Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

Where the site is headed...

16 years ago

Me and alexp had 7 o clock scotch at 8 last night and spent time talking about our goals for this website.  Thought maybe you guys would be interested in our decisions. 

We've decided that the website, which has a few very dedicated contributors, will soon be member run.  I've noticed that the games that truly should be featured in each category are also rated the highest in those categories.  Because of this, the plan will be over the course of the next year to feature games that are simply rated the highest - this can be automated.  We want to make it so that one time per month, the highest rated games are featured and points are awarded at that time - of course you will only get the point bonus one time, no matter how often your game is "on and off" the featured list.  I also hope to make it so that the higher your "point" total, the more weighted your rating will be.  In addition, any game that spends 2 straight weeks with a rating of 1, or 4 straight weeks with a rating of 2,  will be automatically deleted.  If a game is deleted in this way, you'll lose 25 points. 

The front page will be up and running by the end of this as well.  Because of this, the 5 games that have the highest rating will be featured on the front page - much like our "top rated stories" category.  Admins will still be moderating, but we want to make moderation by points too - we do plan on increasing the number of points you need to have to get mod powers.  Thoughts?

march

16 years ago

"In addition, any game that spends 2 straight weeks with a rating of 1, or 4 straight weeks with a rating of 2,  will be automatically deleted.  If a game is deleted in this way, you'll lose 25 points."

only 2 weeks for it to get deleted? wow. most games only get played every few months lol. there have been months between my games being played, (which is ok, just making a point). the point is, just one week can doom a good game if people are away from the site for any length of time. could you make it so that its just unpublished? that way, the losers that make a crappy game will have the game taken down. they wont be coming back to the site anyway. so they dont care. also, if a regular member has a game taken down, he/she can improve on it.

nate

16 years ago

also, why not add a set of requirements for a story. for instance, raise the length formula, do not allow a story to be published without having a certain number of pages or certain number of links. then, if their game is still unpublished, have a list of criterion that must be met for them to republish it. just brainstorming here.

nate

16 years ago
yes, i agree with nate on all points, do not "delete" the game, just unpublish it. I hate to think that someone publishes a good game, and because, for maybe some odd reason, members stop logging on for a week, it gets deleted... anyways, i like where this is going, but i hope that you guys (alex, march and choco) still come on the site and dont forget about us lol

16 years ago

nah, we won't forget about ya!   It may not delete the game - just unpublish.  WE'll figure that out.   We will prob change it that a game doesn't get a rating until 5 members rate it.  After that, it will be a time bomb (of 2 weeks) if it has a rating of one until it is gone and points are lost. 

If one of YOU guys gets to that point, I'll be sorely dissapointed.  Anyways, we want to keep the quality fairly good.  We'll also be changing the rating system to things like 1: this game should be deleted, and 8: this game belongs on the front page.  Neato? 

16 years ago
neato.

16 years ago

"If a game is deleted in this way, you'll lose 25 points."

Don't we only get 10 points for publishing a game? If so, then shouldn't we only lose 10?

riley  

16 years ago

Seems like the idea would be to punish people for making crap games just for points

16 years ago
or maybe they thought 25 points were initially handed out...

16 years ago

Woah Woah Woah this is sudden but I like it.

However dont you think if your gonna make it mod-automated you should give us more powers? (Such as point powers) and make moderation as a top point system so like the top three members with the highest points are given mod powers.  (That might have been waht you were saying, but I thought you meant like at a certain point level you get mod points regardless.  Which wouldnt be cool cuz eventually wed have like 50...)

16 years ago
Good ideas, but deleting/unpublishing should only happen after at least 5 ratings. Otherwise a game could go unnoticed, someone could rate it a one, and they'd be screwed. Also, 25 pts is a bit harsh. It should be around 15 or 20.

16 years ago
Well, wasn't there a post about making it 25 points to publish a game instead of 10?  I think it shows up in the Bugs forum sometimes-- you know, that it is only 10 and not 25.

16 years ago
A good idea, but I really hope that you guys won't make the website completely automated, I like the community feel of the website. And I don't think the featured storygame point awards should be automatic, as some featured storygames (ie: Mattias) are worth more than others (ie: Mario Adventure Island). Some good ideas, but don't get rid of the community feel.

16 years ago
You're right Oct. The community should still be able to suggest games, but they shouldn't be rated 4 or less. I've found the only good games are rated 5 or more (ie, the top half of the spectrum)

16 years ago

I agree with the "Community Feel" aspect of the site. I love how the site feels like a big...... little community. The people are incredibly nice, and I would hate for that to leave in any amount................. The site is almost like a second family. Or a club, peer group, friendship group thing. Just long distance.

16 years ago
Well, there goes my chance to ever have a game featured by choice of member........... Booo!

16 years ago

You think of me as second family? aaaawww shux.  lol, I like the community feel to the site too. it's one of the reasons I spend more time on this site than others.

riley

16 years ago

That smiley was a wrong choice. I looked embarresed. lol.

riley

16 years ago
i think mods have enough power as it is right now, jjj, just what needs to be added is the moderating of games like alex has been wanting for awhile. Other than that, why do mods need the ability to give out points???

16 years ago
i did not read that correctly, you are not saying that they are giving out points, my mistake, other than that, my point is cool...

16 years ago

pah!  then what would I have to do!?

march

16 years ago
LoL.  Be the coolest guy on Earth and write more games like "Finals Week"

16 years ago
exactly what i was thinking, jjj! lol

16 years ago
What's 7 oclock scotch? Apparently drinking scotch at 7pm, but is that an expression or something?

16 years ago
I was wonderign that myself!

16 years ago
Maybe it means a lot later but they got so drunk that they thought it was still seven. Once again, maybe that's the meaning of the expression. Personally, I think it is just a Scotch that got drunk at seven.

16 years ago
I dotn think you get drunk with a 7 ocklock scotch.  I think its a social hing just to hang out.  Like 1 or 2 drinks only.