Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Good Manga

9 years ago

I am looking for a good, free manga that is available online. I have already read:

• Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Stray Dog (a one-shot, by Hiromu Arakawa)
  • Biomeat: Nectar
  • Monster (well, I started it, but to be honest, I kinda lost interest after a while)
  • Darker than Black (It sucked and was obviously based off of an anime...that I currently have no access to)
  • Parts of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I would like to read the whole thing, but I can't find it online and I can only find certain volumes at the local library.

Any suggestions will be taken into account. I just don't want anything illegal or involving tentacle rape. Thank you very much.

Good Manga

9 years ago

@jamescoker1226 Hey James, sorry I didn't see this until today.   (Shoot, I have my currently-reading list at home.)

What do you like?  Mystery, action, scifantasy, slice-of-life, horror?

How much description do you want for the series?  Would you prefer just titles and you can check it out for yourself?

Liar Game, Detective Conan, Yotsuba&!, Deadman Wonderland, Tower of God, Death Note, Bakuman, Ghost Hunt, Mirai Nikki (aka Future Diary) @Drakoblare you'd prolly like this one, Saiyuki, Pet Shop of Horrors, Blue Exorcist, Black Butler, Claymore, Fairy Tail, Flame of Recca, Viking Saga, Natsume's Book of Friends, Pandora Hearts, Spice and Wolf

Good Manga

9 years ago

Mirai Nikki was awesome.

So was Death Note.

Couldn't stand Fairy Tale.

Good Manga

9 years ago

I'm trying to give him a wide variety, since I don't know what genres he likes.

Swift's right, Parasyte was awesome.

Good Manga

9 years ago

@Tanstaafl did you read Mirai Nikki Paradox?  It's mostly about how much better the story would have been if Akise had been the protagonist instead of Yukiteru.

Good Manga

9 years ago

Saiyuki or Mirai niki? I've tried to see Mirai Niki but stop in 5 minutes. Dunno why

Good Manga

9 years ago

@Drakoblare idk if you'd like Saiyuki.  Mirai Nikki fits the "killing each other til only one is left" genre. 

Good Manga

9 years ago

One Piece, Bleach, Fairy Tail.  

Good Manga

9 years ago

You're reading some very...mediocre mangas.

What you NEED to read is.

• Parasyte

and what you need to watch are :

• Clannad
  • Ghost in the Shell (both SaC and 2nd Gig)

Good Manga

9 years ago

Judging by what you've already read, I'm not sure if this would be your cup of tea but I really enjoyed reading Full Moon o Sagashite. Oh, the feels... just don't watch the anime. It's nowhere as good as the manga.

Good Manga

9 years ago

Ah, another person who thinks the Full Moon anime sucked in comparison to the manga. Good to see. Yeah, I read the entirety of Full Moon several years ago after my brother recommended it.

For those who can enjoy the "magical girl genre" without feeling awkward, it's good and ... surprisingly dark for something that initially comes off as cutesy. I mean, touching on the inevitability of death, multiple--spoiler alert--teen suicides, cancer, bloodlust inducing jealousy / rage, exc.

Good Manga

9 years ago

To be fair, the fact that the anime exists means we at least get to find out what the songs sounded link.

I enjoyed both versions of 'Eternal Snow' even if I hated how they adapted the anime and dumbed it down.

Good Manga

9 years ago

Missed this. I'm not saying the anime is bad. I'm saying it's bad in comparsion.

Good Manga

9 years ago

I'm not sure if someone who seems to read primarily shounen and seinen would enjoy Full Moon. That being said, I agree that it was a very good manga that broke both a lot of genre cliches.

Some suggestions:

Seconding ALL of Sethaniel's recommendations, and adding the following manga titles:

• Akame ga Kill!, for brilliant action scenes and gut-wrenching plot twists
  • Tokyo Kushu, for putting a really interesting new spin on a the vampire/zombie genre
  • Silver Spoon, also by Hiromu Arakawa, though it's in a very different genre from FMA and Stray Dog
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, horror genre, lots of mindscrew, lots of HOLY #*@&! moments, and surprisingly, lots of heartwarming friendship moments.
  • Ubel Blatt, mature dark fantasy genre, with an excellent plot that deconstructs your cliche heroic quest.

That's all the titles I can think of off the top of my head that haven't been listed yet that roughly fit the same genres as the mangas in your original post.

Other random titles you might enjoy: Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, Berserk, Black Lagoon, Blood Lad, Btooom The Devil is a Part-Timer, Gunka no Baltzar, Hellsing, Kekkaishi, Kingdom, Magi: Labyrinth of Magic, Maoyu Maou Yuusha, Nanatsu no Taizai, Psyren, Soul Eater, Shoukoku no Altair, Trigun

Good Manga

9 years ago

How could I forget Maoyu?  D:

Have you read Parasyte and Devilman?

Good Manga

9 years ago

I'm sure we're still forgetting at least a dozen or more that really should be recommended at every chance.

Yes and yes. Two mangas that desperately deserve more love.

Good Manga

9 years ago

I was going to put Higurashi, but the manga is tough to figure out what order to read them in.  On most of the free sites they put every different arc as its own separate series!

I've heard a lot of good things about Silver Spoon.

Good Manga

9 years ago

Hey, guys. I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but I'd honestly forgottn about it. Thank you, Seth, for all the recommendations.

Good Manga

9 years ago

Hey James, so what kind of manga do you like, anyway?

Good Manga

9 years ago

I don't really have a favorite kind. I can run with fantasy, sci fi, and modern psychological the best, though. Also, it should be creative and have a lot of plot twists, or, at least, one really good twist.

Good Manga

9 years ago

Let me give you a few more:

Suicide Island

I am a Hero

Good Manga

9 years ago

Okay, thanks, I guess.

What Manga?

9 years ago

Trying to remember the name of one I read several years ago.  It's completed.

Kids trapped in a school, they all had some kind of supernatural power, (yeah I know, lots of those)

Main kid could see the future when he fell asleep? Later on it turned out he couldn't really see the future,, he was actually telepathic, and the female lead was the real precog.

Eventually they had to wrap up the school arc and go outside, and that's when it went downhill.  They were on a train?  And it got canceled shortly after that.

Another good "school powers" themed one is Aphorism.  Tons of plot twists.

What Manga?

9 years ago

Hmm...might look into that one.

What Manga?

9 years ago

Hey, part of this thread just disappeared. What happened?

What Manga?

9 years ago

I moved it into its own thread, because discussing it was derailing your thread requesting manga recommendations.

What Manga?

9 years ago

Oh, alright. Sorry.

What Manga?

9 years ago

Found it!!!  It's called "Enigma"

Googled "school manga horror mystery train future telepath"

#1 result

Damn, you're good, google.

What Manga?

9 years ago

I can't believe that worked. XD

Although those were some pretty unique search terms. Helps us regain some perspective on just how weird anime settings can get - we're just so used to them that we don't bat an eye anymore.

Good Manga

9 years ago

I'm currently reading Death Note, I definitely recommend it... I also like Library Wars: Love and War and Fairy Tail.

Hope I helped! cool

Good Manga

9 years ago

Although many people recommended some good manga, I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Berserk (strongly recommend this dark fantasy, but be prepared for gore, blood and the occasional rape: because it's seinen).

Good Manga

9 years ago

Okay, thank you very much.

Good Manga

9 years ago

I listed it in my massive paragraph of mangas he might enjoy, lol.

It's IS a great manga, and deserves more attention. The anime probably has the most depressing ending ever though, considering where it stops, haha.

Good Manga

9 years ago

Haha, yeah. One of my friends had no idea it was a manga, too, and he was pissed at the ending.  "I spent a month watching this, and that's how it ends?!!!"

Good Manga

9 years ago

I felt the same about the black butler anime, especially when I thought Season 1 was all.

Good Manga

9 years ago

No!  James you are wrong.  There is only ONE SEASON of the black butler anime. 

Actually, there is only the manga.