Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Rise to Power

11 years ago

I am working on a story right now where you are playing a young man who gets thrust into a world on the brink of war. War is inevitable but how you will influence and play a role in it can affect it greatly. I have 3 solid main branches and toying with the idea of a fourth. I am planning on making it an long tale, hopefully I can make it on par with the length and quality of EndMaster or JJJ's games. Ok for the major plot line.

You are the youngest son in a family of farmers living on the plains along the edge of a great forest. Your village is attacked sparking a war between your country and the neighboring one. In a descisive battle you help your country turn the tide of war and begin to defeat their foe. All the while gaining a better position within the government, and someone who is respected or feared (depending on your choices) throughout the country.

I can't really tell you what happens after that as I do have some twists in store and those while hopefully throw you for a loop. :) So what do you guys think?

Rise to Power

11 years ago

Sounds great, but it's gonna be a lot of work.

I had a very ambitious first story too, but it turned out to be far more work than I'd expected.

Rise to Power

11 years ago

Cool! This will be interesting. I hope you can finish this story and won't lose motivation as easily as me! :-D

So how far are you at this story?

Rise to Power

11 years ago
This is your first story, so even though you can hit the length of a Endmaster of 3J game, don't shoot for quality just yet. Not saying that you're not capable of it (I have no idea), but if you aim that high on your first shot you're running a high risk of falling short and being dissapointed.

Rise to Power

11 years ago

I don't think there's anything wrong with aiming for quality on the first try. As long as you know it's a lot of work, it's a lot better than making something terrible and using "it's my first story" as an excuse. It seems stupid to aim for making a sub-par story.

Rise to Power

11 years ago

I was thinking that the advice would be 'not to worry about quantity' in your fist game. Quality should always be a goal.

Rise to Power

11 years ago

Are you a leader of a country or an army/part of an army?

Rise to Power

11 years ago

I think you play as a soldier in an army but i'm not sure.

Rise to Power

11 years ago

you play as a soldier initially, though the choices you make will change the outcome of that whether you remain as one or lead the country yourself.

Rise to Power

11 years ago

Do we get to choose the type of goverment we run it on?