Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

What process works best for writing a story game?

3 years ago

This may have already been answered somewhere in the sea of articles and forum posts, so I hope it's alright to ask again. When writing a story game, what kind of process do you usually use? Do you work on all paths at the same time, work on one path at a time, or something different?

I've been writing a new story game for a couple days (it's hidden, so you can't see it yet) and I'm really proud of what I've done so far and excited for the rest, but now I'm getting to the point where the paths start to grow farther apart, so it's hard to make the same progress on all of them when they're so different.

3 years ago
Endmaster has said he basically just writes out one main branch at a time and then goes in and adds any smaller side paths to it. Seems like he's a good person to emulate.

3 years ago
Here is an article that might help you think more about how CYOA stories end up working. There's a link to a nice paths article in there as well. There's also a whole section on writing the CYOA in the help files here on this site.

That said, almost everyone who writes stories writes them in different ways. Indeed, you can search these forums (use the plug-in in mizal's profile page) and you can find lots of discussions about different ways to plan and write this type of story. For many, planning is possible more important than the actual writing, so the story fits together logically.

Have fun!

3 years ago
The plug in just says to use Google for that.