Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

No cheating script?

10 years ago
Would it be a good idea to block the "Go Back" button, Context Menu, Select, and any other ways of cheating in a game? I tested it, so it's possible, but I don't know how essential the "Go Back" button is to people playing the game.

OR it could be a better idea to block the "Go Back" button on specific pages, so the reader can't cheat or go back further than I want. I'm not going to block the Restart button, that would seem too unfair of me (though if I tell people the code, it may create troll stories which block all links, graphics, and actions [actions = clicking, dragging, selecting, so there would be no way to get through the story]).

No cheating script?

10 years ago

Never.

If they want to go back let them. 

No cheating script?

10 years ago

If you disable the back button, your game will be unpublished. The back button is a sacred right of readers and anyone who disables it for even one page will have their game unpublished. No tolerance.

No cheating script?

10 years ago

They can also just press delete in some browsers, so it doesn't work very well. This has been tried before, if you want to publish the story, publish it on another site.

No cheating script?

10 years ago
Ok.. I'll be sure never to disable the back button. I didn't think it was very important o-o

No cheating script?

10 years ago

It's not really possible to disable it.

ALT + Left Key Arrow Pad. 

No cheating script?

10 years ago
Um, yes it is. html.

No cheating script?

10 years ago

[Backspace] or abuse the save system. You can't really block it and if you did people would be pissed at you and hate your story for it.