, self-righteousness, ignorance, intolerance, etc., etc.  I won't go into specifics right here, but my shortcomings were the exact flaws you guys pointed out about organized religion in the other forum thread, after I went and opened my mouth, paraphrasing Aquinas and all that.

And as far as my every post being faith-related... Well, I guess I'm guilty as charged, come to think of it, and I'm sorry if I've been a little preachy or whatever, and I hope I haven't lost anyone's respect.  At the same time, yes, Jesus Christ is the love of my life.  From the sound of all you guys' posts, you've been through the same pseudo-religious crap I bought into for years.  I know exactly the kind of people you're talking about, because that's what I used to be.  I hate all the show and pretense as much, if not more than anyone else, and I want to apologize if I've come off as one of those showy, pretensious types.

Hey everyone

15 years ago
Nothing wrong with being of faith, as long as you're not pushing it on me: You haven't and that's fine. Solo on the other hand. . . rofl, jk, don't want to start that up here.

And lance, nothing wrong with a healthy amount of pride. In my opinion, anything that makes you give up your pride, isn't right. Being proud of who you are is positive.

Hey everyone

15 years ago
hey! :P

Ive got a conundrum on pride. It would be nice to discuss (not this thread) what people think about pride. Or at least, at one point i wanna talk about my perspective of the issue.

Hey everyone

15 years ago
Start a thread?

Hey everyone

15 years ago
once the other debate is over

Hey everyone

15 years ago
Roflcopter, do you actually think that's going to happen?

Hey everyone

15 years ago
lol, i'm not in a rush, its something i looked into like last year and for some reason I didn't really care much about it, but reading the above got me back into thinking about the good/bad of pride.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

Self-respect ftw. If there's one lesson my mom told me that's really impacted my life, it's don't ever let someone tell you that you are inferior.

Heart-warming stories aside, I agree with Lance that some religious people really irritate me, mainly because they give the faith a bad rep. Whenever I say "I consider myself a religious person," people give me this supercilious look, like "Oh...you're one of them." Come on! I'm not a creationist, I'm not a Crusader! In fact they usually don't even hear me out. I'll say, "I believe that it's up to every person to make the choice and believe in what they believe in, and I believe that there is a God who has given us some tips on how to be a good person," and they'll be like 'whatever'. It's very annoying when I can't sit down and have an intelligent conversation. I have only had intelligent conversations with family, my priest, Mr. LoVullo (my 8th grade English teacher), a select-few kids that I've known for a short while, and WWII and Vietnam War veterans. Not with any kids at school, not with any teachers save Mr. LoVullo. And certainly not an intelligent religious debate (my priest gives me advice and guidance; we don't debate). I want to share knowledge and debate with people about controversial topics like abortion and gay marriage, about general knowledge things like WWII and how Hitler wasn't all that bad UNTIL he went clinically insane. But no! I'm surrounded by pot-heads who don't give a shit about their life, or with anti-social people who can't keep their nose out of a textbook because they are getting worked-up about a test that they should know the material for if they listened in class.

Ugh. Breather...

Sort of getting back on topic, people who call themselves religious who I have beef with. The number one spot goes to Creationists, and their "intelligent design" idea. Frankly, they gain support because they believe the literal meaning of the Bible (which is so narrow-minded it's sickening), and yet they spend their afternoons trying to make Creationism look like a science. It's a pseudo-science! That's why it isn't taught in science class like evolution is! Kind of like how we don't take the astrological point of view as the best way we can describe something. The fact that you can stump a Creationist and then they try and salvage the situation by making up lies or repeating exactly what they say (*cough cough COUGHCOUGHFLESHYCOUGH cough* loljk) proves my point that Creationists are just...so...PRETENTIOUS!

Oh and "intelligent design" also attracts those creepy "I've been raped by aliens" type people. Aliens probably do exist, but there are just so many factors that say "Aliens probably have never visited Earth and are probably no where near able to, whether in terms of proximity or technological development or both." My theory is this:

Aliens most likely do exist. It'd be so outrageous if Earth was the ONLY screw-up in the galaxy that produced life, even less odds for the universe...since we don't know how large the universe is. Considering what modern science gives us in that the universe is only a few billion years old, that's not a lot of time for planets that can yield life to form and then yield intelligent, sentient life. Hoping this species doesn't go extinct, whether by natural causes or by war, they will probably have a relatively primative space program that will explore only their star system for a long while. Perhaps there is no feasable way to travel out of your star system and colonize close-enough star systems. Granted there is a way, these aliens might be at the other side of the galaxy from Earth.

But what's so important about my theory is that humans are probably the or one of the forerunners, the first of the sentient beings in the galaxy. We, humans, might be that enigmatic alien that leaves cryptic and fantastic ruins and artifacts behind for primative civilizations to worship or examine. It's so cool to think about!

Wow. From high-school drop-outs to aliens. That deserves a medal.

Hey everyone

15 years ago
See, I love your posts, they're long but usually pretty entertaining. Agree on all points (try not to faint). Remember, Earth is a very normal planet in a very normal solar system.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

(*cough cough COUGHCOUGHFLESHYCOUGH cough* loljk) proves my point that Creationists are just...so...PRETENTIOUS!

when was i stumped? when did i spread lies? *cough cough no joking*

nate

Hey everyone

15 years ago
He means that you repeat what you've already said even after it's been disproved. As for when this happens? Well.. pretty much always.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

he mentioned lies in there too. but as for repeating what has been disproved in this thread, when? what has been 'disproved'? 

nate

Hey everyone

15 years ago
OK, you know what? Just nevermind, let's drop it rofl, that last reply totally makes me understand that you don't understand at all.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

then, dont go around spreading lies about me then. especially with nothing to back it up.

nate

Hey everyone

15 years ago

that goes for everyone.

nate

Hey everyone

15 years ago
Alright Fleshy, rofl, I'll keep that in mind.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

wouldnt hurt 3j,

as for you Road. good to see you back. hope to see something from you soon.

nate

Hey everyone

15 years ago

Look Fleshy. Do you see that little "loljk"? That means "laughing out loud just kidding". It was a joke.

But you shouldn't be crying over THAT. That tells me that you don't care about my post. I'd like to discuss any ideas that others have about my post and the topics therein.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

man you all take liberties lol. theres no crying my friend. just asking for proof. as for your post, it was fine. dont agree with everything, but it was fine. as for what youd like to discuss, what i referenced was 'therein'. so i dunno what you are confused about.

nate

Hey everyone

15 years ago

i know what you mean, Anubis. I feel just like that. Most of my friends are the jock type, and not exactly smart. (I guess i'm a kock too, but i'm not an idiot) I've been saying pretty much everything you just said for quite some time. I think you could easily have some religious debates here though, Anubis.

Riley

Hey everyone

15 years ago
Yeah. You're definitely a kock.

Hey everyone

15 years ago

Wow. That is the worst typo I have ever made by far. Jock. Jock. I meant Jock. Jock.

Riley

Hey everyone

15 years ago

lol I don't see the difference. lol

And yeah, I forgot to say "Except for online forums and friends on LIVE." I was too pissed maybe?

But that's the thing. This morning when I was doing a Gaming Binge playing some Nazi Zombies with random people on XBox LIVE (I was waiting for my friend to finish his game of S&D), we had a discussion about Gun Control. WHILE MOWING DOWN ZOMBIES! Nazi Zombies to be exact. Anyway, it's just really cool when I can find a server of people who are intelligent and we discussions while raping little noobs. Frankly, it's funny that me and my friends and argue about abortion while the enemy is focusing on the game so ferverently.

Hey everyone

15 years ago
LOL, AWESOME!