Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Looking for a good, suspenseful story ^^

12 years ago

Hey, do any of you guys have some suggestions of a storygame that is very suspenseful. I enjoy actiony stories with good detail, satisfying endings (good or bad) and something I can really get absorbed in. I've noticed a lot of stories are focussed on male or female characters, instead of having a choice between the two. It would be nice to be able to choose ^^ thanks for your help.

12 years ago
I don't think that any of the premier stories give you choice between gender, but I also don't see how one could expect that. Usually, when you read a story, you read from the perspective of the protagonist, who is a character the author carefully crafted. The story only works because of who the protagonist is. That doesn't change for an in depth CYOA. If the story is tailored to the protagonist then it doesn't make sense for you to be able to choose gender, since that would alter the entire story and cause the author to have to write twice as much and perhaps not even have an integral plot line at all.

In conclusion, it's simultaneously unreasonable to ask the author to do that much work and also a little crazy because the whole story is likely to be centered around the character the author created and that character is likely one gender or the other.

As for good, in depth stories, you should definitely check out Ground Zero by Endmaster and Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight by madglee.

12 years ago

You have a good point there ^^ Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! I'll see what I can find and hopefully get my story up someday soon :D 

12 years ago

Let me think, Good stories. The Order of the Midnight Sun is my favourite. Captured isnt fantastic, its kinda short, but i suppose you could say it has suspence in it. i was preparing a big long post in a word processer, but 3J beat me to it by a long shot. lol

12 years ago

If you want Indepth, look at 3J's suggestions. I would also suggest OMS (Order of the Midnight Sun) and the Walmart Game. If you are just looking for good games after you read all those suggested, look for Necromancer by Endmaster, a lot of people like that one from what I've heard, including myself. Also check out the Homo Perfectus series.

The reason why there is normally just one gender per story is because a lot of the experiences in the story are gender-specific, like attractions (I know that could include homosexuals, but that would just be another branch that would take too long) and emotions.