Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Up front, or Later on, or Hints...?

4 years ago

Hey guys im working on a story about a planet being used to televise people lives by everyone else in the galaxy, but no one on that planet knows that they're being televised. The main character is going to be on the planet being televised (if you've seen the Trueman Show, you'll have a better understanding of what Im talking about). Would you rather to already know that you're being televised in the beginning of the story or find out later near the middle or end in the story, or have some hints throughout then drop the bomb in the middle or end? (and if you say hints, be specific or give me an example of what "hints" you would be ok with). If you have other ideas please let me know. 

4 years ago
Definitely make it a revelation the player discovers at the same time as the character. You watch a Jim Carrey movie for reasons different than those you'd read a book for. With a book the whole idea isn't to be entertained by someone else but to get inside the character's head and see the world from their POV. It creates a disconnect having them just oblivious to things that the player knows and makes the story less immersive. It's hard not to get a little irritated at the character as well which just further distances you from them. Hints and foreshadowing or just a few things that seem slightly off until its explained I think would be a nice touch, but they'd depend so much on context as the story unfolds I'd have a hard time giving specific examples.

4 years ago

Much Appreciated, I was a little conflicted on the three ideas, so I'm glad to have gotten some professional input. I'll be making the necessary adjustments.     

4 years ago
TIL Mizal is a professional