Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Category help, please?

7 years ago

Okay... So I'm working on a storygame. It involves a zombie apocalypse at school, basically, so yeah. What I'm wondering is, what category would this fit into? School, Modern Adventure, or something else entirely?

Category help, please?

7 years ago

Horror. Zombies are horror.

Category help, please?

7 years ago

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. Thank you!

Category help, please?

7 years ago

Not necessarily. It depends on how much focus you put into the violence, gore, descriptions etc. When I was in the early stages of my zombie story, I made it as a modern adventure. Then I decided to add more horrific moments in it, then I decided to change it.

Really depends on the tone of your story. But I guess either could work.

Category help, please?

7 years ago

^Roughly what I would've said.

Category help, please?

7 years ago

I wasn't intending to make it super gory, so I wasn't sure.

Category help, please?

7 years ago

It really depends on what feature you focus most on. If you spend lots of time talking about the zombies, go with horror. If you want to focus on the fact that it's at a school and not in a graveyard, go with modern adventure. I think that the only way it could be school is if you spent a lot of the storygame talking about the classes and such. 

EDIT: I now see that I just basically copied a previous response. Whoops.

Category help, please?

7 years ago

I've never understood the point of the school-based category. Like, at all.

Category help, please?

7 years ago

Most of the time they can just fit into modern adventure, but I can see why there might be a category for storygames that are based around a semester/exam/academic year/whatever.

Category help, please?

7 years ago

From what I understand school category is sort of a left over artifact from when Alex and the rest first created the site. There were a lot more stories based around their school or people writing stories relating to school.

I actually thought about putting Repression in the school category at one time since 90% of takes place in a school, but ultimately I didn't think the school setting was the main theme so I put it in Modern Adventure. (Thought about putting it in horror as well)

Category help, please?

7 years ago

Right, Modern Adventure seems like the better catch all there. Or Romance, or Horror, or whatever else. A school may be a setting, but presumably the story is going to be about something besides the fact that there's a school, and the characters are attending it.

At the moment the School category mostly seems to exist for people writing edutainment games for class projects to get confused by.

Category help, please?

7 years ago
Others have given great suggestions.

In the end, category is not critical, but the writing is.

Category help, please?

7 years ago

Well, to not copy others...

...just pick the one you think it'd fit best in.

Category help, please?

7 years ago

If you ever get stuck on what category/difficulty/maturity rating to give a storygame, you could always leave it blank, then when it's almost finished and nearing being published, you could post a link on the forums and ask people what they think would fit it best.