Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

A quick question

12 years ago

what is the proper term for putting an arrow on the string of a bow? lol as you can see its rather cumbersom to say it like that, so the correct term would be nice.

A quick question

12 years ago
I believe the word you be nock. You nock a bow.

Merrien Websters dictionary

nock
verb
transitive verb
: to make a nock in (a bow or arrow)
: to fit (an arrow) against the bowstring

A quick question

12 years ago

thats interesting, i found that to, but i also found notch being used. i think we need a third oppinion. or at least, i want one.

A quick question

12 years ago

If it's either nock or notch, I think notch sounds better, but that's just my opinion.

A quick question

12 years ago
I think nock is present tense while notch is past tense.

A quick question

12 years ago

no, that would be notched or nocked.

A quick question

12 years ago
Ok, well good luck with your story and I agree that notched sounds better.

A quick question

12 years ago

thanks man, good luck to you to.

A quick question

12 years ago

so do I, i just found an article that said in english its common to say "nock" or "notch". so im going to use the term notch. thanks SindriV, you to cool74.

A quick question

12 years ago

I havn't read the entire thread because I am supposed to be reading a story, but I'm going to put it out there that it is notch a bow... notch. I think the word "nock" might also apply, but I just glanced at it in a book once, I havn't heard anyone actually say it.

A quick question

12 years ago

Late to the game arnt we bo? lol ty man.

A quick question

12 years ago

Yeah, like I always do I comment before I read....

A quick question

12 years ago
That is really not a good plan.

A quick question

12 years ago
I'd say nock.

A quick question

12 years ago

Yeah, I second this. I have never heard of a bow being "notched". I've also heard it being "drawing the bow" as in "drawing an arrow". Ex- "Ugilick drew an arrow, and let it fly in Bo's face."  (NOTE: Please do not kill Bo.)

A quick question

12 years ago

i think nock sounds kinda silly, i think of something like, he knocked over the lamp, also drawing back the bow isnt done untill the arrow is notched. i might would consider saying knocked, but my story already has over 150 pages, and im not going through them all just to change one word. :p

A quick question

12 years ago

Drawing an arrow is the whole process. Not just nocking the arrow.

A quick question

12 years ago

I know drawing the arrow isnt knocking the arrow.

A quick question

12 years ago

Drawing the bow is the process of pulling it back, which assumes that there is already an arrow nocked, or notched. i have used that term, I like it.

A quick question

12 years ago

Do you think maybe notch and noked are regional terms. Ugilick and I are in the same area, and we prefer notched. Plus, seeing as I have never heard the word nocked before, I've only seen it in a book once or twice (I can't remember how many times they used it, it was in the same book), that might factor into it. I know 3J lives in Canada, and I live in Alabama, so it could be a north-south difference. I have no idea where the others who support nocked live so I can't vouch for that part.

That may sound stupid, but its just a theory I have. Like the whole biscuits-cookies thing.

A quick question

12 years ago

Ive thought something similar myself, though i was not willing to vocalize it.

A quick question

12 years ago

I live in Alabama also and I have always said nock so I dont thing it's a regional thing. I know people that say notch too so i think its just a personal preference.

A quick question

12 years ago

Probably, I just found it strange that everyone I know says notch and 3J and others say nock. Both sound like other words, and it doesn't really matter which people use, but I was interested.

A quick question

12 years ago

I've never heard of either (except the term step it up a notch, but I'm not certain whether there is a connection), I just picked what sounded better to me.

A quick question

12 years ago

I dont want to use nock, simply becuase i often say something was nocked over, or he was nocked off his feet, with the exception of sindriv's example, i cant think of a single situation where i would use the term notch otherwise.

A quick question

12 years ago

Technically that is a totally different work called knock, but the English language is kinda weird. How about when you make a notch in something, like to keep tally?

A quick question

12 years ago

ah! yes that would be another usage, but i do not intend to ever have that in the story.

A quick question

12 years ago

If it makes any difference, I've always heard/read it as "nock". The only time I've heard notch is when they say those lame lines in a movie like "it's time to turn it up a notch" while in a battle.

A quick question

12 years ago

it does make a difference, it makes me anoyed that more people prefer the term im not using. :/

A quick question

12 years ago

which isnt to say im annoyed with anyone, just that the term puts me in what i view as an odd spot.

A quick question

12 years ago

Well if you give a shit, replace "notch" with "nock". Otherwise I won't read your story.

A quick question

12 years ago

If your short sighted enough to allow that to bother you, than i dont want you reading my story.  :P

A quick question

12 years ago
I have always heard and used notched. I just thought that it was not the correct term when I used Websters dictionary. I also agree that you are not only shortsighted but blind by insolence, if you let a word preference determine whether you read a story or not.