Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

any thoughts?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
You mean the Rick Riordan one right? If so, I can't wait for the second book!

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

It was good. The second one is gonna be called the son of neptune.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

The ending felt a little to predictable.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
I have to agree with cool on this one. But I liked it anyway.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I did enjoy the book. Especially during the French scene because I had just gotten out of french 1 so I could understand what was going on. I loved it.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Do you know when it is coming out?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Sometime in April. He is writing 2 books a year now. He has a personal blog you can check if you want.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Oooo.... really?

Where at?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Here it is

http://rickriordan.blogspot.com/

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Stupid Hera.

He had Camp Half-Blood under characters. But it's a place, not a person! Too bad Jason broke his lance/sword.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I always loved Hera in his series. I also love how he incorporated Roman gods and godesses in the Greek myths, while still stating how they are NOT the same.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Now reading how Zues and Hera really are, it's stupid looking back on the Disney "Hercules" movie:

Hera: Hercules! NOOOO!! *weep, cry, sob, be motherly*

Zues: AAAARGH!!!! *actually caring for child*

Makes no sense anymore! I just laugh my head off at that. And roll my eyes.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yeah, the Greek gods were pricks, better than the Roman gods though, those were really strict and stressed dicipline.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Not really, I actually perffer the Roman Gods to the Greek.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Pfft, screw you, Jerk.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

who? both types are good.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

To cool74. I like Greek over Roman, even if they're jerks.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Mm, I like Greek better, but Roman definately had their upsides.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

True that, true dat. haha. But what real upsides? I can't see any!

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Stronger family system and sense of nationality. As well as a sense of diligence and loyalty that Greek mythology couldn't provide. This was because Romans valued loyalty and strength highly, and devotion to their gods and their country led them to become the great empire they are known as today.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

But then came their downfall. I think it's happening in US today. History teacher said "I don't want to be Rome. I don't want to be England." I agree. But Obama won't actually do anything about anything! ALLY WITH ISRAEL! That's what I say! They're making so much crap, and coming up with new ideas. What was the last idea we came up with that took nationally? The car, I believe. That was in the 1920's I believe. MAKE NEW THINGS, AMERICA!!!!

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

You can't just wave a wand and say "America needs to make new things". And I hope you mean internationally, and even then we have several inventions used in other countries. As much as I don't want to admit it, all world superpowers have their rise, their climax, and their decline. Recently, America hit its maximum debt limit, which is another mark of our decline. Building on my you can't wave a wand statement, we need the young minds of today to test the limits of their minds, however I know that I can't just say that. We ourselves need to be as intellectually active as we possibly can in order to benefit our country, and hopefully others will follow. We can't just wait for people around the country to simultaniously start increasing our national prestige.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Ugilick likes this

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Bo, you sound just like my history teacher!

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

At least I don't sound like mine... oh god thank you.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Goddamn it Bo. Now I need to start using my mind.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

We are the Fall of the Roman Republic. We have not become an empire yet.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

if i interpreted that statement correctly, its an interesting idea.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Someone's been readin empire lol. I can lend you the book ugilick, it is very good and shows Orson Scot Card's political side.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yes someone got the reference. (Enthusiastically high 5 Bo)

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Well, still can't wait for the book!

ps: go annabeth and percy! yippee!

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Piper and Jason all the way.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yep. I think Leo should be with Thalia, but she's with those Hunters, so she can't. Unless she gives up being in the Hunters.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

The only way to leave the hunters is to die.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Oh . . . no love for Leo then. :P

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Please, Leo will love every woman.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

but will a woman ever love leo?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Only the future will tell. BUMBUMBUM

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I bet in the next book a blonde person will love him. My psychic powers have come back!

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Who he doesn't love because she doesn't want to kill him.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Or who turns out to be a spy for the giants.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I like cool's idea better. More predictable.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

predictability is bad in book writing more often then not. is it not?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Well, Leo will settle for anything, so him not liking her just because SHE DOESN'T WANT TO KILL HER just doesn't seem like him. So the other may be more predictable, but it's also, just, more realistic. Well, as realistic as demi-gods can get.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

There is no realism in the Percy Jackson series. They are just fun to read.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yeah, but it has to have some realism, or else it'd just be a random mess.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

OK other than the concept of time. Which was disregard in the battle of the labyrinth. Also the general rules of Greek myths. There is no realism.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I never really liked realism, really boring. I always like romanticism, especially dark romantics like Poe. I agree with ugilick that predictability is bad. Other than the Zues is a dick, Giants are evil stuff.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

That's what I meant. But still, it's just Leo's character.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Still, every person he wants is either unable to date him or wants to kill him. So if you want to go with predictability...

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

True still, but that was with EVER GIRL HE SAW. Well, besides Piper, but she's dating. Anyway, he'll go for anyone he sees, but he mostly wants Thalia.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I actually think he wanted that wind/ice chick more, just with the diciton that the author uses.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Well in all honesty he is screwed either way.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yeah. Totally, utterly screwed.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

He wouldn't be the stereotypical comic relief characer if he wasn't!

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yes, good point there, birthday boy.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I agree but I hope there is someone out there. Percy is probably going to fall for someone in the Roman Camp because he can not remember Annabeth.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Ooh, Hadn't thought of that. Perhaps he came found it out just like Jason did. Considering the next book is called Son of Neptune, I'm pretty sure its about him lol.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

It is but I am willing to bet this is going to be tough for him to deal with his new found love and his feelings for annabeth.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Also do not feel bad about not figuring it out. I am extrodinarly good at seeing ahead. That is why I usally do not die in story games. Also let us not forget Jason had a girlfriend before Piper at the Roman Camp so there will be some conflict there too.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh, he should stick with Piper, not everyday you get a daughter of Aphrodite. Unless his current gf is a daughter of Venus....

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Although Venus is actually the godess of fertility, growth, vineyards, and Spring. It wasn't until people started paying more attention to Greek mythology that she became the godess of love, seeing as fertility can be regarded in multiple ways (nudge nudge)

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I catch your drift man.Bbut no the Roman aspect of her would not have all the sexiness the Greek aspect does.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

a freind of mine and i had a jolly discussion about what we thought was going to happen in the next one after we finished it, i said straight off, so what do you think annabeth is going to do when she finds out that percy has a new girlfriend? my freind remaned quiet for a moment then said, oh gods, all hades will break loose!

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

You should not be worried about what Annabeth will do. You should be worried about what Athena will do. Hopefully her Roman personia Minerva and Venus aka Aphrodite would help percy not fall in love agian. It will be intersting to see how things will be done.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

All this talk about it is making me want to read it more and more! Do you guys think Piper and her father's relationship will ever get as close as it was before he drank the potion?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I think with Hedge and Mellie backing the relationship and helping out her farther. That it is a definite possibility.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yeah, having friends that close to her father will definately help. Plus his previous assistant was evil, so that had to have something to do with it.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

lol forgot that detail, wasnt she being controlled by a titan or a god or something? that doesnt actually make her evil does it?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Giant I think, and no, not neccesarily, which was a detail I forgot lol.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

so she was not evil, but doing evil things rather she wanted to or not.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

She was being manipulated, like charmspeak, into doing evil things. So against her will, she was evil. But who knows if whe was kind originally?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

That depends on how long they were manipulating her, I mean she did suggest to send Piper to that school where she met Jason, didn't she? And if they knew that she was going to try to stop the giants, why not just have the assistant kill her in the first place.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

thats a good point, but im not sure its entirely practical, lots of stuff could be done that way, it just isnt, in book writing death is the strongest tool, its not to be overused.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I disagree, sir, they should kill people all the time.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I think that they needed to stop the main threat Jason.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

its not like they didnt try.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Zeus is just OP, so it's kinda hard to beat his son, who is apparently Zeus on crack.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

thats saying the son is stronger than the father. maye the assistant couldnt be controlled to do murderouse things.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Well maybe they were waiting to get them in where it would hurt. Like the betrayal might weaken and or distract him enough to let the head giant get free.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

elaberate further on what you are trying to get at, it sounds interesting.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Well with Piper betraying Jason, who has feeling for her, would mabey throw him off his game enough to get caught in a one of their death traps or possible delay him enough for the Lead Gaint to fully awaken.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

good theory

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I meant it like that. I thought that the Lost Hero made the gods seem less powerful, still an awesome book.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

when did piper betray jason, i remember somehting about a plan to make her betray jason.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Her dad being Kidnapped. Jason forgave her than like a badass saved both her dad and the gods.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

oh, right, i remember now. need to reread that book, its been about a year now.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I feel bad about Jason braking his lance/sword.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yeah I thought that part was Bull.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Maybe he'll get another one in the next book? Probably made of celestial bronze instead, being how the other material was so rare.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

You forgot the next one is about Percy during this time.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Unless they have a good source of it in the Roman camp. He left that part of the storyline very open, which I approve of.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Continue your thoughts on this post.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I wonder what the reaction to Percy's sword in the roman camp will be.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

A pen that turns into a sword? that's freakin awesome no matter where you go

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yes but is made by the greek metal and is also not a gladius.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Oh, that's true. Did they say the Romans didn't use celestrial bronze? It's been a few months since I've read it, but I don't remember them saying the Romans didn't, and seeing as it is one of the very few materials that can harm the monsters, I can't see why they wouldn't just make bronze gladiuses.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Unless of course they have a regular supply of the stuff that made Jason's lance, which I suggested earlier.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I beleive they do and they have a limited amount of bronze. So his sword should cause the same affect as Jason's coin.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

The coin was cool and all, but I don't like it as much. It has too much to do with luck and if you get the wrong thing at the wrong moment, your screwed. While if you lose the pen, it just reapears in your pocket, and you always know what you are going to get with it, so you an plan appropriately.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

so you can*

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I meant the disscusion they had about how rare Imperial Roman Gold was for them to find. Therefor it would make sense the reverse could be said about Cestial Brozore found at the Original Mount Olympose would be difficult for them to find.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Olympis, and I forgot about that, good job.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Olympus*

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

My brain is the ultimate memory file. I read a book 1 or 2 times and I can basically tell you verbatim what happened. It is a gift

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I wish I could do that. My plan is actually to read a book, forget most of the details in a year or two, then reread it. I remember the themes and characters, just not the specific details. At least most of them, and not for a while.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Trust me as much as a gift it is. It is also a curse. If my brain dictates information is not important or not intersting I do not remember the iteam. I have a lot of trouble with lists names B-dates and remembering where I set somthing down.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I can remember tons of useless facts, like ants can carry thirty times their own rate, but the more important stuff I forget easily. like my grandfather said, I'm more "trivial pursuit smart" than "monopoly smart"

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

So getting back on topic. What do you think the major headache that Percy is going to have trying to get the Romans to trust him? I mean Greek gods were more artsy than war like unlike the Roman gods.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Well you know how the only Greek to agree with the Roman way of life was the leader of the Ares cabin, who couldn't stand Percy in most if not all of the books? I think that their war-like tendencies will be the biggest factor, seeing as althought the greeks were great about warfare, they were not as focused on it. Plus, those who are more warlike will not trust outsiders. Plus their leader is a giant frickin wolf who kills the weak, so that might be a problem.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

He is not weak. I just do not see him as there definition of strong. Lets not forget the whole bathing in the Styx thing. They would be hard press to win. I just think that him not being as war-like as the other might bring up some issues.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I'm not saying that he is weak, just that he is not considered strong by the other Romans, so he may have some problems with Lupa.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Well I bet he will show little fear. I mean how afraid can you be if you are invincible. Accept one spot you instinctively protect.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

which spot is that again? I forgot.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

The small of his back. Annabeth took a poison knife to protect him . . . and she didn't even know that was the spot!

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Oh, right. Hard place to gaurd! I mean, keeping someone from chopping your ankle is one thing, but keeping someone from getting behind you is different altogether. It also just happens to be the one place you can't reach lol.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yes but he will be wearing amor and they will not now were to hit.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

True to the first part.They might just find out eventually, it would be a good plot twist, wouldnt it? But what I'm saying is the stereotypical evil doers are treacherous, which means they might aim for his back to catch him off gaurd, and the small of the back is a pretty good target depending on the size of the enemy. But then again, most of the monsters are bigger so it would be harder to hit, I dunno...

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I can reach all over my back . . . flexible me!

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I wonder if Percy, in his induced amnesia will date Jason's previous girlfriend. That would be one huge twist. Or if he, you know, doesn't, and Jason's previous girlfriend finds out about Jason and Piper.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Last statement is completely true. All through "Technically" they are not dating. Also the Romans had a strong sense of honor. I doubt one of them would stab him in the back. Also they would not gang up on one opponent because of that sense of Honor. Gladiator duels were always one on one, squad vs squad, and so on and so forth. They would attack from the front in a duel. Of course they might not have that sense of honor. The Greeks did not but the Romans were more orderly and honorable in battle.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

god point, but you are wrong about the gladiators.  Many times they would gang up on a convict in order to kill him, especially if he was dangerous, and make it into a performance in order to fuel the people's bloodlust. Often times they would dress the convicts up like like women and make them act in plays about mythology or other popular acts like that in order to turn it into a performance, with the only ending being a savage killing. Not very honorable there, but then again it was a different time.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Those were convicted convents I meant actually Gladiator battles.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Lol thats what I am talking about as well, they built the Colloseum as a place to punish their criminals, as well as give their citizens a good time.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

hey, back to the book! Well, whether they do that or accept Percy, I wonder who the head chief (or whatever it's called) will be. Like in Half-Blood, it was Chiron (and Dionysus, but mostly Chiron) so who's running the roman place?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Lupa, I'm pretty sure Jason said that in the last book.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Oh, right. I forgot.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Silly Fergie. Ok so who wants to see Percy kick but in the Roman Camp Say I.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I. Invincible guy with control of water? should be interesting. Then again, the Romans trained Jason, who killed a freakin Titan. Zeus had something to do with that, but no demigods, even children of Zeus like Thalia (isn't that her name), can do that from the Greek camp besides that dude who killed himself.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I I I I I I I I.

Definitely! And I wish I could go into the story so I can see the look on the Roman faces. I would be extremely happy because I love seeing surpised looks, but that's just how I like it. So, that's what I want done, but I can't do that. :(

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Who doesn't?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Romans

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I agree. ;)

Is that overkill? I couldn't tell. hahahah!

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yes it is selfishness fergie. saying I I I I all the time.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Its a good book, but some of it seems strange.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Like what? the mythology parts?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I think how he brought back human myth characters was weird.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yeah, makes sense though, if they are buried in the Earth, and Gaia is the controller of the Earth. I don't know the reason he gave, but thats what I got out of it.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Basically He said Hades has no real control in the underworld.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I don't know any Greek mythology that says he does not, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

True. Like in the 1st book, they were saying if you believe in Hell, and not the Underworld, maybe you'd see the Devil instead of Hades?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yeah, plus Chiron said that God was a deeper matter when Percy asked if the Greek gods disproved Christianity. The author did allow himself some room as well as dodge the angry Christian activists who protested Harry Potter and the Golden Compass.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

so correct.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yep he dodged a bullet there. More evidence of this is his Kane chronicles series where they don't go to Manhattan because there are other issues other gods. This keeps his book from getting to much in the whole religion thing. Also he makes the gods look like humans with human flaws. I think that most people are overly sensitive and that they need to grow up and get a life if they do not like what is going on.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

People would rather stick to what they've been tought than think with an opn mind. I personally don't think religion wouldn't be as popular if people weren't taught it as children. It did blossom at times when there were  higher deathrates and mass sickness, famine, and drought. Although I am a Christian myself, I don't think it would be as popular in modern times, although it would still exist, if we weren't taught that these things were absolute truths from childhood. However, this is not a religion forum and I havn't read his Kane series, so what do you guys think of Leo (that is his name right?)? I think he is mostly just a comic relief character, but his belt is pretty OP and he can prove himself smart at times. I am really looking forward to what he is making for their army in the upcoming books.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I think he is most likely the comic relief character but that would make him 2 dimensional. So I also think his past about his mom dieing and run away adds some dimensions. Also he seems like he uses the comedy as a from of defense against his emotions. He is also I lot smarter and good looking then even he thinks. Therefor there might be some Self of steam issue that are slowly being resolved.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Like he tries to fill iin the problems with his self esteem with comedy? I can see that.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Or uses it as a defense mechanism in high stress situations. Such as right in the begging of the book when he falls into the grand canyone instead screamming HELP ME he says "Rope,please?Bungee cord? Something?"

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

i know people like this in real life.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

We all do that is one of  the reasons he is such a great writer. Even when involving gods and monster and magic powers his characters are still relate able.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yeah, that's why I went to the Teen fiction ever since I started reading, it was more relatable.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Well not all the stories are just the good ones. Trust me only the most popular are relate-able. Wait never mind there is the Twilight series which is popular even through no one could relate to her problems.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

You might want to reverse it, it wouldn't be perfect but it would help, in my eyes at least.

Ugh, I forgot the link, but there was this one British dude who legitimately reads Twilight, and one of this other British dude's web shows was to switch places with him, and then he totally dissed the book. I have two favorite parts to it, first about halfway through the video, he stops and says "Alright, it is just now occurring to me that I am not being dropped into one of the action-packed cool scenes, so I should stop trying to be serious because those are the only good parts.", and then he starts ripping on them, and when he was reading the part when Bella accepted the fact that Edward (That's the vamp, right?) implies to Bella that he has killed people before, when Bella replies that she understands that and admires him for it. He then replies "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKAY, NOW I see why this book is so mental. Bella is obviously a psycopath who has no regard for human life. Edward, I can understand, I mean he has no choice in the matter, but Bella... She's just like 'Oh, you kill people? I think that's dreamy, wanna go out?'. I mean she is completely ***** mental, between this and some of the other crap she pulls, there is no other excuse.

That is pretty long, but I thought I would post it.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yep, I completely and utterly agree.

Now back on subject.

Lets analyze Piper's character now.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I actually thought she was fairly stragt forward, but then again I didn't pay much attention to her because I thought she was boring. What I got out of it was: Why doesn't Jason like me, Daddy issues, Mommy issues, I have to betray my boyfriend because of my daddy issues, Half-sister issues, basically a LOT of both internal and external conflict. I thought she was boring, but if anyone else has a different opinion they would like me to analyze, I would be happy to read it.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I like how you put that. Althrough I think she is abit more intresting than that. She does not have mommy issues she just did not like who she was. But with every thing elsem, I agree with you. I hope that Rick Rodiern changes her character a little in the next book. I like the Piper at the end of the book the one who had confidence and kicked ass. But the rest of the time it was intresting seeing her in a different light.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Are you sure? I thought she hated having Aphrodite as a mother untill the end where she actually met  her mother.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

No, she just did not like being a child of Aphrodite. She did not hate her mother. Maybe resented her mother but, there was no hate.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Having her as a mother, being her child, same thing.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

No It is not really. How could I explain this. She didnt like what Aphordite stood for. She thought it was a place for useless super models. That does not mean she did not like her mother as a person.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I think I getcha now

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

It is kinda hard to put into words.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

good discussion guys, about to reread this book, should only take two or three days.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

2 or 3 It takes me 1. Thanks for the complement even trough it has only been me and bo.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

i have a life outside reading. jk its got like five hundred pages man, i like to sit and think about what i have read in a couple of sittings.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Oh, I am a multitasker. I read while doing things. I can load and unload a dishwasher in 45 minutes while reading.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

i cant multi task with crap.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

sorry for you then.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

cant focus for long on something that doesnt challenge me or interest me either. seriouse handy cap.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Well back on topic do you have anything to say on topics me and bo have disscussed or new issues to be brought up.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

need to reread book first, can remember enough to realy discuss.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Kay have fun with that.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

cant*

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

It takes me about a week to read that book, but only because I read it at school between work and lectures. The one time I actually read a long book at one sitting was the last  Harry Potter book (mostly because I couldn't bring myself to stop reading) and that took me around four to six hours. (I didn't time it lol, but it took from 8:00pm to 2:00am, I'm not good with time)

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

your right 6 hours. I finished it in about 8.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

cool

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

So do we analyze Jason character next.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Didn't we already go over him? If not I'm not sure what to bring up, but I will consider a discussion that someone up starts.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

We went over his coin but not him personally/

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Well once again I don't have anything to bring up, but if you have something to say, I will comment on it.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I think he is too much like Percy for me.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yeah, it seems like Riordan has a stereotype protagonist.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I mean there are minor differences but he feels like a remake of Percy. Actually goes for the main three party characters. They all have the same feel as there predecessors.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I don't think so, I can see Leo being the new Grover, just smarter. I can't see Piper being the new Annabeth though.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Think of Piper as the new young Annabeth before she gained confidence. I think next time we see Piper she is going to be a lot like annabeth

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

i dissagre entirely. piper is in no way becoming more like annabeth, in fact i think the two of them are more diverse by the end of the book.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Ok but with the other 2 definitly like there predorcessors.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

there is a similarity between grover and leo, that is undeniable. however jason and percy have there differences as well.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I really don't see them. Could you explain furter.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

later, im heading out, will be thinking of a good responce.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Okay have fun.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

A few minor differences, but the only major difference I can find is that one is Roman and one is Greek, which is like saying that Leo and Grover are different because Grover is a Satyr lol.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Leo is sorta like Grover, isn't he? yeah, he's not a satyr, but he's like the 3rd wheel. Percy and Annabeth, Jason and Piper? Leo and Grover are sorta left out.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Grover has Jupier if you remember and is a lord of the wild. I am just saying that I do not see a real ground breaking Difference between Percy and Jason.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yeah Grover has a gf in the end, but I remember him feeling left out in the majority of the books.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
He was left out.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Especially in the 2nd book. Almost no Grover. :(

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Don't even get into the 3rd or 4th books.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

It's a shame. I really liked him.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Back on subject you have any differences between Percy and Jason other than greek roman thing.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Their weapons. Which God they were born from. How Jason's sister is Percy's friend. They went to seperate camps . . .

The list could go on and on, guys.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
We mean there personalities.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I think Jason is a lot more sure of himself, actually. I think that instead of being like "don't worry guys, I killed a titan' He would have questioned himself. Percy makes more jokes than Jason.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

"we"?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Ah. Hmmm. . . . . got nothing.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Thats the point. Bo overall through they are very similar.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I really need to reread it seeing as we are getting into an in-depth

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Good point just like Uglick.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

ok so if you look at the way jason and percy think you will find them to be different people. they both assume the same role of an alternate world, so they will be  similar. while i feel percy is less of a optimist than jason, i allso feel that jason is somewhat arrogant of his abilities while percy allways assumes something can and will go wrong. saying jason and percy are the same is alot like saying roman and greek mythology are the same. they are, but not completely.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
I get ya. Ok so they are like two sides of the same coin.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

exactly, speeking of which, jason's coin personafies that.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

arguably, thats why its destroyed towards the end of the book, it symbolizes the destruction of the sepperation of the two worlds.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Wow you really read deeply into that.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

its why it takes me a couple of days to finish it.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Well congratulation on catching something I did not. That is rare for me.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

eh, im pretty observant when i want to be, thanks though.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Didn't even see that in the coin. I had thought that their differences based on their Mythologies, like the Roman gods often sure of themselves, and the Greeks were basically dicks, which Percy acted like when he was talking to Annabeth in the first book or so, which he disguised off of him having a crush, but i didn't think that far into it.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

i did, cuz im ( my real name ) lol

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

that was intentionally arrogant sounding. it was supposed to be funny.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
It was funny, if not slightly off putting. Any more wonderful incites uglick.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

sombody would have to bring somthing up, i remember getting realy deep into that book, so there is bound to be more.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
How about the change in Pipers personality as the book progresses.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yeah. She likes charmspeak, at least slightly now.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

its not that she likes it, its that she sees that she is going to need to use it.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

She's used to it, is what I mean.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

oh ya, she deffinitly got better at it as the book went on.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

And spoke french :)

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

haha, forgot about that.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

the language of love. I really liked the snow palace scene

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

it was very well done in that it didnt seem cheesy dispite the abnormalities in play.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

The guy who liked pizza and football was stupid.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

ya, i hated it, when i imagined the scene i changed the parts that were too childish for me.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Waay too childish, I just loved the fact that the dragon can fold into origami

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

agreed, i used alot of liberties when reading this book.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Yeah, Also J'mapple cool74. Je aime en jue juex video.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

This is america, we speak english, if you want to live here, learn it.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Sorry whenever someone brings up French. I feel the need to speak it.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

well whenever someone who is fully capable of speaking english decides to use another language i feel the need to hurt said person. lol jk

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Hey just because I am multicultural and you are still staying within your boundaries. Does not deserve a beating up on.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

of course it does.  dont worry i will make you see it my way.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Just because I am not a country hick. Does not mean I cant kick your ass.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

how dare you call me a hick, if you werent joking i would be heavly offended. :)

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Joking about the hick part. Not the kick your ass part.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

this isnt an argument worth having because over the internet we are both super ninja that can beat anybody. besides i dont hit kids with glasses.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
I don't have glasses.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

i thought you said you were short sighted.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
I said there was nothing wrong with being short sighted. My mom and sister are I probably will become short sighted.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

oh, well technically there is something wrong with it sense its an error in the eyes.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Ok but it is no reason to be made fun of.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

of course not!

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Which is what I meant when I said "Nothing wrong with ..."

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

but there is something wrong with it...

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Pleas don't

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

i be trollin. :)

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Yes you are.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

thank you for noticing.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
So back on topic, Any more thermos for the next book.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

want to repost that? im pretty confused by what that means.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Any more ideas for the next book.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

ok thanks, to be original im going to say that it might be told from the perspective of percy. telling what he did durring the first book, however that will probably be told through flash backs.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
I actually think the same thing. I knew it was BS when he said percy would not be a main character in this book.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

who said that?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
The writer Rick he said percy would not be a main character in this series.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

well in that case, it will be mostly about jason and tell the story of percy through flash backs.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Or maybe just for the Lost Hero but Percy being one of the 7 makes him a main character.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

i think it means he is not the protagonist.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Well, I hope he does the next book at least partially in percy's perspective because I would like to see how he handles the situation.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

of course, it is called the sun of neptune after all.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Son not sun.

Yep, it would be a little idiotic with their is none of his perspective.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

or it could be jasons perspective on the son of neptune. :| hmmm

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
That would not make as much sense because then the book would not involve the dynamics of the Roman camp. Then we would be unable to understand the other side of the Roman gods personalities.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

all hale the power of "this is what happend earlyer"

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
I hate a really long this what happened earlier portions in a story,

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

if they are done realy well, and spread out, it can keep you on your toes begging for more.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
I really don't like those. A quick little one is fine but I hate the hindsight. Which, often flavors the memory.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

If its called the Son of Neptune, it would be kind of hard not to involve the Roman gods' personalities :P. Even if it is Jason's perspective on the Son of Neptune, it would probably involve the Roman gods somewhere, because that is what he would compare Poseidon to. Plus, they brought up how the Roman gods had different themes than the Greek gods in the Lost Hero, so he will most likely make that a recurring theme, kind of like setting a few things straight. Thats how I look at it at least, because the peoplenot seeing the differences annoy me.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Yep, There were not many differences between them but there are differences.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

like jason and percy. but there are some big differences between the two mythologies.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

yeah! People need to understand that!

Off topic, really quickly, the Roman name for Hades is Pluto, right? Well, Pluto in our solar system is the saddest, dinkiest planet ever . . . it's not even a planet! so . . . Hades is the saddest, hated god, right? he's not really considered a god because he doesn't have a place on Mount Olympus, right . . . ?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Fergie the point is mute. Pluto the planet was named that after Pluto the dog. Most don't realize this but almost every name for the planets in our solar system is not related to roman mythology. This names all came after the fall of the Romans.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

*sigh* I was just trying to make a joke, cool, get a sense of humor! XD

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

they corraspond with the roman gods, actually they are named after the roman gods.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Not all. Defiantly not Pluto.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

O'realy?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

just checked and your wrong. the planets are very much so named after the roman gods. dont forget it was the greeks and romans who first started any form of real astronomy.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Uranus is Greek

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

He created the universe, his wife was Gaia

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

he was the sky Gaea was the earth. they were the universe.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

so they planets are not named after romans, just some of them, muahahaha. I do think that Pluto was named after Mickey's dog though, theres no way around that.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

the roman gods are the greek gods, uranus's name did not change. silly.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Grr... the Roman gods are not the Greek gods!!! Aphrodite is not Venus, and Zeus is not.... whoever his Roman counterpart is, I'm not as well-versed in Roman mythology, unfortunately.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Uranuses name did not change, the planet uranus is still named after a roman god. :P

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Major Gods and Goddesses

Greek

Roman

Aphrodite Venus
Apollo Apollo
Ares Mars
Artemis Diana
Athena Minerva
Demeter Ceres
Hades Pluto [conventionally or for a trivia question, but really Pluto, a god of wealth, is the equivalent of a god of wealth called Dis]
Hephaistos Vulcan
Hera Juno
Hermes Mercury
Hestia Vesta
Kronos Saturn
Persephone Proserpina
Poseidon Neptune
Zeus Jupiter

Minor Gods
with Greek or English name on the left and Latin on the right

Erinyes / Eumenides (Furies / Kindly Ones) Dirae / Furiae
Eris Discordia
Eros Cupid
Moirai
(Fates)
Moirae / Parcae
Charites
(Graces)
Gratiae
Helios Sol
Horai
(Seasons)
Horae
Pan Faunus
Tyche Fortuna

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

thanks ferg.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Doesn't list Uranus.... but thanks

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Technically Uranus is a Titan not a god.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

He's not a Titan at all. He and Gaia created the Titans, look at the midevil mythology, Endmaster describes it pretty well.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Bo is most right here. The Romans might have used the Greek gods model to start there religion. But the gods and goddess have differences in there personalities and what they stand for.

Pluto upon double checking some sources state it was named for the god others the dog and still others claim that the dog got its name from the planet. I guess we will never know.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Maybe they just thought it was a good name.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Nothing is just a good name. Even everyday names mean something like the name Cole means the dark one.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Also This is 300 post and is the longest forum in this section Woop Woop.
301 now.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Wow cool. Looks like you ruined it because you said it was longest. Now nobody cares. Anyway, is there really nothing else to post about?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

I think we basicly covered everything possible.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

All right, I havn't been online in quite a while, so I couldn't be here to ask, but please move your whole "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" section to your own forum. Although it is almost completely intertwined with this book, it is still a different series

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Good?

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yes, thanks again 3J!

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Yeah, I agree that this forum has outlived the things to discuss as well.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Well, at least we discussed them, which is the point of the Reading Corner I guess, so I feel accomplished.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

hooray! :D

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

"I feel accomplished as well."

It didn't post that in the previous one.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Are we having a pat ourselves on the back for staying on topic fest? If we are I agree, we did an awesome job in this debate/discussion. Cheers!

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
http://cdn3.dolimg.com/explore/PMPages/Printable/Son_of_Neptune_preview.pdf

A sneak preview of the son of Neptune. So many possibles.

The Lost Hero

12 years ago
Percy is back

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Lol that took stating the obviouse to an extreme. XD

The Lost Hero

12 years ago

Awsome, thanks cool, i will take a look at that as soon as i get a chance.

The son of Neptune

12 years ago
Just changing the title and saying I am so excited. I don't want to give anything away so I will stay hushed until people read it.

The son of Neptune

12 years ago

I won't read the sneak peak because I always get my expectations way too high

The son of Neptune

12 years ago
You sure? Its only one chapter and its awesome.

The son of Neptune

12 years ago

Yep, happens all the time. I love it, which makes me wan't to buy it even more and the moments when I can't have it are torture untill I do buy it but the whole time I didn't have and wishing I did made me think the book/game/movie is way better than it actually is.

The son of Neptune

12 years ago
Well you might not want the read this forum because there is going to be a whole lot of typing. Especially, since Percy remembers Annabeth...Oops sorry about that it just slipped out. ;p

The son of Neptune

12 years ago

Ha, now THAT makes me want to read the sneak peek!

The son of Neptune

12 years ago
I think it has something to do with her being his anchor to his mortality.

The son of Neptune

12 years ago

from when he bathed in the river styx? that sounds pretty rational.

The son of Neptune

12 years ago
Yeah, if you read the chapter, he does not even remember that. He only remembers Greek words, his pen, and the name Annabeth. But nothing more and he does not know who she is.

The son of Neptune

12 years ago

Muahaha... the gods were pricks

The son of Neptune

12 years ago
I thought covered that. I actually think that Hades and Hestia were the only 2 gods that treated humanity decently. Hades no matter what always kept his deals and Hestia was on of the few gods who had a sense of a heart because that was basically what she was god of. Not love but of the warm fuzzy feelings of being safe and protected.