Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

[Answered] HTML in Pagescripts

13 years ago

I've been fiddling around with the Script Editor trying to create a map system in which empty spaces are filled in as you visit new areas.  To experiment I set up the following:

BEGIN
$PAGETEXT := "MAP TIME"
IF
%BLACKSMITH = 1
THEN
$PAGETEXT := $PAGETEXT + " PARTY ON!"
IF
%COTTAGE = 1
THEN
$PAGETEXT := $PAGETEXT + "<BR>" + "                 HECK YEAH!!"
END

Once both COTTAGE and BLACKSMITH were set to 1 the page would read:

MAP TIME PARTY ON!
HECK YEAH!!

...instead of what I was hoping it would read,

MAP TIME PARTY ON!
                  HECK YEAH!!

I've tried various things such as putting " " + " " + " " + " " ...etc., but so far nothing has worked.  Does anybody know how to set this up?  Examples would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time and help,

Retro64

13 years ago

Something that I'm planning on doing in a story I'm writing is making a map that reveals itself as you move through it. I don't quite understand what you're trying to do from your message, but if it helps, what I'm planning to do is make map out of a lot of individual squares that all join together and make a map using Zikarism (see Zikara's article). You can use CSS or HTML to position each individual square of a map, and have black squares to represent areas you haven't been yet and image squares which all join up to form the map.

I'm completely guessing at what you're trying to do, because I don't know how "heck yeah!" would be interesting to have on a map. You could make a transparent image (ie. an image which isn't anything but still takes up space), and then place that before "HECK YEAH!!" so it is positioned under "PARTY ON!". Alternatively, you could make a bunch of transparent images with each of the words on them and one with no words, and organise the page so it'd be like (where ------ is a transparency):

---MAP TIME-----PARTY ON!--
-------------------HECK YEAH!!--

Again, I don't know exactly what you're trying to do but I hope this answers your question.

13 years ago
You might be able to do it a lot easier with the preformatted text tag. It makes it so that spaces are actually put in, and uses a monospace font, so its really easy to figure out how it'll line up because each letter will take up the same amount of space.

So you'll want to type something like this:

BEGIN
$PAGETEXT := $PAGETEXT + "< pre >"
$PAGETEXT := "MAP TIME"
IF
%BLACKSMITH = 1
THEN
$PAGETEXT := $PAGETEXT + " PARTY ON!"
IF
%COTTAGE = 1
THEN
$PAGETEXT := $PAGETEXT + "
" + " HECK YEAH!!"
$PAGETEXT := $PAGETEXT + "< /pre >"
END

(except take the spaces out of the preformatted text tags)

and you should get something like this:

MAP TIME           PARTY ON!!!
HECK YEAH!!!

13 years ago

Okay, thanks for your help!  And by the way, this was just an example as I was trying to figure out how to format it correctly.  Once I figured it out I was going to change what that map said.  LOL, it would be one strange map if I didn't!

13 years ago
Glad I could help. Also glad you aren't -actually- using HECK YA! and PARTY TIME as map indicators... Would be a very confusing map, and it wouldn't help anyone out at all.