Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Scourge

5 years ago

Been working on a fantasy story the past few weeks.  I'm currently a little over 10,000 words out of 75,000.  

Essentially I'm about to wrap up the prologue (which will be a bit longer than I intended) and start getting into the meat of the story.  

Scourge

5 years ago
10k is pretty good. Is this a CYOA or a novel?

What's the plot?

Scourge

5 years ago

It's a CYOA of course! It's sort of like a backstory to those CC Tumble stories I wrote a while ago. 

Essentially the plot follows Tumble as he grows up in the world of orcs, with the threat of the Mannate Empire (humans) looming over them.  Their crusades against the orcs come to an end, but then Scourge and his otherworldly forces show up and wreak some havoc on the Empire. 

And not to give too much away but Tumble kind of gets swept up in the middle of it, and pretty much has to decide whether he'll play the role fate has dealt him or try to get away from it all.  It's either help the Empire that has swallowed up his life and defeat Scourge, or leave the Empire to go to waste, and the rest of the world with it.    

Scourge

5 years ago

Scourge

5 years ago

Very insightful lol

Scourge

5 years ago

Sounds great! Awesome major choice. Will be fun to read both sides of that. :-)

Scourge

5 years ago
This sounds pretty epic.

I generally do not encourage people to attempt epic things for their first game, but if you've already got a word count you're aiming for I take it that means you've put thought into the details of the plot and the actual specific choices involved.

Scourge

5 years ago

I really don't like the name. Tumble's a terrible Orc name. It's not cool, or badass, or anything. It sounds like something that you name a kitten that constantly falls over. I'd really consider changing it.

Scourge

5 years ago
The orc might identify as a female halfling rogue, in which case the name would be fine. You should be more open minded.

Scourge

5 years ago
Well, unless Tumble the orc is an orc that constantly falls over. I think it works great if Tumble is more of a klutz and not really orc material.

Scourge

5 years ago

I mean it's technically just his nickname, his real name is shown a couple times throughout so far.  In any case I'm sticking with it.

Scourge

5 years ago

I feel what I said applies even moreso if it's his nickname, as any Orc would beat someone to death for calling him Tumble or would've been murdered in his childhood, but your call.

Scourge

5 years ago
Is there a legitimate reason to nickname someone that other than them being an awkward spaz who trips over everything?

Scourge

5 years ago

Heretofore, he has been tossed about by fate, but…. No more!

Scourge

5 years ago

Plus, he can execute an evasive roll as a special bonus action.

Scourge

5 years ago

Plus, his brother was nicknamed Rumble (GI issues/flatulence) and his other brother was nicknamed Fumble (he dropped himself as a baby).

Scourge

5 years ago

lmaoo