Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Writing help.

7 years ago

How do I show in my writing that the world is absent of most colors? In my story, the only things that have color are organs, blood, and the skin color/fur color of any animals you'd find on earth. The grass, trees, fruit, dirt, and even sunlight are all shades of grey. 

I'm finding difficulty expressing this in my story.

Writing help.

7 years ago

You really only have to mention how gray the world is once in the beginning and then anything with any color gets a little extra detail as needed for the story.

Writing help.

7 years ago

That's what I've been doing. Didn't realize I was doing something right for once, haha.

Writing help.

7 years ago

I agree with End, but I think it would be really cool if at some point during the story, you create a subtle situation where the lack of color impacts the plot somehow. Maybe a situation where a color in real life might have tipped someone off to some danger or event, but they don't notice in your world.

Writing help.

7 years ago

Good idea, but I don't see what color would alert them to danger. People, animals, and anything to do with viscera have color. So, blood is still red. Cows are still white, brown, and black. Humans are still beige. But, plants, soil, the sun, and the sky are all various colors of grey, black, or white. A cave with blood leading into it will still highlight the red.

I guess lava would be grey. Maybe I can do something with that.

Writing help.

7 years ago
Fire, stop signs, electricity, heat (red-hot anything).