Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Music while studying

9 years ago

While pulling yet another all-nighter while desperately trying to finish a six-page paper I've been putting off until the very last moment, I realised that I usually listen to the same music everything I study. This is mostly classical music like the 1812 Overture (Tchaikowsky), Four Seasons (Vivaldi), etc.

What music do you guys usually listen to while making homework, studying, etc.?

(And yes, me writing this is a form of procrastination...)

Music while studying

9 years ago

With no words music can help 'distract' you from other things but make sure to focus on the homework.

With words it won't help at all. 

At least that's what I believe.

Music while studying

9 years ago

Okay, Pachabel's canon in D. Otherwise, Metallica or Coldplay. Don't ask me why. They just help stimulate my thought process.

Music while studying

9 years ago

I would usually put on classical music when I do homework/study, but I am led to believe that listening to music actually decreases you're ability to retain information when studying since it divides part of your attention to listening to music (even if you're trying to ignore it).

Music while studying

9 years ago

Either that or it helps to stimulate your brain.

Music while studying

9 years ago

As I said above, it does actually distract you from your work but it also distracts you from any other minor sound-based distractions.

Music while studying

9 years ago

Actually it helps with auditory memory retention. You know how there are memory techniques that one can use to improve their ability to memorize certain things? Such as a "mind palace" (Using the human brain's well-developed spatial memory to create a mental landscape where you can metaphysically find the information you are looking for).

This can be duplicated with auditory memory, it's shown that people can play entire songs so vividly within their minds that their brains will react in exactly the same way that they do when listening to said music. Associating songs with your studying can help to remember the studied subjects.

Music while studying

9 years ago

Mind palaces just make me think of Hannibal.

Music while studying

9 years ago

Lector?

Music while studying

9 years ago

Hmmm, I know them from 'Sherlock'.

Music while studying

9 years ago

Yeah, Sherlock mentions them too. First place I remember reading about one was Hannibal Lecter's.

Music while studying

9 years ago

Beck's "I'm a Loser" has always pulled me through the worst of math homework.

Music while studying

9 years ago

Sometimes I listen to some Red-Hot Chilli Peppers, sometimes Arctic Monkeys, and sometimes I listen to Nocturne (Chopin).

Four seasons is nice but I feel it gets repetitive (with only Summer really flashing out).

Music while studying

9 years ago
Liebestraum No. 3 in A-Flat Major, Op. 62: "O Lieb So Lang' Du Lieben Kannst"

Tois Gymnopedies: Gymnopedie No. 1 (Lent et Douloureux)

Suite Bergamasque No. 3, L 75: Clair De Lune

mostly classical music, but if I'm in the zone, anything with a nice beat works well.

Music while studying

9 years ago

Ludovico - Experience (and the Starkey Remix if you're into that stuff)

Joe Hisaishi - Sixth Station (Alternate Version if you like harmonies more)

by that dude who made the Sherlock Movies soundstracks - Journey OST (THE ENTIRE THING)

C418 - The Weirdest Year of Your Life (Don't mind the fucking title)

Music while studying

9 years ago

Don't ask me why, but Empire by Queesnryche

Music while studying

9 years ago

Dubstep.

Words are for the weak.

WUB WUB WUB.

Mostly 8-bit dubstep.