Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

What do you think of my story idea?.

9 years ago

So I have been working on my new story shark attack.

and I think its coming along good.

Tell me what you think of the idea.smiley

@Ford

@Danaos

9 years ago

Didn't realize I was tagged in this. I don't know what to think since I don't know anything about it...at all.

9 years ago

It has a shark in it... I guess that's supposed to be enough information for you to have an informed opinion cheeky

9 years ago

Its a shark horror.

9 years ago

So it's jaws?

9 years ago

Little bit.

9 years ago

I honestly don't know what to say. Do you have a plot for the story? Is it a survival? Is there a dumb blonde that get everyone killed?

9 years ago

It is a advanced shark horror survival.

9 years ago

Yes...and? cool

9 years ago

And she's mousepaw. 

9 years ago
I didn't get the tag notification either... I'm glad I didn't. Via the Guide 2.0's calculations, the story is 90% likely to displease me - the other 10% is the probability of time between when I had my last Gargle Blaster and when I begin reading the storygame.

9 years ago

What is this guide that leads you to these calculations?

9 years ago
Heathen! You've never read The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy?!

9 years ago

I...I've never even heard of it. And based on the title, I don't see how it applies to this situation.

9 years ago
You asked what guide - my answer is the Hitch Hiker's Guide 2.0 - go read the damn book series before you die with an unfulfilled life! o_o

9 years ago

Just Googled it. The cover looks like Doctor Who vomited space residue on a plate, streched out it's molecular structure, atomized it, painted it, then sent it back in time via a radio.

9 years ago
Oh never mind, I didn't think you were the type of person to judge a book by it's cover...maybe you shouldn't read it. Perhaps it's too well written for you to understand - after all, it's not a picture book.

9 years ago

I was actually judging it by the plot summary. It seems like a lot of things are happening at one time crammed into 180 pages. Maybe it was because I read it on Wiki, but the summary alone made me make that "Da Fuck?" face. Also, is this where you got your username?

EDIT: Deep Thought! I remember watching something based of off how he is described. Now it makes slightly more sense.

9 years ago
180 pages? OOOHHH you're looking at the first book! xD it's a 6 book trilogy. Originally 5 until Eoin Colfer picked it up in place of Douglas Adams since the ending of the fifth wasn't...spectacular, but it wasn't horrible either. There's a lot to explain in the first book, it's like a prologue but after that the story pans out and is amazing :D

Of course it's where I got my username :P I've never read a better book series (haven't read very many, I don't like reading...or writing...the irony.)

9 years ago

That certainly makes the story seem less ridiculous. I was worried it would be only those 180 pages of chaotic nonsense, you've seen books and movies like that I'm sure.

9 years ago
Yea where they try to fit years of plot and storyline into a teeny tiny little space. On the other hand, it's not as long as Harry Potter or Game of Thrones o-o those are massive works that I'll never read in my life ever, where everything is extended and the sub-plots go on for ages.

9 years ago

Wait... There's a sixth one? Must read it! Is it any good? The books kinda stopped being funny after the third one.

9 years ago
It's much better than the fifth book :P the title is "And Another Thing" by Eoin Colfer. So far it's pretty funny, made me giggle a bit. It's much more funny with the banter and witty conversations than the fourth and fifth book. It also has a few comedic side-stories - so I'd say overall, it's a very good book :D

9 years ago

Dude first of all im a boy second of all I am not mousepaw if I was my grammar would have failed long before this.

9 years ago

Ford never said you were a girl...

9 years ago

I was talking to the other guy.frown

9 years ago

I'm confused on nmlessx's gender. Why did you reply to Ford's comment?

9 years ago

Cause I wanted too. :|

9 years ago
"Sharky is totally a girl" -Ford P. June 2014

9 years ago

You might never find out. :P

9 years ago

You JUST said you are a boy.

9 years ago
I laughed xD

9 years ago

"story shark attack"

That doesn't really tell us anything about it...How are we to give you an opinion over a 3 word summary :D

9 years ago

I read his story, and he's not even done with the first page...

9 years ago

It is a working progress I am making all the pages for chapter one then adding in links and details.

9 years ago

You said it's coming along well... it's literally one page with a sentence and one item.

9 years ago

Then why did you ask us for opinions :D

I would get a clear idea of what you want to do first. Make a draft or something.

9 years ago

I meant of what you think about how it sounds or how you think it will turn out. or give me ideas.:|

9 years ago

But...anything can happen in a shark attack story....

Personally I am not a fan of the idea. I do not know how it will turn out as you have not gave me any information.

Ideas....I can give you advice. Spend a lot of time on it, don't rush your story.

9 years ago

Is a Shark tornado a valid idea? 

9 years ago

I don't know.frown

9 years ago

You said give you ideas.

What about a shark made out of pie? How about a guy goes to throw dynamite to kill the shark and it ends up hitting him in the head instead before blowing up? What about a whole cruise ship being eaten by a giant shark? 

9 years ago

Do you have a plot summary? Yes or no. No one, and I mean no one can give you any ideas/advice on a story they know nothing about. It's about sharks, we get that. What else? What is happening in your story? It is a really bad sign of not being able to give a plot summary of your own story.

9 years ago

Okay here is what i've come up with so far: You are swimming/surfing and you see ten sharks you can surf away and then it will take you to where a lemon shark is chasing you and you can use the surf bored once again or hit it with a spear and im using pictures so there might be a bit of gore in a few pictures when you die/fail. maybe a picture of a blonde being eaten by a shark is bad?

9 years ago

First tell me what the basic plot of the story is.

9 years ago

Your favorite spot at the beach is infested with sharks. you could be eaten... or survive...

9 years ago

Is that really all you have for the plot of the story? You want to at least capture your audience with your plot summary and the one you just gave is...well boring.

9 years ago

I am working on it. don't judge till its done.

9 years ago

He is trying to help you.

9 years ago

I'm not seeing what he is saying that would help me.  :/

9 years ago

He is giving you criticism, if you can't take that then you have already failed. He is trying to tell you that you need to put more effort into your plot, make it more detailed.

9 years ago

I'm judging because you can't give a simple plot. Look at some good and bad storygames on this site. Authors of bad stories are generally unable to give a decent plot of the story. This is the first sign of a bad story and I really wish some were left over from the Purge to show a good example of a bad story. Authors of good stories can actually give you a good plot that will give you an idea of what the story will have. Your two sentence plot summary will just make readers go, "Is that it?".

If the only thing you can say about your own story is, "There is a shark attack and you have to survive." then you should know that giving any decent advice is impossible. When you make your plot, you should set the scene, give us a visual, and an idea of what will happen.

Here is an example that I'm taking from The Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost

You are 10 years old when you first feel the weight of shackles around your wrists. In a matter of hours, your whole world is turned upside down as you are dragged away from your home in Greece to work as a slave in the Roman Empire.
Now you must struggle for survival. Every decision you make will affect your future. Will you make friends or enemies? Will you submit to your masters or fight your every command? Will you sell your soul to earn your freedom, or sacrifice everything for the people you love? Will you even survive long enough to see the sun rise?

This states what the story will be about, sets the scene, and gives me a visual of the story. You don't have to go super into detail, but give enough information that satisfies those three points I made.

9 years ago

That isn't a good description. I suggest actually getting a basic plot down before you do anything and then make it more descriptive.

9 years ago

I just said one...

9 years ago

Not really.....

9 years ago

Okay, you seem to have a difficult time understanding what a plot is. I'll give you an example:

The story is called Ultimate Shark Attack of Death and Doom and Stuff

The main character is a pro-surfer called Zac Archer. He's on holiday on a desert island with a small group of his friends. They spend their time swimming, surfing and scuba diving and having loads of fun... Until one of Zac's friends gets eaten by a shark. A group of massive sharks surround the island so the ocean isn't safe anymore. There's a river that you can use for water, but you soon find out a group of smaller sharks have infested the river, so you can't get fresh water anymore. You can either wait for somebody to come and rescue you or try to escape on a small motor boat. The basic goal is for Zac to survive and save as many of his friends as possible.

... And there's a plot summary for a shark attack story. Feel free to use it if you can't think of anything. cheeky

9 years ago

Dang it Briar, I wanted him to reach this point himself. My teachings...my knowledge...for naught. crying

9 years ago

Tehehe... Well in my defense, his first 3 attempts of explaining the plot consisted of "It's got sharks in it." cheeky

9 years ago

I thought the point was to play as a shark and eat said annoying surfers.

Anyway, I'm reminded of this:

photo shark_zps35db0b22.jpg

9 years ago

Lol! I was reminded of this:

Your idea's better. cheeky

9 years ago

Amazing ideas guys I might use some of them!.