Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 6/4/2014: OH WHY THE HECK NOT
This feature was completed 6/4/2014: Hacked in as a simple notification

[Forums] Tag User in Post

11 years ago

I'd like to see the ability to tag users in posts (@Zikara to tag Zikara, for instance.) Would work the same way as facebook (don't hate it just yet haha).

It would turn the username into a link to their profile and it would also send them a notification. These notifications should be disable-able from the account settings. The reason I'd really like this is that there are many times where I feel like a user belongs in a thread but might not see it. Rather then send a PM each time, this would be a lot more convenient.

I would have used it to notify Alex about the FWW post, to notify Zikara about a recent AEF post and awhile ago to notify madglee about a post I thought he'd be interested in, among countless other times.

Low priority.

11 years ago

I can sort of see the merit in this idea. I'm just afraid that if it gets implemented we'll see posts consisting entirely of "@username", when you could just as easily send the person a PM. Like, if you wanted to tag somebody in a large post or just link to their profile quickly this would be useful.

11 years ago

Maybe we can do custom tags?

EX:

[?example?]

[blablablabla?]

For the Homo Perfectus series:

[HP]

11 years ago

I'm confused, what do you mean?

11 years ago

Love this idea, actually.

I'd see it as being useful for games, too. Like if its a new turn, you just post that in the thread, and then tag all the participants. BOOM! Everyone gets notified without spending a lot of time.

Also, I like being mentioned :)

11 years ago

Actually, yeah. It would be perfect for forum games.

There's also the idea of removing notifications from certain users only, who tag you. So rather than removing all tag notifications, I could remove only notifications sent by CloJagBack tagging me.

11 years ago
Yea, I like that too. Just for spammers, that way if you were in a forum game you could have them on, but block someone that was spamming you with tags in posts elsewhere, if that started occuring (which considering the ratio of trolls we seem to get on the site, would be inevitable). Would be pretty easy if we just added another button on their profile page where it has ones for sending messages, etc.

11 years ago

This may be in another FWW... but when I redid the forums, I disabled the subscription thing sinec it had been broken forever.

Wonder... should we use the subscription thing to send notifications (like, same subsystem that duels use)?