Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Graphical story anyone?

10 years ago

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping out with a story for a graphical adventure?

I can code and I can do 3D artwork but I suck as a story writer and without a story Its going nowhere fast lol

The plan would be a story for kids, 3D graphics, text and the regular controls, format well I can do flash. pc, mac handhelds but the latter is a bit of a minefield

I know no one knows me from Adam, I'm trying to combine the things I like doing and if anyone would like to help that would be great :)

It could be a story that's already written, the plan was to do something freeware, this isn't about money, it only complicates things and I like the freedom

thanks

Nige

Graphical story anyone?

10 years ago

Might help if you had a portfolio we could look at - or even make a small sample story just to show what you have in mind  =)

Graphical story anyone?

10 years ago

3D artwork you can find here, its quite a diverse mix!

http://arfur9.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0

I also have my daughter who is better than me at characters and can also do 2D

The software side of it, I was leaving open,I could do it in QT, Flash, VB, not to mention a few game engines, I wanted to take in what the author would like as well

There's very little left on the net relating to games I've done, just a few templates for Visionaire, this one Driftwood shows a GUI like in the Monkey Island game:

https://www.visionaire-studio.net/shop/article/mi-1-style-gui-demo-halfkut-driftwood.html

The game wont work without Visionaire but I can build it, its not a game really it just shows how the ui should be coded

My big coding thing is a batch rendering tool but no use to anyone here lol

http://nigecdesigns.co.uk/tiki-index.php

Graphical story anyone?

10 years ago

What did you have in mind fantasy (elves warlocks etc.) Zombies, Standard horror (haunted house stuff) Superheroes I mean I am writing a story game that would be an awesome 2d investment. Ive got sound clips and everything for it

Graphical story anyone?

10 years ago

It all came about through learning what my limits are and with game creation I always fell flat on my face with the story, lets face it if the story and puzzles are good you can get away with a stick man and a few lines graphics wise

I wanted to do my own game engine and a Choose your own adventure is the most do able and not that common

Then I want to do something my grand kids will enjoy, my grandson can't get his head around Point n Click games and I'd like to do a game people don't need to hit the internet for a walk through every 2 minutes

Story wise, personally i like horror and Science Fiction, but I was keeping a open mind, the only exception set in stone was something "top shelf" is not an option

I could expand on the engine, to make it more interactive, my test run used a verb system and click on the image

If you did want to help we could work on what you would want to see, after all my side of it is nothing but code and a blank canvas without a story :)

Graphical story anyone?

10 years ago

Well thats cool My Story relies heavy on graphical descriptions and I actually have all the visual images (real photos) and they are all rich and in depth. So I think we could work something out. It's a mystery horror thriller type deal.

Graphical story anyone?

10 years ago

the shading effect of Tell Tales Walking Dead (its almost comic book but HD) would be absolutely perfect (or at least that style)

For my game "The End of the Line"

Graphical story anyone?

10 years ago

Progress thus far:

The original Idea was something like the Kindle Choose Your Own Stories books, which aren't that difficult to program but its limited to the bog standard Kindle so I thought cross platform would be nice, but over the last week or so the costs and hoops you need to jump through is unreal (and out of my budget of minus zero)

I've decided to use the engine  Daedalic use for their Living Stories, which gives me the option to be interactive as well, its early days and for the first book it'll be Edutainment (there's a story here but the author hasn't been around for 11 years!)

So I'm going to beaver away and get a demo working :)

Graphical story anyone?

10 years ago

I can write any type story (including even love ones or dancing ones).

I have one story of my own that could use some illustrations, if you would be interested. It's a superhero game

Of course, it's your choice

Graphical story anyone?

10 years ago

Hi liuxess

Yes I'm interested, Like I said I'm mainly a 3D artist but there's ways to tone it down, so your talking photoreal, 3D game , toon or line art, toon/cel shader is probably the quickest

Graphical story anyone?

10 years ago

Well, here's the story:
http://chooseyourstory.com/story/croco~2dman

I have the main plot created, but you could help at alternate endings (also grammar and spelling). I don't really care what kind of art will it be, choose what you think is the best or at what, like you said 3D, you like. 
Of course, I will fully understand if you won't agree to work on this story, because it has much work to do.

Graphical story anyone?

10 years ago

Thanks for the interest and to those who got in touch, and I look forward to hearing from you Aeon_Spiral at some point

I'm working on what direction to take and a few things I hadn't considered to begin with

Graphical story anyone?

10 years ago

ya still working on it bud lol, trust me Got swamped with crap over the weekend.

Graphical story anyone?

10 years ago

I know the feeling lol,

Graphical story anyone?

10 years ago

I am the leader of a group of Flash game developers and we  kinda lack on the art part. We don't need 3D, but rather something 2D that looks like 3D, or simply 2D.

We're bad at character models and storyline. Check out one of our best games: www.kongregate.com/games/steelshieldgames/legends-of-verakia-1-5

if you're into flashgames and the co-leader of my group accepts, you're in!

But don't expect payment too soon. Unless we win the weekly/monthly flash game contests, there is no way to make a buck out of cheap flash games like ours. (probably ad revenue, but we first need a sponsor for that)