Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Soooooooooooo...

4 years ago

... Where did Order of the Midnight Sun go?

Soooooooooooo...

4 years ago
It disappeared?

I just checked and it did. Damn, I never got to read it.

Soooooooooooo...

4 years ago

3J took all his stories down. He said he didn’t feel they were up to his standards anymore.

Soooooooooooo...

4 years ago

Awh! But I liked that game. >.<

Soooooooooooo...

4 years ago

You did?

All of my stories were written before I was 16 years old. They were mostly linear, mostly fraught with typos / annoying game structures, and were generally poorly written. I think I had some creative ideas -- for my age -- and I think I did a pretty impressive job of prolific writing / disciplined writing for a young person, but ultimately, they were all invariantly embarrassing.

I took them down because they all suffered from massive rating inflation and I saw them as embarrassing to the site. The writing quality has really improved here and my stories shouldn't have occupied spots in the top 100. I wanted those spots to go to more deserving writers and I didn't want someone's first impression of CYS to be The Order of the Midnight Sun. Let's be honest, it's a great title, and I bet a lot of people read it first.

Soooooooooooo...

4 years ago

Yeah, but they were still better than 99% of the other games on the site... And yeah, I think OOTMS was probably the first game that a lot of people on the site read... But reading it made them want to stick around, so you must've done something right! ^_^

Soooooooooooo...

4 years ago

Or, perhaps, we'll see a giant influx of registered users now :)

Thanks for the compliment though -- I appreciate you saying that.

Soooooooooooo...

4 years ago

... Any chance you might tweak the games, make them 10x more awesome and them put them back? ^_^

Soooooooooooo...

4 years ago

That's a really fun thought, and I've toyed with it. I'd really like to and I actually have some ideas for how I'd do it.

Ultimately though, I think that would be a selfish use of my time. It's probably better that I focus on improving the website instead, and I enjoy that too.

Soooooooooooo...

4 years ago

... But what better way to improve the website than making super awesome games for everyone to enjoy? ^_^

Soooooooooooo...

4 years ago

Fixing the advanced editor time-out bug for one. I hate to think of how many words have been eaten by that one.

Soooooooooooo...

4 years ago
Thank you 3J. This will help me and my family greatly. I am just two poor little Indian boys with a tower computer running Windows ME that has a "never obsolete!" sticker on the front of it and an internet connection. Running Microsoft Word crashes my computer, so I have no choice but to write in the editor itself. In all seriousness the time out bug is annoying as all hell and seeing it fixed would allow me to rest easy, because I'd be able to procrastinate all I want with it open without worrying about losing all the riveting words I wrote. Buuuut, back on topic, kinda sucks your stories are gone but it's understandable why you did it. I wrote some embarrassing stories too, and I'm glad they're not floating around anymore. Can't imagine what it must be like to see something you're embarrassed by end up on the top games list though.
EDIT: Since you brought up remaking your storygames earlier... Would like to say that it would be interesting to see Mattias The One Knight remade with a tongue in cheek sense of humor. Some of the lines, like "they will give you a log if you are the chosen one" and "the tower is very high, 40 feet to be exact" (probably misremembering these but still), would fit right at home in a story with a sense of humor like Monty Python and The Holy Grail. After you're done fixing this site that's held together by duct tape, faith, and love, of course :D

Soooooooooooo...

4 years ago

Lmao. I was unintentionally hilarious. I had no idea those quotes existed. Man, I was proud of that game when I originally wrote it. Pretty sure Mattias was a name I was obsessed with as a kid, for some weird reason.

Soooooooooooo...

4 years ago
Considering you wrote it at 12, it's pretty impressive, but at the same time... It was made by a 12 year old. I don't think I need to say anything more about that. Also, I'm pretty sure we all had those names we were obsessed with when we were younger. At least Mattias is relatively cool, for some reason my name I was obsessed with was Albert. Because Albert is totally the coolest name on Earth. /sarcasm