Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
A lot of people have been racist to me. The worst one was this:

Me: *Talking to my friends.*
Allison: *Interrupts me, and starts talking about something random.*
Me: Uhhhh...
You innterupted me, can I talk now?
Allison: Just shutup!
Me: What the heck?!
Allison: I just don`t like brown people.

My friends told on Allison. I was really hurt, 'cause back then, Allison was one of my best friends.

I was her friend again after that, but I will never forget what she did.

Racism is very harmful. It could really hurt someone, inside and out. It`s not right.

I have many other stories about how people have been racist to me, but this was my strongest output.

Please understand that...

RACISM IS WRONG!

I am Sri Lankan. If you don`t know what Sri Lankan people look like, then picture an Indian person.

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago
Fixed that for you and I agree it is not a good thing.

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago
What do you mean by: 'Fixed that for you'?

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago
Look at the title I changed it from Ain't to Isn't because Isn't is more grammatically correct.

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago
I meant to say ain`t! CHANGE IT BACK! You have NO right, or u do, but whatever. change it NOW!

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago

Ain't isn't a word.

So.....

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago
Ain't is a word.

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago

Fine, it's an improper word. Happy?

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago
Improper in some circles. But then again, shitstain is improper in some circles.

I'm one of those people who think that language is fluid and ever-changing. There is no One Right Way to speak or write.

Most of what we call good grammar is actually the local style of the first people to print college books. More than a hundred years ago the Chicago Manual of Style was made so that professors could read each other's papers. Since it was the first "official" authority on the proper way to write it was adopted by schools across the country. Kids grew up learning that this way, this Chicago professors' style, was the One Right Way to write.

Those kids insisted that their kids learned the right way to write. And so on down the decades. So even though the spoken language is changing (think Valley Girl, Buffyspeak, Hillybilly talk, Texas drawl, New England accent, hip-hop slang; or even British, Jamaican, Indian, or Australian English) the written language is still the same now (minus a vastly expanded vocabulary) as it was a century ago. So what are real words that we use all the time (I say "ya'll a lot) are not believed to be so by people who think that the dictionary is some kind of English Rule Book.

Sorry for the history lesson. My field is in history and I love the history of languages.

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago

I suppose you're the type of person who would even defend ghetto-speak as a real language?

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago

Oh on, that would offend the poor, Killa. rofl.

Racism Ain't Cool!

12 years ago
Yep. Depending upon the ghetto it would be real English or real Polish or real Spanish.

What, do you think it is an unreal language? Like some supernatural form of communication, like ghetto ESP?

Racism Ain't Cool!

12 years ago

Oh, I don't know, it might just be ;p

Though, if you're going to go by "what is a language", there is a Language Rulebook for that.

Racism Ain't Cool!

12 years ago

Ghetto is pretty much a dialect of english where everyone went: "You know what? Fuck the rules we'll do what we want".

But languages are one of the things I don't see much objectivity to, so in the end I don't care lol.

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago
Why do you want it to be Ain't That is terrible speech really it should be is not.

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago
The actual article isnt changed, so HA! Change it NOW! :P

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago
Try replying to this very post, and when you do, see what the box entitled "Subject: _________" says.

Or just look at the bold letters above the ones above this one.

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago

You have poor taste in friends if you considered her a best friend when she acted like that to you.

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago
That is a very good point.

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago
No dumbo! She was my bff, before she said that. DUH! Get your facts right. And AIN`T was to make it cooler, so....

SHUSH UP CAT FACE!

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago
I don't see what makes that cool.

Also, saying that you did it to have it appear cooler vastly decreases the "coolness" of it.

Racism Is Not Cool!

12 years ago
It does not sound cool but uneducated.

Racism Is Not Cool!

12 years ago

Didn't you know?

Your cool level is inversely proportional to your educational level.

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago

You need to cool down. 'SHUSH UP CATFACE!' gives me a bad impression of you. I can understand if you're having a bad day, but don't take it out on people you don't know.

Racism Isn`t Cool!

12 years ago

Honestly fergie, I think the internet is a better substitute than per say people you do know from real life.

Racism Is Not Cool!

12 years ago
Changed it again It changes what it shows up as on the last forum posting broad.

Racism Is Not Cool!

12 years ago
Actually, if you go into The Lounge, it is still named after the first post and not the last as it is on the main forum page.

Racism is cognizant of a mercurial nature thusly!

12 years ago

And yes, thusly is incorrect! Guess why I used it. :D

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
Sorry that this happened to you. You're right. Racism isn't cool.

I live in Texas and there are a lot of racists in my neighborhood. It doesn't help that I live right next to Reliant Stadium and every week the local football crowd comes to watch the Houston Texans play. Such a sea of Confederate flags, Natty Light, and Truck Nutz at the tailgate!

It's definitely hard to have brown skin around here. Totally sucks.

You're Sri Lankan, eh? That'a awesome! Judging by your friend's name (Allison), I'd guess you don't live there right now. But I could be wrong.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

Confederate is the new nazi after being imported from Germany after World War 2 and all. ;p

Well either that, or they're ignorant of the symbolism. And that pertains to a whole new meaning behind 'ignorance is bliss'.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
thnx, I do live in the usa now. I came here in 2005.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

1. As an Alabama boy, I use Ain't all the time. It aint a ghetto word, Killa >-> it can also be considered redneck, or whatever you want to call it, but I really don't see the difference. We use it all the time, I alternate between aint and isn't frequently, and I honestly don't se ewhy you're getting so infuriated over it.

2. "ghetto speak" or whatever you called it, is called Ubonics (some spell it Ebonics, I don't), there's a word for that particular dialect.

3. Yup, Racism is terrible, and unfortunately still alive today. I honestly don't see the point of it, yes there are poor, undereducated black or hispanic people, but there are poor, undereductaed people of any race at all, and I've met intelligent people of all races.

4. Why are you still friends with this chick? Sit her down, and talk with her about how you feel about this if you haven't done so already. You shouldn't let something like race  get between you, but you shouldn't let her insult your race/heritage for no reason either.

5. haha, I'm there with you all the way Erudite. the Confederacy, although it stood for more than just slavery and racial superiority, is a symbol for racists everywhere, just like the swastika. There's no reason not be proud of your heritage, but you have to realize what you should and should not be proud of haha. I do know that the Confederacy extremely set the south back by decades at least, what with the war, no industry for a long time, and reconstruction.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
My English teacher would have a heart attack followed by a detention if I used ain't in her presence.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

I never claimed it was a ghetto word.

In fact I've used it at school before, which results in my teacher saying "Ain't ain't a word!". To which we all laugh at her and pointed out her flaw. Then for the rest of the year whenever someone said ain't everyone else would yell "ain't ain't a word!".

I also know it's called Ebonics, I just don't care lol.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

Yarrr matey. Ye speac pirate?

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

It is true that some see words and dialects like "Ain't" as being a proper and commonly used word, however, each society has a social circle, and language itself is like a membership into that particular ensemble. Just like there are cool kids and nerds in high school, each form is grouping in life real is a mirrior image of that. And while you may divert from those roots, you will also be isolated as a consequence. Think traditional republican and liberal democrat. They both speak english and even at the same level, but beliefs, upbringing, and social gathering puts a berlin wall in between. So, although you can use words like "ain't" or "y'all", it will nevertheless expel you from whatever fraction you were considered part of. Another way of objectively looking at it, miscommunication as lead to wars and worse. So, true, for the common plebian it may mean nothing, however, to a lawyer or a politician, misusing a single word mean either being fired, going to war, or imprisoned.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
The first half of that was fantastic. I agree with it 100%. But then you lost me at the very end.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
One of the few times you made a sensible counter point. I fully agree with your statement. I misplaced word or sentence can make a big deal.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

Sensible? >.<

I have always made sensible counterpoints, most of the time you guys just don't understand the point I try to make, or interpret it incorrectly.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
Or you go off on a tangent and we stop listening. Whichever comes first.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

"ghetto-speak as a real language?" So, you never said it was a gettho sord, just part of the ghetto language ^-^

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

I actually made no connection to the word at all. I just stated if she felt "ain't" was a proper word she's probably thinks "Ghetto-speak" is a real language.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

Touche

Also I saw that you said "Ghetto is pretty much a dialect of english where everyone went: "You know what? Fuck the rules we'll do what we want". I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say you were joking, like I do when people speak Ubonics, but for those of you who don't know, Ubonics was made when some slaveowners didn't bother to teach slaves any more english than they needed to, so they mixed certain African languages and English words and pronunciations in order to communicate with one another in their own language (I forgot the name of the language, but it starts with a G). As more and more of the slaves learned English, the language (Wait, I remember now, it's Gulla! The spelling might be a bit off there) eventually developed into Ubonics.

Of course, in a society where you're actually taught how to speak proper English, there's really no excuse for Ubonics. Also, I'm not talking about the ghetto accent, that normally can only be helped over a lot of training, Ubonics is another thing entirely.

Like I said, that was for people who don't know and may just be lurking in the forums, not at most of the regulars here. I hate it when people come to believe historical innacurracies because of a simple misunderstanding, it happens more often than you think.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
I live in IL and she moved to VB.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

one question where is vb virginia beach?

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
IF YOU DON`T HAVE A COMMENT ABOUT RACISM; THEN DON`T COMMENT AT ALL!!! I WILL COMPLAIN!!! THANKS TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY COMMENTED ABOUT RACISM!

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
You can complain a lot that does not stop us.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
It's not like he paid any attention to us when we complained about grammar.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
Good point.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
Honestly, SJEKidd, people around here don't tend to respond well to your kind of attitude, and you probably shouldn't expect that to change. If you talk in all capitals and get frustrated with people that easily, and if you come on a -writing- site and purposefully spell with poor grammar and in other ways that don't really mesh with the spirit of the site, then you are likely never going to find a very receptive audience here.

Also, you can't really hope to keep these people on topic. It just doesn't happen. Don't take it personally, and learn to deal with it.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

What are you talking about? I never go off topic.

It's like when I was at school that one time....

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
Off topic me? Never!

So guys about that neutral city.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

What about it? I'm pretty sure it won't be racist, although there is no known rac in the Continent game <-<

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

You guys are bad at catching sarcasm lol.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

What do you mean? I was taking the sarcasm and rolling with it in my opinion, but feel free to correct me.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

Correct you on what?

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
We were proving her point in a sarcastic way. Take the joke.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

I was making us go more off topic.

:D

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

Hypocrite. ;p

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
Aren't we all.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago
You are annoying. Go away or stop being so annoying.

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

dude comon it's kinda funny. btw sakuni you eva encountered cherry tree yet? (aka cherathi if you didn't know)

Racism Ain`t Cool!

12 years ago

Hahaha