Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

What makes a good Zombie Apocalypse story?

10 years ago

With the amount of zombie movies, fiction and computer games now almost at horde proportions in itself, I'm wondering what you think makes a good zombie apocalypse story. Which stories are your favorites? Which do you dislike? Is there something that you feel makes one zombie story better than another? What makes one tale rise to the top of the stinking, oozing mass and what causes others to rot quietly at the bottom?

Am I going to write my zombie apocalypse any time soon? I don't know, maybe. On the one hand, it'd be fun, but on the other, you could say it's a bit like flogging a dead (or undead) horse: as a genre, it's pretty much completely tapped and is now repeating itself ad-nauseum - and yet there's the thing: it does so to the delight of countless millions including myself. We don't mind, indeed, we enjoy seeing the same story again again, as long as it's suitably different and has more of the elements we enjoy and less of those we don't.

So tell me, Listener, what are those grisly undead elements for you?

10 years ago

I haven't read any zombie stories(unless you count CYS games) but I think the best are the ones that make you feel the bloodrush, the adrelin pumping, the horror... Feel the zombies coming within inches of you, their hordes swarming...

10 years ago

I find the concept of zombies unrealistic, stupid, and that the zombie scenarios/stories/movies are the most idiotic use of unrealism and special effects in movies ever to be had. Ever. (there's probably worse, but I'm just talking about the genre in general)

10 years ago

See here

10 years ago

I'm talking about the scenarios shown in the actual zombie movies/stories. This is an actual scientific explanation to a possible, extremely different version of the zombie apocalypse shown in movies and books.

10 years ago

What 'bout Dead Man Walking.

10 years ago

Probably the survival aspect of it. The zombies should just be one extra obstacle to survive.

Usually the best zombies movies tend to have the most dangerous conflict with other survivors rather the zombies. (Well until the end of the movie where the zombie have inevitably overrun the safety area)

Zombies by themselves aren't very interesting because there isn't much you can do with them without "cheating" a bit. Even if we use Berka's story as an example, he jazzed it up by putting in a few "special zombies" and even a hell hound creature. Which is still cool, but its more like a Resident Evil video game rather than say the Walking Dead comic which to me is a more "pure" example of a zombie apocalypse.

I once thought about doing a zombie apocalypse story, but they're so prevalent now that I decided against it.

10 years ago

I find that zombies can be an interesting component in a survival story if done right, and could ruin the story completely if done wrong. 

It's a zombie-apocalypse, so the focus shouldn't be on the zombies (like so many other stories) but how we deal with what occurred in the world. 

Human versus Human is much more interesting then Dead Corpse that is pure evil VS man. You can understand why the newly sociopathic neighbor has changed, and you feel for the character, while killing hoards of zombies isn't all too interesting. (unless the hoard happens to be all close friends of yours, which makes the battle more of an emotional scene then a bloodbath.)

10 years ago

Like many have said the survival aspect and human vs human intrest is what is important. If you just have a story that begins and ends with killing zombies it is not as interesting as having emotional characters who you get involved with in the story. 

Also love the RWBY pic. Go roosterteeth!

10 years ago

*High fives Cool*

10 years ago

Moved this to the Writing Workshop.

I'm not familiar with that many zombie stories, but there are a couple of things that come to mind when talking about what makes a good one.

First - you have to have believable characters and decisions that force you to think twice about what you would do. For example, if the characters are believable you're going to have a much harder time leaving them to die than if the author has been lazy with them.

The other important thing is to be realistic. Obviously you don't have to be too realistic - I mean it's a zombie story for heaven's sake - but if the protagonist previously struggled to kill one zombie and then effortlessly kills seven at once later on it'll detract from the story. Exaggerated example but you know what I mean. If you're realistic you can create an anxious atmosphere - a sense of danger that draws the reader into the story.

That's my two cents anyway, based on what I've played on CYS and the 2.5 zombie movies I've seen (I'm too chicken to watch more).

10 years ago

Another thing is you shouldn't be able to fight them for too long unless you're well armed or badass. If you're an average bastard, like in BZ's story, you should have to find more creative ways to kill them, rather than by hatchetfacing them by the dozen.

10 years ago

Another Zombie Trope is the helpless kid that you want to save, but will probably get you killed if you even bother to try. It's a popular cliche for a reason though haha!

Most of the times the Kid will get you killed solely for the purpose of making it easier on the writer. I can't blame them for that as long as the 'death by kid' scene is gruesome enough  ;)

10 years ago

Not to mention the introduction of a kid usually makes the focus entirely on them.

See the walking dead for examples haha.

10 years ago

For me (Since I love horror and zombies in particular) Its about the sense of relentlessness  and constant fear hanging over the survivor that is intriguing.  Zombies by themselves (When-ever I say zombies I am meaning classical slow/shambling zombies) Are not great enemies and can never be the main protagonist. They simply provide the backdrop to the terror of the survival horror. The provide a singly easy to defeat enemy but one that never goes away and always lurks in your mind as you know that one slight mistake and its over.

10 years ago

You should avoid throwing us directly in the middle of the city with the amnesia plot.

Also, a world where zombies are dealt in the best possible way from the start is not that appealing.

And avoid any plot that happened in Rambo, Die hard, or fast and furious. They take away all the fun of a zombie story.

10 years ago

Have you read Dead Man Walking yet?