Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Names.

11 years ago

I was wondering, has anyone on this site had customizable names? I was thinking of doing something like:

%%LETTER1%=%1%A%%%%LETTER1%=%2%B%%%%LETTER1%=%3%C%%%%LETTER1%=%4%D%%%%LETTER1%=%5%E%%...etc.

And copy-pasting that (doing the whole thing for LETTER1-LETTER12) everywhere the name comes in. Although this would look like a carcrash for someone viewing this through the editor, it should work, right?

Names.

11 years ago

That would be so cool in aplication, but yeah very bulky to write! What we need is Text Variables.

Names.

11 years ago
That would work :)

Names.

11 years ago

It would be quite annoying for the player, having to choose each letter in the name, though. And what about if someone wants a name with only 7 letters? Honestly, I don't think it's worth the hassle for a name, which to me isn't all that important, but that's up to you.

Names.

11 years ago

Actually, the variables don't have anything if they're 0 (you could choose to end writing your name at any point in the name creation process), so there won't be a large gap behind names that are only four letters, and I was thinking that for both males and females, there would be generic names people could choose, so they could just choose that without having to go through the name creation process. Also, is it any more of a hassle for the player than the character creation process in Mommy? I didn't find that tedious, so I don't see why this should be.

Names.

11 years ago

I suppose if the name is somehow important, the way the stats in Mommy are, but in most stories it isn't. If your story involves meeting a numerologist or something, which depends on the name you choose, then I see the point of making an extensive naming process, but otherwise I don't really get it, but maybe that's just me.

Names.

11 years ago

As I said, there are alternatives for those that don't want to spend the time clicking each letter. Also, assuming that the internet connection isn't crappy, that shouldn't really be that time consuming. A few seconds at best.

Names.

11 years ago
I don't agree with you. Although choosing a name wouldn't usually add much to a story, I don't see how it could detract from a story with the right framework for it.