Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 6/4/2014: OK, sure!
This feature was completed 6/15/2014: Done!

[forums] following a thread

10 years ago

I've noticed on the feature wishing well other posts that suggest something similar to this. They suggest that you get notified whenever someone replies to one of your posts. That would be a hassle for people who are very active on the forums.

I suggest that instead, we would be able to follow a post by pressing a button like a star or a pen on the OP of a thread and we would get notified whenever someone posted on that thread.

ie: I follow this thread by pressing a small button at the edge of the OP. Someone replies I get a PM and/or and email notifying me that on this thread there was a reply.

It would be practical and useful. Plus, when you would lose interest in a thread you previously followed. you can just press the button again to unfollow it and cease receiving notifications.

10 years ago

I would enjoy this

10 years ago

I love this idea. And the notification can provide a clicky lick to that thread. 

10 years ago

Expected Date: 9th June, 2014

Me like this feature.

10 years ago

Look at you, all optimistic!

10 years ago

They did used to have it, didn't care when it was patched out.

10 years ago

Yeah, I could see this as a handy option.

10 years ago

I find this rather useless. I mean, is it that difficult to simply tap the specific forum, and then push the specific thread? It isn't useful enough to really warrant implementation.

10 years ago

Because it's a bitch to have to refresh the page every couple of minutes?

10 years ago

Yep, since pressing ctrl+R is much more difficult then dragging the mouse to a notification on the top, which would take you to a page showing all the threads that were replied to, and then needing to press one of those links to the specific thread. *sarcasm

.... Yeah, ctrl+R is much easier, to be honest, and doesn't require coding.

10 years ago

Difference of opinion. I would prefer to just know when something has been replied to, rather than page refreshing (especially for really long threads)

10 years ago

See, imagine the notifaction is like the PM system. You'd need to click that little notification, which would then tell you which thread has been replied to. If you refresh the forum page, (not the thread, but the Forums) it takes less time and no coding on alex's end.

10 years ago

The practical aspect of this is for people who are active on several different threads. some people whould find it more practical then opening 20 tabs on their browser and refreshing them continuously

10 years ago

Actually, that makes it the least practical. :P

If you have 5 notifications on the top, it takes longer then simply refreshing the forum page to direct yourself to each thread. It's only practical for one who is active in a single thread, since he can easily tell which thread was replied to. :P

10 years ago

I assume what he was doing meant it would be a separate PM for each thread (and it would include the thread name)

Maybe even the post in question would be sent

10 years ago

That would make life even more difficult. 

(Unless you could reply directly from the fake PM. which would make it viable, but still not worth while.)

10 years ago

What I like most about it it that is Optional - in other words, I wouldn't use it.

The only reason I could see for having it notify you about a reply, would be if you were the type that only popped in once or twice a week.

Aman is right though, it's actually less efficient to receive a notification and check it than to just open the forum windows and scroll down to see what was replied to since your last visit...

What I really want though, is an application that gives me XP's every time someone replies to a thread I posted in...devil

10 years ago

that would be a point-haven for me and you BZ. :P

?Yeah, but if most of us won't use it, it becomes a pain for Alexp to code, making it effectively worthless.

though, I agree with the idea for those who only pop up every week or two. It does seem worthwhile for those.

10 years ago

As long as it is optional, I'm a fan.