Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Discworld

12 years ago
Has anyone read the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett?

Discworld

12 years ago

I read a chapter or two of it as a child but I didn't really find it that entertaining. Apparently it's a classic, though. Is it worth going to the library and checking it out?

Discworld

12 years ago

I've read one, and also The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky, if those are in that world.

All the books I've read by him have been great.

Discworld

12 years ago
Do you remember which book it was? I also read one or two Discworld books when I was a child and I didn't like them too much then either, maybe I was too young to understand them. You should definitely check them out but be careful because there are different serieses (is that a word?) in the series about different characters and you might not like one but like another. Some people don't like the Rincewind books so if they read The Colour of Magic (the first Discworld book) then they would get a bad idea of the rest of the books, (especially since that book isn't very good compared to the later ones) but if they started with Guards! Guards!, which is about the city watch who are kind of like policeman, then they might like it. So if you start with The Colour of Magic and you don't like it then remember that the rest of the series is better and you might prefer reading about different characters like Death or the witches.

Discworld

12 years ago

It was Monstrous Regiment.

Discworld

12 years ago
I don't remember much about that one but I liked it. I prefer the books about the witches or the watch or Death though. The wizards are also funny and I like the Moist books too but there's only two of them.

Discworld

12 years ago
I've definitely heard of it, but I've never read it.

Discworld

12 years ago
It's really good! Maybe my favourite series but that's hard to decide because there are lots of reasons for liking a book and choosing between books of different genres can be difficult. It's hard for me to imagine someone not liking Discworld but I suppose it depends on what kind of books you like.