Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Bizarre idea for a forum game

10 years ago
I dunno if this should be posted here... If not, well, i'm sorry, there's nothnig i can do about it now.
In the year I've been missing from CYS, I withnessed a lot of forum games on another websites but one particular kind got my attention and I want to share it with the rest of the world, but since msot websites i'm in are unsuitable, .... I chose CYS, since it has an average visitor base , a friendly community, a friendly interface, a guy with a penguin avatar and a forum dedicated to forum games, out of which some are similar to what I want to do.

What I want to do is some kind of role playing game... but instead of controlling a character, you control a nation! A country, either a medieval one, a futuristic one, an totally inexistent utopia of yours or a strictly historical nation, depending on the setting you want and the rule limitations.

As a country, you have to manage different stuff happening: politics, territorial expansion, warfare, trade, espionage, exploration, and whatnot.
Each player signing up will name his nation and order what to do with his nation, depending on his resources, who he must manage well. After all (or most) players post their orders, I, the Gamemaster, remake the setting of the game ("update" it)(ususally i change the map and i reveal a new set of stats for each nation). For example, if player A orders all his income to be spent on armies, after the "update", he will have as many armies as his income allows. The, with these armies he can do whatever he wants, limtied, aagin, by resources and rules of the game. If he decides to attack player B, he posts the order to attack ( and can add soem role-playing for it, for extra chance of succes) after the next update, his armies will attack player B and the result is decided: if player A has more armies , he wins the abttle. if not, he loses.

These games to be extremely long and even the ruleset tend to be huge...... the last one I tried was a short one and had 14 pages in MS Word with size 12.....

There can be many varioatinos of this. Futuristic games may include galaxies, space stations, and mostly futuristic stuff. medieval games often include a map of the medieval Earth ( or a fantasy map, depending on the creator's desire) , and there can be even city maps for mafia-like games.

Sounds hard, but all you have to do is post orders and wait for the effect, which is sometiems calculated directly or determined by a Random Nubmer Generator, and role-playing (acting as if you are actually the king/ruler/leader of the nation you chose ) is sometimes rewarded.

Eh, waht do you say? Are this king of games fit for CYS' Forum Games thread? if yes, I'll start one right away.

10 years ago

Yeah, this needs Mod Moved into the forum Games section   =)

But yeah, sound interesting - got a link to the rules? PDF or something?

10 years ago

I'd be down

10 years ago

and it's not really bizarre

10 years ago
Berka, I can make them in MS Word, because they are really long and require a truckload of tables.
Or I can simply write the rules in one post ( unless there's a character limit) and use links to imgur for screenshoted tables.
I have one that's 33 Word pages long... don't worry, it's easy to play, it is just choke-full of descriptions.

10 years ago

No one here is probably going to read 33 pages of rules. (most of the people here are kids/teens) at least i wouldn't think. Look at the dawn of worlds page (one of the forum games) If you could summarize like they have the basic needs for each rule and the tables like they have I bet then it wouldnt be an issue the rest could be explained in game or through experience.

Course this is just my opinion. Ive seen some Rp manuals that are over 300 text pages. so

10 years ago

As long as the rules are not over 30-35ish pages I'm usually fine with reading it.

10 years ago

if I remove the useless description, it boils down to 15 pages. With a lot of spaces and formatting and tables.

And it's pretty basic. If you join, you will learn what you can do on the run

You just cant understand it all in one try,(unless many people join and play) because each rules has subrules and each subrule has an exception and each exception has 3-4 rules. Just concentrate on your gameplay style and you'll be fine.

But...since you mentioned the site's visitors are mostly kids... can i include refferences to extreme violence and/or drug use?

10 years ago
yes that would be fine. On my game The End of the Line. I put a message "mature content discretion advised" on it before launching just to be careful.

10 years ago

Depends on what you mean by useless description. If they are examples then I would prefer you keep them.

To your bottom question; considering half of the stories on this site has those kind of stuff and a bit more I would think yes. :)

10 years ago

okay i'll do the last check and post it in ~ 12 hours.

and by useless descriptions i mean flavor texts. Examples are kept.

10 years ago

So like Civilization in a forum?

I'd be up for it. I would need a pdf to really decide though.

Now if you were to base it on Eternal I would join no matter how long the rules were!

10 years ago

yes, like Civilization in a forum.

I'm not sure if you know it already but  the forum that taught me about this type of games is actually... Civilization Fanatics Center......

10 years ago

Would you be able to put a link to the thread or pdf?

10 years ago

I'd rather not. i'm hated there.

And I can only provide you with a .doc file, not a PDF.

I can post it right now but the tables won't display correctly, and they are needed.

Is there a character limit in posts?

10 years ago

make it a google drive document

10 years ago

nah.

I have it as a PDF. What do?

10 years ago

Can't you just put the pdf file link on the page? 

10 years ago

the PDF file is in my computer, it's not on a website.

Point me to a website that hosts PDF files and i'll post the link ad start the game in a few minutes.

10 years ago

10 years ago

Google docs doesn't allow me to post it. it doesn't give me a link. Clicking the uploaded file freezes the browser and refreshes the page but gives me no link. Right clicking also gives me only options to send it by email or to make it so you can edit it..... Google docs is retarded.

10 years ago

dunno if you can see it... but here it is:      http://www.viewdocsonline.com/document/uqn328

10 years ago

I was thinking it would be something a bit more extensive and perhaps LC like?

10 years ago
I didn't wanted you to see the original.
33 pages would have been a nightmare for both me ( converting to pdf, uploading) and to you ( WHEN DOES THIS FILE END!!!!! )

I can make worse. I am writing a betetr version of this one. Got to page 50 and all i need to do now is formatting and spellcheck, and probably add some more stuff.

But anyway, I created an OOC thread for the game, in the Forum Games forum. so any more talk about it goes there .

This should be closed.

10 years ago

Bo actually did something like this before.

But his was effectively research things and take over the world haha.

10 years ago

You DON'T know how much effort I put in this. If I had graphics and some programming skills, i could create a PC game.

The funny thing is that I'm actually playing one with my neighbors. ( around 7 people)

10 years ago

I never said you didn't put effort into it lol.

10 years ago

I like this idea, hopefully I can join. :3