Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

what's the line between historical and modern?

4 months ago
i'm just wondering what year the cutoff would be where a "modern" story becomes "historical" lol

4 months ago
You should study history and learn. There is a very clear and definitive line and you better not cross it, or else. So study, learn, and get it right.

4 months ago
I think everyone has a clear intuitively felt answer for this, and also it would reveal their age.

4 months ago

The cut off in my history book was Obama becoming prez, so 2009

4 months ago
thanx for actually giving an answer :D

4 months ago
There really is no answer, everything is a part of history and "modern" is subjective. (for some 9/11 was the dividing point for then vs now, for others it will be Covid.) And there's no set rule for either category anyway. If you really need a guideline though, if characters are using cell phones, it's modern.

4 months ago

I think it depends more on the content of the story than on the year. For instance, a story set in the 80s about a family drama could easily slide into the modern category with no issue, assuming 80s technology and culture doesn't feature heavily. A story set in the 80s about an alien invasion will probably be historical, since 80s technology and culture will by nature feature heavily.

A question to ask yourself is "could I set this story in the modern day without making major changes to the plot?" If the answer is no, then your story relies on historical elements and is historical fiction. If yes, it may still be historical fiction depending on how heavily you use the aesthetics of your time period.

Target audience is probably most important. Are you targeting people who like historical stories or people who like modern stories? Someone who wants an English political epic about the aftermath of the battle of hastings won't click on your historical story about the stock market crash of 2008. Even though that's technically a historical story, you'll probably get more people interested in it if you put it in the modern category.

3 months ago
modern history is 2004.or at least for now.think if you had a story in medieval times historical
1900:historical
1950:historical
1990:historical
2000:modern
but then again in 6 years 2010 will be the cutoff line 20 years is a good measure