Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Ford's Java Password Protection

9 years ago

I deleted your post Ford, because it was preventing replies to itself.

But you can create a password in-game, using the existing Variables and On-Page Scripting. Just keep in mind that games that people can't play (and finish) have no place on the site - so having a password protected story is sort of a mute point...

9 years ago

@Ford

9 years ago

But a java-based text box like Ford had would still be handy, if possible, for certain types of storygames. Briar's TOR game would become harder and cheat-proofier for example.

And isn't one of 3J's stories also password protected? So they can be published on this site, right?

9 years ago
^Correct. I believe 3J's second "Tower" game is password protected and therefore cannot be played until you have the password.

9 years ago

It is password protected, but with a built in 'opt out of the whole password business if you like' feature. In other words, it is not really password protected.

9 years ago
It was? That's odd... I ended everything with the appropriate syntax. Weird.

The point of a password is to get to different points in the game - not to start the game. It's an option, not a requirement.

If someone saves their progress in a game, then I unpublish to fix something before they finish (unlikely, but I have missed a few bugs before) - they can enter a password to the last checkpoint and get their items and stats back without playing through again.

9 years ago

Interesting idea, sort of like old school video game saves.

9 years ago
That's exactly what I was thinking when I thought about adding a password feature! xD

9 years ago

You could use this when entering competitions so that the judges could see the walkthrough but the players couldn't because otherwise you have to let them have access to the walkthrough, thus letting them cheat.