Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello Help with description of the enviromen

3 years ago

Hi  I am new to this kind of game development and game development over all. How much time should I spend on describing a room for example? I know that the story should be short and not to complex to begin with, so i have not  described anything else than sounds and the charactars actons.

3 years ago
Have you ever read a book before? The amount of attention given to imagery and descriptions can vary a lot, but you at least need things that are necessary for the plot, necessary for establishing detail about the character or setting, or that establish future context that the reader will need.

Sometimes just a sentence or two is enough, and in fact if you're asking this question at all and have trouble figuring out what's relevant to your story than this is probably the best way to go so you don't wind up autistically listing the exact width of the window blinds or the pattern on the bedspread.

But really it's all just the same approach as in any story, it's a part of the style and pacing and you just have to use your own judgement on what you emphasize. I'd recommend reading a few of the higher rated storygames to get an idea of different possible approaches.

Just make sure the final product is proofread and edited or none of this will matter though.

3 years ago

Thank you. I really appreciate your advice. It made it easier for me to keep writing and not get suck at the details as I often do. But the first paragraph only felt condescending and unnecessary.

But I think I did the mistake to not take time to play enough storygames to get a feel of how they usual are written, before I started to write my story. During these last day I have mostly played some other storygames and started to rethink my approach.
I also think I will brainstorm for a wile. =D

So again thank you

3 years ago
Feel free to read a number of stories here, especially the top-ranked ones, to see what others have done in this area to give you ideas.

3 years ago

Yeah, I will do that fore awhile. Still don`t know exactly where my story will end, I change my mind to much

3 years ago
Yello~