Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

Just watched the movie. It was great. Deadshot and Harley are the best. Somewhat better than Civil War IMO. Definitely worth watching.

Thoughts on this movie?

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

The internet seems to hate it. Haven't checked it out myself.

Is Killer Croc any good in it? It's his first live-action appearance and I'm really hoping they didn't muck up his character.

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

Killer Croc acts like a stereotypical black gangsta, and makes jokes about the B.E.T. awards. 

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

That's... weird. As far as I know, Waylon Jones is caucasian. His abusive aunt certainly was when they showed her in his origin story in his first appearance.

Maybe they retconned it or something.

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

Waylon's been all kinds of colors. He was an African American police officer in one of the Animated Series before Joker Venom somehow made him into Killer Croc, IIRC. He's been voiced by a lot of Black guys and White guys, I don't think there's a canonical consensus, it might vary depending on what you read.

... I also used to think Deadpool was African American, though, so I'm not a reliable source.

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

What Malk said. Killer Croc is like Amy from Sonic, except instead of "This is what the autistic fanfic writers at Team Sonic thinks girls sound like" his personality is "This is what writers who were paid thousands of dollars to read the wikipedia articles of characters and shit out a script no matter what it looked like think a Blackmun sounds like". Much like Franklin Clinton, except that's something you expect from the GTA series.

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

Mediocre, at best. Killer Croc was nothing but a racial stereotype, Will Smith was Will Smith sort of trying to be Deadshot and the villain made no goddamn sense. Not to mention the weird ass Egyptian dancing. 

I also  feel like the movie was trying to emulate Guardians, but lacked the wit.  Right down to the over use of classic songs. 

This was a terrible movie about supervillains. Why would Captain Boomerang go back? He's a selfish thief. Why would Deadshot spare Harley? Why would any of them try to save the world, once the bombs were out? Even the good-guy American soldier acts contrary to his character; he's totally cool with non-combatants being shot in the head. "The boss is a cranky lady, lol guys." 

Also, they blew the opportunity to have Captain Boomerang riding a unicorn in his "greatest desire" scene. 

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

I just can’t believe that DC is still seriously using a villain called Captain fucking Boomerang in anything more than just a joke character in the first place.

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

Captain boomerang is badass. Certainly easier to take seriously than Superman, with the right creative team behind him, but maybe I hate Superman too much to be a reliable source of seriousness.

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

Agreed. Captain Boomerang is awesome.

Besides, he's more commonly associated as a Flash villain anyways, and Flash has the silliest villains so it fits why Captain Boomerang would have a boomerang theme, even if he does pull it off like a badass.

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

I guess I'm the only one who likes it here. At least it's still way better than BvS, which was disappointing.

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

Harley Quinn is cheekily evil, meaning that her character has to walk a very fine line between entertainingly and obnoxious. She has to be able to annoy other characters without annoying the audience... Some writers play it safe, and opt to make her plain badass all the time, ignoring the cheekier aspects of her personality. Other writers, who've read wikipedia articles and think they're experts, like, say, the monsters that shat out Batman vs. Superman, prefer to think they can write anything they've heard about and go full obnoxious without considering the fact that it's their job to bring life to a character, not the name on the script. So the only character recognizable at a glance was one that I ended up hating.

The characters looked more like the Rainbow Six than supervillains working for parole. I mean, I guess it's alright that everyone's in plain clothes and shit, but seriously, every character has their own very specific design and self-branding, you should be able to pick them out as a glance. Had I never been told who the characters were going to be, I would've picked out Harley, Deadshot, and maybe Katana if I could wrap my head around why the girl I've only seen briefly in some corners of the JL universe is suddenly rolling with these motherfuckers. That's right, if I wasn't told Killer Croc was in this fucking movie, I wouldn't have seen him.

That's another point. When A GIANT FUCKING ALLIGATORMUN is difficult to pick out at a glance, you have fucking problems with your fucking design choices. He looks like a naked ninja turtle, or a generic burned-face man. He could've been Bane, judging from the fact that newer designs seem to be giving him less and less of a mask with each iteration. (Cyberpunk-libre gasmask thing, to Balaclava with paint on, to crabmouth thing with a little strap for your head, and now just a burnt face with pipes probably attached to somewhere. Seems like a natural enough progression.) Hell, the Dark Souls protagonist could've shanked some up and coming rap star and took his clothes to blend in with society. I mean, look at him, I honestly believe that's what happened! I bet you could make that exact face in the Dark Souls character thingy and nobody would be able to tell, honestly. Maybe they wouldn't have this kind of problem if they weren't opposed to colors that aren't gray and brown, but DC these days is far too edgy for that kinda shit.

Jared Jay was pretty good. A very well executed version of something that wasn't set up as well as it could be. He had an amazing presence and was in-character as fuck, but something about it just felt empty, and I'm not sure why... Maybe it was because he was dressed more like Killer Croc than Killer Croc, but maybe that's just contributing to it. He was a cringy spastic power rangers villain, but I want to feel like the part of this movie I enjoyed the most was actually for a good reason, because I was kinda rooting for it up till now...

As an action movie, it's fine, it's fun to watch most of the time, but Harley is annoying, and there's other frustrating things about it. Just... This actress, and the writers behind her, managed to make this character more obnoxious than a voice actress using a high squeaky voice and a vaudeville accent during that character's debut as a sidekick. Granted, the first Harley was well executed and not annoying, but christ, these guys had all the time and resources, creative liberties up the ass, and they still managed to fuck it up, despite having so many more things going for them than their predecessors. Not in a way that makes a bad movie, but definitely in a way that makes you cringe at the amount of effort they put into some things that failed utterly, and feel sad at the end that it wasn't above-average.

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

I'd just like to bring up that Killer Croc's design is almost identical to his design in the comics, prior to the Knightfall arc which led to further mutation due to Bane breaking his arm.

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

The changes they made fucked it up, and they were WAY bigger than any. I know Killer Croc is just a big dude with scales, but you always notice him because he's green and plated. There's a very big difference between Movie Croc and Comic Croc, and that is that one design works and the other doesn't. Comic Croc was designed to stand out from the background and other characters. In Gotham's dark blue and black color scheme, you could pick him out because he was distinctly green, and his scales were big and reptile-looking. Movie Croc is 50 shades of brown, much like everything else in the movie, which seems to have been put through a 300 filter under the illusion that this was automatically cool. So not only does he sink into the background, his scales are tiny, so he looks less like a lizard and more like a burn victim, which could be any number of supervillains, much like the designs of CB and Skullface Flameypants.

Suicide Squad

7 years ago
Biggest issue is they made a movie with a large cast without first giving most of said cast members their own movie. Avengers worked because we already knew who everyone was from the start.

Instead we had to waste a lot of time with early character development, leading to only a couple of the characters being truly relevant.

Scale also felt weird. In a world where the flash and batman exist, I have a hard time believing only these villains could be used to hunt down people capable of destroying the world. They seem more like they would be used to stop smaller time villains, like a plot of the joker himself or something.

I enjoyed it, but I wasn't overly excited by the end of it.

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

Saw it with my friends, and personally I'm torn between all the hate on the internet about it and loving it...

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

It's decent, but a few plot elements don't exactly make sense.

Suicide Squad

7 years ago

It was everything I wanted it to be. Establish what villains the JLA members have been fighting before Justice League happens, introduce new elements into this universe (magic) and be an entertaining romp of people that don't get together until they have to combine their forces to save the world.

I just think any DC movie that doesn't have Superman in it is just filler, but this was a very entertaining filler.