Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 3/5/2013: The reward for dedication? 1 pt per day

Change daily point to weekly point

11 years ago

I think that 365 points a year for clicking on a button is too many. With the way things currently are, it takes 10 days of clicking the daily point button to earn what you'd get for writing and publishing an entire storygame. It takes less than a third of the year to match the 100 points you'd get for having your storygame featured.

Because of the daily point, EXP is not an accurate enough measure of a member's contribution to the site. Example: I currently have more points than EndMaster.

You don't need to get rid of it completely (as rewarding people for being active is a good thing), but maybe changing it to a weekly point would solve this problem.

11 years ago

I say, rather than reducing the Daily Point, just Up the XP Value of Stories and put in some code to give extra XPs to 6 or Higher Rated Stories once they have been read 500 times or more.

11 years ago
I prefer what bz said, even though endmaster has 8 featured stories, he rarely(i'm not sure) visits here so he doesn't deserve it. On the other hand you(october) and 3j have contributed awesomely to this site thats why you have more points. But.... Some people visit here for a minute, take their point and vanish, thats not fair... I think just reward 25 points for a story and 200 points for a featured and 300 points for home page featured.

11 years ago

Not that I care about points and such (I don't even know where you get the daily point) but this comment that I'm never here is just flat out wrong. With 14 stories and over 1000 posts I'm here quite a bit. Even if I'm not actively posting I'm usually lurking.

11 years ago
I apoligies(whatever it spells). Actually, i never saw you here so i just said(i had mentioned, i'm not sure..). I though you only stayed at If and only came here to post a story, or complete eternal. My grammar sucks, but that's an international thing..!

11 years ago

You have a perfect avatar for lurking. ;)

11 years ago

I'm still technically a "newb" so I'm not 100% comfortable even putting in my two cents on this, but even without the daily point, I don't think EXP would be an accurate show of contribution. I mean, what about duels? As games, I'm sure they're fun, but playing RPS doesn't actually count toward contributing any more than the daily visit does, if that much. At the very least (and I mean, I do take advantage of my daily points, but I tend to agree with you for the most part), they do give a little motivation to "check in." That's not much in their defense, but still, for comparative purposes. 

11 years ago

Oh yeah, that reminds me, I forgot to get my daily point... Mine! ^_^

11 years ago

Woody Allen once said that 80 percent of success is just showing up, and in my experience that's actually kinda true.

You're right, you could absolutely log-in for four months and get ~120 points, but let's keep in mind that that requires not just remembering to log in each and every day to navigate to a fairly buried page, but actually caring about getting these experience points. To me, that's dedication... and that counts for something.

How much? 1 EXP / day.

11 years ago

Fair enough, if it's how you meant for it to be then I'll leave it be.

11 years ago

You know, I don't think there was much thought into this when we came up with it...

So, this this is mostly my 2c after thinking about it in response to the thread :-)

11 years ago

Oh, now that i thnk about it more... from a "strategic" standpoint, I think we do want active members --- even if they don't contribute beyond no-comment ratings and clicking the daily point. Reason being... they tell 10 of their friends how awesome the ste is, and eventually, we find the next great author through word-of-mouth.

11 years ago

If you ask me, that totally makes sense too.  Also, I see it this way:

Let's say I only log in a play games, never make them, and never rate them.  I would have to manage to log in every day in a year to get 365 xp.  And, since rating doesn't require comments to get the point (if I understand it correctly), one can be shy and  silent and still get the points.

Now, If someone actually is interested in writing and rating, they're more likely to log in and remember these things.  Plus, they're getting the points from what they actually do on the site.

But, the daily point existing, and not being automated, means that if people DO care about the XP, for whatever reason, it means they're logging in.  Every day they log in, the chance of them getting inspired to write a game, post on a forum, or rate/comment a game is higher than the days they don't log in, obviously.  One day something might catch their eye as they're looking to get that one little point.